Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last October, along with the iPhone 4S, Apple launched a new app called Cards that allowed iPhone owners to send real-world, customized, greeting cards to friends and relatives straight from the iPhone -- postage included.

The app was just updated with a number of new card designs, including more than two-dozen for Mother's Day, coming up on Sunday, May 13, 2012 in the U.S. There are 28 new Mother's Day cards and 28 new Get Well cards, along with a number of new cards in each of the other categories as well.

mothersdaycard-500x333.png

Each card is $2.99 when sent within the U.S. and $4.99 when sent to or from anywhere else, including postage. The Cards app is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates 'Cards' App With New Designs for Mother's Day

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Fix the damn prices already.
It's ridiculous, especially as Apple DOES have printing houses here in Europe, too, where they come from.

I'm all for simple price strategies, but this just screws us costumers real hard.

Wouldn't hurt to add "planned delivery", because a card arriving one week early is ridiculous, but looking at what some people reported, the delays are something you want to consider... *sigh*

Cards is pretty un-Apple-ish. :(

Glassed Silver:mac

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
I used it once. I received notification of card delivery and I was billed.

Two months later when I saw my recipient, I asked how they liked the card.

They had never received it.

FAIL.
Deleted.
Hidden in my apps list.

:mad:

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Ditto

I would too, but the iPhone version at 2x on the new iPad works famously.

It'll do just fine until (if) they update it.

I'd love an iPad version! Too fiddly on the iPhone!

----------

anyone actually using it? i always thought its the next "Ping"

I've used it dozens of times for family, especially those that are not into e-cards. I like the quality and the ease of use. I do, however, wish they would offer larger cards as an option.

EiriasEmrys

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
Does anyone use this?

I use it several times a month. I sent all my wedding thank you's via Cards, and it was really a great experience for myself and the recipients. It is a simple App, not too many features, but it certainly has made sending cards to my family possible, since I hate card shopping and procrastinate a lot. Plus, you can't beat being able to use your own photos. Seeing some of the cards myself has confirmed that they are created at a very high quality.

Love the app. Could it be better? Yes. I am quite happy with it and will be happily surprised at the updates, rather than complaining like a mewing cat.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
This is by far the worst of Apple's in-house apps. Poor variety of templates and outrageous pricing really bury this app. I've heard the cards themselves are good quality but not worth the price.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I can see why Apple produced this app - it totally makes sense to go after and simplify the card market, but the problem is a lot of people like being able to choose from hundreds/thousands of card designs. Apple's pared the offering down way too much. I used to work for Paper Source (at hq, not the stores) and their card department, both third party and in-house design was and still is a very small section. They definitely lose business to other shops that offer more selection. The Cards app is simply a convenience store for cards and not a very good one at that. If they want it to succeed and steal some of the millions of dollars being spent at places like Tiny Prints, they'll need to expand the offering considerably. I think part of the issue may be that they partnered with a small letterpress shop/printer that just doesn't understand how big the market is.

Perhaps that's my calling - to help Apple improve this app?

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
anyone actually using it? i always thought its the next "Ping"

I've used it on 2 occassions, 4 separate cards.

Its got a TON of potential... But they need to include alot more card options... Give us like 300 cards across different seasons/scenarios(ie get well soon, happy birthday, etc)

Just download CARDS, and get a wallpaper app and copy backgrounds from the wallpaper app ans use it as Backgrounds/pics in CARDS.

The prices arent cheap but honestly, most high end cards at target are 4.99-6.99 for just the card... Although apples cards dont compare to elite paper cards, the level of customization (in the CARDS app) adds alot of value for the customer experience.

Everytime i order a card it arrives in 3-4 days

My only gripe is the miniscule card selection

Last edited:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I was thinking that as well, but in the article above it says it's May 13th in the US.

I know, I'm just teasing, hence the winky face. I do find it quite funny to see Mother's Day stuff when it's already happened here regardless :p

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
If they could only update the quality of the finished card so it doesn't look like I printed it on an inkjet printer from 2002 and it would be a perfect app!

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Worst update EVAR

They broke the app to hell and gone with this update. It crashed 11 times on me and I had to delete and reinstall it 3 times (and, of course, the history of all the cards I had sent before was lost when I did that) to send a card.

I sent a card to 1 Infinite Loop telling them that their app sucks, that they should be ashamed that their company name is on it it's so shoddy, and that that was the last card I was ever going to buy.

----------

Yep lol. They could have done it before mothers day here.

That Apple is US-centric is not a surprise. That anyone is surprised that it is, is a surprise.

----------

Happy Mother's day, have a color blind test.

Lol. Even more funny because colorblindness almost universally afflicts men.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.