Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Hi,

We have a Late 2001 G3 iBook with OS9.2.1 running on it.

We want to record some music onto the laptop's hard drive using a standard microphone with a 4mm (or something around that size) jack plug on it.

What is the easiest way to record onto the iBook, as it doesn't seem to have an Audio-in socket like our G3 iMac does?

Also, can anyone recommend any half-decent (or free) software that will allow us to record a reasonably high quality audio file to the HD. Or, at least something that could allow us to edit a System 7 sound file (ie, cut portions out and improve gain, etc).

Thanks for the help :)

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know of any UK stockists of the iMic - Amazon and the Apple store don't seem to sell it.

Also, does anyone have any software recommendations for OS9.2.1 (500MHz G3 processor with 384Mb RAM) that would allow me to cut and slightly edit music. By edit, I mean adjust the gain and balance, and things like that.

Thanks for the help :)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
thomasp said:
Does anyone know of any UK stockists of the iMic - Amazon and the Apple store don't seem to sell it.
Amazon were hiding it here ... Wow, £25.49 is $47 ... it sells for closer to $30 here :(
Also, does anyone have any software recommendations for OS9.2.1 (500MHz G3 processor with 384Mb RAM) that would allow me to cut and slightly edit music. By edit, I mean adjust the gain and balance, and things like that.
You might try Pro Tools Free. I know that there were other, simpler recording tools for old Mac OS, but it's been too long and I've forgotten the names. You might want to spend some time with http://versiontracker.rcom and http://macupdate.com .

[edit] Ahhh, here is the other one I was thinking about. Audacity might do the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.