Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Anyone heard of CEX? Probably, it's pretty big.

Anyway, I want to get a Nano, as I don't use my iPod Touch 2nd generation anymore, as I have an Android phone, and carrying the two would be annoying, as they're similar sizes. My phone covers me for the majority of apps I use, however, I don't want music on there, as it would drain my battery quickly.

So I want a 16GB Nano. It's £129 brand new. However, they sell them used in Cex for around £95. It comes with a year's warranty from Cex.

I have an old Android phone I could sell for £49 cash, or exchange for £65 store credit, which I could use with an added extra £30 and get a used Nano.

Is it worth it, or should I just for the £49 and add the extra £80 for a new one? It's a bit of a difference price-wise, though.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...I don't want music on there, as it would drain my battery quickly...

Playing music has about the LEAST amount of batt drain of anything you can do on an iPhone. Internet surfing uses about 7x faster batt life than music playback. Apple specs up to 40 hours of music playback.

EDIT: Looks like I misread and you are using an Android and want to keep it.

You should sell them both and get an iPhone.:D

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Lol. To be honest, I quite like my Android phone. In the future I may get an iPhone, but as it stands I don't particularly need/want one. My current phone does pretty much everything the iPhone does anyway. Plus, I'd be able to fit more music on a 16GB Nano, than an iPhone, because there's no doubt I'd whack apps on it.

Either way, I like the Nano for it's portability, especially if am on my bike or something.

So what do you reckon to my question about a preowned Nano over a new one?

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Cex is good but e-bay is cheaper for used hardware just buy one thats in its warranty and then go and buy apple care also from e-bay for about £20 if your want to buy retail then spend a £10 more and go apple refurbished and get a 1 year apple warranty which means if it brakes and its not your fault you get a new one. Oh and don't sell your phone to cex they always give you less than what you would get on e-bay.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Thing is, my previous Android phone isn't that good, so I wouldn't be expecting much for it, anyway.

I'm considering handing in my iPod Touch along with my old phone to Cex for cash. If I'm right, I should get about £45-50 for my Touch, because I don't have the boxes or anything. Might have some headphones, but will have a look, and then I have the cable.

If I handed them both in I should get about £100, in which case I just need to pay £30 for a brand new Nano.

What do you think, or would I be being ripped off for the phone and the Touch? The old phone is an LG Optimus One P500, with the box and all accessories, perfect condition. The Touch is a bit scratched on the back, nothing major, just because the metal wasn't terribly scratch resistant. Maybe one or two slight scratches on the screen. Other than that fine.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Ipod touch's defiantly sell for more on e-bay than what cex give you. On eBay they generally reach not far under the price that cex sells them for. I know its a pain to carry two devices i carry both my iPhone and iPod classic. It would be cheaper for you to use your itouch and the battery life for just playing music is really good maybe not quite as good as a nano but you haven't had to shell out any more money.

Last edited:

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
I looked on eBay and the prices there seemed to be around the same for what Cex would offer me, though am not sure. Might be wrong.

I don't use the Touch for music, because basically, it's a hassle carrying around my Android phone and the Touch. My phone has a 4" screen and is slightly bigger than the iPod, so carrying around two similarly sized devices, along with my keys and wallet is a pain. Especially if am not wearing a jacket, because then my jean pockets are full to the brim.

I figured the Nano would be good cuz then I could just clip it on my jeans, and then am sorted. Phone is one pocket, keys and wallet in the other. I could put my music on my phone, but I don't imagine my phone as being a dedicated music player. Plus I already have iTunes set up, so can just sync my music straight to the Nano.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Watch some touchs on e-bay that are the same generation and same sorta condition as yours and wait for them to end before selling to cex. I know the pocket space is getting tight I carry my iPhone and iPod classic which are near enough the same size as well as my keys and wallet but it all fits in my jeans it tight though. I carry a classic cause my 16gb nano (4th gen) ran out of space. I used to have a 3rd gen touch from college as well as my old android phone (zte blade) and the screens were both 3.5 inch so it was annoying this is what happens to people who cant afford a new large capacity iPhone that does it all :( the 6 gen nano is really nice but if do want to let go of a touch and a phone to get a nano then that's what you should do just make sure you get as much as you can for both devices cause it really sounds like you have set your heart on a nano :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.