Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Perhaps the next "big thing" will be an actual Dick Tracy watch, where it's a phone, watch, and computer for the most part, all on your wrist. That would be pretty amazing, but I think we're there, technologically.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
So do you open Settings... General... Bluetooth... Bluetooth ON...... and then put on your headset to take a call?

How else do you turn on the Bluetooth?

From their page:

Q. Does it use up my phones battery? A. Pebble is a Bluetooth device, similar to a Bluetooth headset. It does affect the battery life of your phone, usually using up an extra 5-10% per day.

Extra 5-10% per day. And that's probably based on best scenario.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Damn, Apple, you could have thought about this.

I'm getting one in white. Nice concept. But est. ship date in Sept. Dang. I am going to lost when UPS shows up in Sept with a package. Ha.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I saw a survey discussed about a year ago or more on a financial news channel that people were no longer using watches to tell time since they were checking their cell phone displays instead.

This revelation indicates this device is using abandoned personal real estate with a value added application that interfaces with the watch replacement itself!

Interesting sociological change.

And yes Apple has made prototype iPod Nano wrist based prototypes and accessory manufacturers have made wrist bands for them. But not with this app functionality!

Rocketman

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
This watch looks amazing and these are some pretty smart guys but does ot appeal to this guy.

superrcat

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
hahaha, someone voted my post down already? What you mad it doesn't have a fruit logo on it or something?
The iOS SMS thing is also because of Apple, not the Pebble team. Apple won't let you have access for SMS like Android will. Maybe in iOS 6 but I doubt it. Really don't know what Apple has against products like this being able to alert you to an SMS.

Because the media cried out "privacy issues" when Apple collected location information to triangulate positions and locate cell phone towers, or having to deal with 3rd party developers abusing system access by uploading the entire photo library of users when giving an app access.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
How else do you turn on the Bluetooth?

From their page:

Extra 5-10% per day. And that's probably based on best scenario.

Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying.

Some people are so freaked out about battery life that they keep Bluetooth turned off all the time. That makes it a pain if you actually want to use it... because you have to turn it on every time.

Which... is quite a few taps.

iAshley

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Just wish apple would update the iPod nano to make it more useful as a watch, they added new faces in October, but I'm talking about seeing notifications, maybe even sending a text through Siri

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
This thing looks a bit clunky to me. I've come so used to taking the phone out of my pocket to tell time. Doesn't bother me.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Neat. Unfortunately, I have this problem of finding watches completely uncomfortable to wear myself. Maybe a Pebble pocket watch?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The biggest problem with this project is going to be Apple. iOS doesn't currently support a lot of the bluetooth profiles you would want in a smart watch including SMS, push notifications, app interaction, etc.

I was burned by the last Kickstarter program I supported. Remember this?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hern/waldok-wall-plug-in-speaker-charger-for-the-ipod-n/

Over a year and the product is still not out, nor does the guy have an ETA. THe product's design and features have changed fairly dramatically. By the time it ships, Apple will have changed the dock connector.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
This model is missing a few features I'd like to see, but I'm really excited about the possibilities. I think they're really onto something here...

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
So would a Pebble app on their store be able to display text messages from a JB'd iPhone?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Few things bug me about this product:
  • Screen quality: both the video and photos show heavy pixelization (176 pixels per inch).
  • September estimated delivery date: by then, Apple may announce next generation nano, which might even have similar functionalities for iPhone users.
  • Tiny buttons: I don't want to navigate through the phone via 80s style Casio buttons.
  • Design: It just looks cheap to me.
  • Bluetooth 2.1: Would've been nice if it used low energy Bluetooth 4.0.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Still waiting on that shoe phone though.

the-shoe-phone-get-smart.jpg

ardent73

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
How does this help me?

Between this and Google Glass, I truly weep for the human race...

I'm too depressed to explain the 47 things wrong with the design.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
The biggest problem with this project is going to be Apple. iOS doesn't currently support a lot of the bluetooth profiles you would want in a smart watch including SMS, push notifications, app interaction, etc.

I was burned by the last Kickstarter program I supported. Remember this?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hern/waldok-wall-plug-in-speaker-charger-for-the-ipod-n/

Over a year and the product is still not out, nor does the guy have an ETA. THe product's design and features have changed fairly dramatically. By the time it ships, Apple will have changed the dock connector.

Neat concept for a bathroom/shower scenario, but I don't see much use elsewhere. Plus, I never have had outlets that run perpendicular to the floor. I don't know who does, but just isn't standard around me.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I want an Apple-branded, iOS-running Wristwatch computer with 4G LTE internet that has a built-in speakerphone, can check e-mail and stocks, weather, and GPS navigation -- and a web browser -- with SIRI!!!

NOW -- that would rock, and I would buy one, even for $499.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Neat concept for a bathroom/shower scenario, but I don't see much use elsewhere. Plus, I never have had outlets that run perpendicular to the floor. I don't know who does, but just isn't standard around me.

Yeah, I really wanted it for my bathroom but I ended up with a Jawbone Jambox which works fine. Also, there's a new bluetooth shower speaker from the iGrill people coming out soon.

Whodatdumbguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
Wondering if it will be compatible with the new iPhone released around the same time. Apple has a way of making things not compatible.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Perhaps the next "big thing" will be an actual Dick Tracy watch, where it's a phone, watch, and computer for the most part, all on your wrist. That would be pretty amazing, but I think we're there, technologically.

Yep, I can't wait to read the news, view pictures or play games on a one inch screen.

Not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.