Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Works for me :)

For those that are suggesting "leave it on" that's fine, good for you.

If however you have any sort of security background or system hardening tendencies you will, by default, want anything you don't use turned off (particularly services that broadcast!).

Apples implementation of Bluetooth doesn't allow me to make my device "undiscoversble" and until it does I will only activate Bluetooth when I need it :D

Minor point really but thought it was worth mentioning as there's more motivation to turn off Bluetooth than just to conserve battery ;)

Doesn't Bluetooth need pairing before you can use it? Someone can't just start accessing your phone through Bluetooth without you first saying it's ok?

Dades

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I like to quibble too...

It's not really "much" simpler. I guess we're assuming starting from the home screen with the setting or this app visible. So the options are:

iOS Settings:
Settings --> General --> Bluetooth --> on/off
This app (auto-toggle feature off)
App --> on/off
This app (auto-toggle feature on)
App

But Settings remembers my last location, so if I most recently toggled bluetooth then its just:
Settings --> on/off

So it's just a one tap difference... that is simpler... but only a little simpler. ;)
You left out a swipe which is worse again than an extra tap...

On my iPhone at least in order to get to *General* in Settings you have to swipe down to bring it into view.

So you have tap, swipe, tap, tap, tap ... Just to switch on BT.

The new app does it in tap, tap.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
quite frankly i'm surprised that this hasn't been pulled yet. apple really need to make it easier to turn wifi and bluetooth on and off, its one of my biggest pet peeves with iOS.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I'm wondering why hasn't anyone tried to come up with a replacement app, one that doesn't have the licensing problem that got VLC pulled?

1, it was a licensing problem. Apple blocked multimedia players "only" in the first 1.5 years of AppStore - but not after that. (VLC is from H2 of 2010.)

2, most of the current (better) multimedia players in the AppStore (and Cydia) are far better than VLC. (And better than even its current Cydia version, which isn't at all better than the ex-AppStore version.) You might want to take a look at, say, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf-cGxTdCZQ&feature=player_embedded (linked from the article http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/t...-deinterlacing-full-hd-mkv-mp4-and-subtitle-p ) to see how it compares, codec speed/efficiency/quality-wise, to current top-of-the-line multimedia players. (Needless to say, VLC is on the right. Yes, VLC is waaaaaaaaaay worse.)

As is also mentioned in the article, the chart of the forthcoming Multimedia bible is already online. (Direct link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/201204-mm-chart.ods ; it's in OpenOffice format. Let me know if you absolutely can't read it and need, say, a PDF or HTML version.) While the chart is pretty rudimentary, the first column is pretty self-explanatory already. I really recommend the 5th row ("Verdict (In a word)") for a start. (Of course, if you have special codec / config / streaming needs, you'll also want to take a closer look at the other cells / rows as well.)

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
When I was on 5.01 I was using that backdoor solution that was a springboard icon that pointed to the browser with a javascript, and it called a system function (you had to initially install a settings update).

I bailed as I was figuring it would get “patched” and I didn’t want to become reliant on it, but I might try it again (I’m on 5.1 now).

It’s for FWIW:

http://brdrck.me/settings

Worked great, to quickly access the proper settings item directly from the springboard (though didn’t directly toggle, just a shortcut). Was nice for BT which is sort of buried.

No longer works under 5.1.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

AVPlayer(HD) is indeed good, but I'd say there are still better alternatives; for example, XBMC (for JB'n devices), GoodPlayer or EC Player (the latter if you need MKV HW playback.) (Check out the chart mentioned in my prev post.)

----------

and its still one of my favourite apps. Unless there's another app that will play all my video files? It will be a sad day when an OS update prevents VLC from working!

Forget VLC. Compared to current multimedia players (even in the AppStore), it has disastrous performance. It's one of the worst players now on iOS.

dancolman

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
I would love this for Wi-Fi! I can't count the number of times I've gotten stuck on a Wi-Fi network that isn't working right, either the signal is too low, or it's bogged down with users, or has no Internet access.

guspasho,

go into settings > wifi > the network you dont like > click 'forget this network'.

Your phone/pad will stop trying to connect to it, and you'll be able to use 3g. You do not need to turn off wifi to fix this problem.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I don't understand this. How can an app like this get approved (if only briefly) and yet a sound profile app can't?

I would kill for a bb like sound profile app!!

MarkLal

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Thanks to MR...

Just downloaded it and it's a simple but an efficient app which will end up saving me a lot of time in the long run given the number of times I need to toggle the BT on/off.
Thanks to MR for reporting it, or else I wouldn't have found out until much later.

:apple:

DrStern

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Torrance, CA
Maybe it isn't a violation

Maybe the app doesn't "directly control bluetooth" at all. Maybe it just translates a simple user action into the multi-step API commands without bringing up the GUI, so it completes in the background.

I haven't read the agreement, but if the application does not directly control bluetoooth, but instead simply offers an alternate interface for accessing the OS's existing bluetooth controls, which seems likely to me, then this whole "its going to be gone by tomorrow" thing is much ado about nothing.

But I'm no programmer, so I bought it anyway.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Tipple tap home and I have access to everything.

ca8b15b2.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
No longer works under 5.1.

Thanks for the heads up. I suspected it was going away pretty soon (when I originally installed it) and since I generally just like to keep up with OEM updates, I removed it even before the 5.1 upgrade.

I don’t want a whole widget-o-rama, I find they’re not that useful (I wound up running my Atrix super minimal), but I’d love a few additional widgets/extensions in the notification bar, just like the weather or stock ticker.

Just allow for 3-4 rows, and make a simple UI interface to choose/order them ... I’m looking at you iOS 6 :D

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
This is rather embarassing for iOS, as it has been a standard feature of Android for years. There's even a widget for it.

screenshot-1334711841984.png

I am not trying to imply that Android is superior. Indeed it pales in comparison to some of the things iOS can do. I'm just saying that the world's two best mobile operating systems can learn a lot from each other.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
I am not trying to imply that Android is superior. Indeed it pales in comparison to some of the things iOS can do. I'm just saying that the world's two best mobile operating systems can learn a lot from each other.

Well said sir, well said.

As for the app, I got it, but who knows if I'll use it. Whatever, only a buck :cool:

memco

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
For those of you looking for a solution, but not willing to pay $0.99 for it, you can create links to the settings on your homescreen. It doesn't allow direct toggling, but you can link straight to your BT, WiFi, etc. settings. No need to jailbreak, no need to pay for an app.

NOTE: apparently does not work with iOS 5.1.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
as may have said, SBsettings. Toggles for wifi/bluetooth/3G/etc should be standard in iOS. They would integrate extremely well into the otherwise useless (imo) notification center. Toggles have been standard on many phones since before the iPhone even existed. SBsettings is the #1 reason I jailbreak, if Apple ever includes something like it in iOS I would probably be cured of jailbreaking.

dmost714

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
What I don't get is how it takes Apple months and months to evaluate and approve one app, and then something like this gets through as if no one ever laid eyes on it.

Very weird.

95% of apps are reviewed within 5 business days..
99% of app upgrades.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Or just JB and use SBSettings.

This really shows how dumb it is to toggle certain things in iOS.
Or just leave your doors unlocked at your house and twitter that you are leaving for the weekend. ;)

"Jail" "break" mean that you are "breaking" the BSD "jails" that protect your phone from third party apps running amok. You are effectively turning your security into swiss cheese.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.