Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Sold the D7000+15-55 f/2.8 and got the D700. She has arrived. And she's a beast to hold.

uBTK5.jpg

Only 233 shutter slaps, now 234...

DHarris201204130001.jpg by darrylwharrisjr, on Flickr

Full-frame is where the party is.

Last edited:

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Congratulations!

I hope to help someone else in the world go full frame soon (that's if my 5D sells on Evilbay).

Actually I've gone in the opposite direction with a 1.3 cropped body (1d Mark II), nice to have both though.

FMJPhoto.com

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Littleton, CO

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Congrats! I'll be getting one soon too :)

Also, what app did you use to get the shutter count?

Macs have it built in.

Just use Preview app and Selector Tool

Don't think it works for Canon though since Canon seems to hide that info.

FMJPhoto.com

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Littleton, CO
Macs have it built in.

Just use Preview app and Selector Tool

Don't think it works for Canon though since Canon seems to hide that info.
No kidding? Been using my iMac for 2 years now and didn't know this lol

I'm not sure, but you can upload an image to this site..... http://www.camerashuttercount.com/

and you get a result.

(sadly not for my old Canon gear though)
Awesome into too!

Thanks guys!

*We now return you to your regularly scheduled congratulatory thread posts*

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I don't ever think I could go back to a crop body. This thing is amazing.

Well, if I was shooting birds and wildlife, it would be a different story.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Congratulations! Once you go FF, you never go back. Every since I went FF with my now sold Canon 5D, I will not go back to a crop sensor body.

Nice photos too!

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
I'm thinking of going that way too

While I can't afford the new d800, the used d700s are really dropping in price. I have 5 Nikkor Ai-s lenses that have been gathering dust and your camera choice (the Nikon d700) is a logical one for me.:) You have taken some great example shots (good eye!) and I guess that I have to get a bid in on Yahoo's auctions here in Japan.:D
Have fun!
Greg
(in the Tokyo area)

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
Your d700

I assume that you bought it used?? How did you find one with so few shutter cycles? I see that you held a pretty good range of contrast in your first shot. Is this due to some Photoshop manipulation or just an indicator of the contrast range that comes naturally with this camera?
Sorry for all the questions but I am thinking of getting one of these cameras and am collecting all the info I can before I buy.:D
Greg

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I assume that you bought it used?? How did you find one with so few shutter cycles? I see that you held a pretty good range of contrast in your first shot. Is this due to some Photoshop manipulation or just an indicator of the contrast range that comes naturally with this camera?
Sorry for all the questions but I am thinking of getting one of these cameras and am collecting all the info I can before I buy.:D
Greg

I bought it used. Some guy bought it, found out the D800 was coming out and missed his return window.

The test shot (not longer on Flickr) was to test at small aperture (checking for dirty sensor) and dynamic range. It was straight out of camera.

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
I bought it used. Some guy bought it, found out the D800 was coming out and missed his return window.

The test shot (not longer on Flickr) was to test at small aperture (checking for dirty sensor) and dynamic range. It was straight out of camera.

Thanks for the info! Very helpful. I just need to get started on bidding on one of these. I wish that I could find one with that level of shutter count but they go for a premium here - if they are available.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks for the info! Very helpful. I just need to get started on bidding on one of these. I wish that I could find one with that level of shutter count but they go for a premium here - if they are available.

Fred Miranda buy/sell forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Many camera stores in Japan have a sizable used section, I know I'll be looking for an X100 once I'm back :)

The X100 is a complete waste of time and undeserving of the hype it has received. It's frankly effectively a broken camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.