Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
You need to have VLC installed to have the current version of handbrake rip protected DVDs. And yes, it definitely works on lion :)

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
You need to have VLC installed to have the current version of handbrake rip protected DVDs. And yes, it definitely works on lion :)

I had the latest versions of VLC and Handbrake and had issues. I Googled the problem and found that others did as well which is why I redownloaded an older version of Handbrake.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I use MacDVDRipper. Just upgraded to 3.0 that allows for automatic conversion to h.264. Fairly simple program that lets you rip the entire disk, just the main movie, etc....

Haven't had a problem with a disk yet. Back in my Windows days I used DVDFab.

rexineffect

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2011
Yeah that's great

I like Handbrake, too, but the thread has gotten off topic.

What is a suitable free replacement for Mac The Ripper/ripping the content from the actual disc?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I like Handbrake, too, but the thread has gotten off topic.

What is a suitable free replacement for Mac The Ripper/ripping the content from the actual disc?

Makemkv will do that for free. You can then take the output from Makemkv and run it through handbrake to down convert to a file optimized for iPad, ATV, iPhone, etc.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
The only thing with Handbrake is that it doesn't work 100% of the time. I tried backing up 2 movies I got over X'mas so that I didn't have to take my superdrive and dvd's and it didn't work. I thought, maybe, it required an update, but no periodic updates were available. Are some, here, experiencing the same when ripping your collections?

nandez28

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
yeah i have had some problems with handbrake, I'm ripping my Soprano videos to my iPod for my daily commute on the train and even with the volume to the max its a stuggle to hear with my BT headphones on, sitting at my desk at work this morning I am relying on the volume from the iPod itself without using a headset and its just waaaaay too low. It's really not good enough.

maxfischersweet

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
so which ones actually rip the entire uncompressed dvd like mactheripper into a .vob file? Is there anything out there that does exactly what mactheripper does? i dont want mine compressed or put into any other format other than .vob (i will gladly pay plenty of money, because im going to start loosing money by my kids destroying their/my dvds.)

i used mtr forever, but as everyone else, i cant now with lion. (and obtaining the new version seems so sketchy) im thinking of installing snow leopard in another partition to start using it again.....but i really need something that can handle the newer encryptions they use these days, especially dvd dvds......which i have yet to be able to do at all....and they cost the most.

even if it still cant do disney or newer stuff, i would still like an mtr like rip.

ive been looking for ever now...

i do have windows 7 on a secondary hd....so i may have to check out slysoft...

tantarors

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
Makemkv will do that for free. You can then take the output from Makemkv and run it through handbrake to down convert to a file optimized for iPad, ATV, iPhone, etc.
I've been trying to rip some blurays to stream from my iMac on my Apple TV2. I can successfully rip them with MakeMKV and use Handbrake to convert them to m4v but when I stream the movie, there are audio drops during the movie.

willgreene99

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
DFW
I prefer The Little App Factory's RipIt to convert the DVD to a DVD Image and then Elgato’s Turbo.264HD to convert to m4v. It is very fast with this little usb dongle, about similar to recent iMac i7-quad core as I get an average of 88-127fps on my late 2010 11" 1.6Ghz C2D Air at 80% CPU Utilization, during the conversion process.

See RipIt here: http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/
ripit-the-simple-dvd-ripper-for-macs.jpg

See Elgato’s Turbo here: http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Turbo264HD/product1.en.html
elo_ws_image_gallery_2.jpg

shmonkus

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
United Kingdom
Handbrake is Awesome, but it doesn't fare too well with encrypted DVD's...... I tried backing up all of my DVD's by ripping them onto my external hard drive, and while it works with most of them, some DVD's are encrypted and therefore couldn't rip them with Handbrake.

So, providing the disk isn't encrypted, Handbrake is the way to go!

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Because handbrake isn't a ripper, it is a trans-coder.
If you have VLC installed it will trans-code alot of encrypted DVDs.
Ripit is a ripper and works well.

IEBA1

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
Dallas
I prefer The Little App Factory's RipIt to convert the DVD to a DVD Image and then Elgato’s Turbo.264HD to convert to m4v.

Can you clarify this?
What _software_ leverages the Turbo.264 to compress the DVD rip?

Is there one package that can do both? I'd like to repurpose an old PPC Mini to ripping because, of the compression is on the USB dongle, then it doesn't matter what the host computer is doing. It's a data copy & then it uses the hardware in the USB stick.

Whorton22

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
Because handbrake isn't a ripper, it is a trans-coder.
If you have VLC installed it will trans-code alot of encrypted DVDs.
Ripit is a ripper and works well.
I always use Handbrake. It does the job well and it's free. Unfortunately it's not on the Mac App Store.

mcritchier

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
has anyone used the beta dvdfab?
I don't know about 'better' I think it comes down to persona preference. MakeMKV is simple, but doesn't allow you to adjust bit rate. The interface of Handbrake it horrible and confusing compared to DvdFab, now sure DvdFab isn't cheap, but then it does come with support and they have a whole suite of programs to choose from for different tasks. Free isn't always 'better'.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Can anyone that knows please explain the difference between Handbrake and the PC software called AnyDVD and CloneDVD by Slysoft?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.