Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Does anybody recognize the typefaces used in this poster?
MacRumors Source

crazyones.jpg

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Helvetica Ultra Compressed (different weights)
Gotham

The rest look like HFJs offerings, though you can find similar on Font Squirrel.

Still a very nice typographic find.

macfearless

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
while a part of me does like the look of this, i have to say that i am officially tired of this particular design trend and the typefaces. what were once "ooh" typefaces "let's use them sparingly" are now "hey, let's make something trendy and use blah condensed italic, blah slab, blah script, blah inline." it's not ugly, it's just overused and i think that in a creative field you'd wanna steer away from looking like everything else. seriously, spend 10 minutes looking around on dribbble and you'll see darn near every one of these fonts used in a similar matter. end rant.

also, ezekialrage is right, a handful of those are definitely HF&J offerings.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
while a part of me does like the look of this, i have to say that i am officially tired of this particular design trend and the typefaces. what were once "ooh" typefaces "let's use them sparingly" are now "hey, let's make something trendy and use blah condensed italic, blah slab, blah script, blah inline." it's not ugly, it's just overused and i think that in a creative field you'd wanna steer away from looking like everything else. seriously, spend 10 minutes looking around on dribbble and you'll see darn near every one of these fonts used in a similar matter. end rant.

also, ezekialrage is right, a handful of those are definitely HF&J offerings.

Great point, actually although very cool it's kind of over done... So many of these styles of type treatment has surfaced over the last year or so, overdone or not it's still pretty cool.

Also to the OP I'd recommend I Love Typography it does have some rather nice tips for type, font suggestions and for producing similar.

For the OP, after showing it to a Typonazi friend the fonts are:
Helvetica Condensed Bold
Tungsten
Knockout
Forza
Archer (edited)
Topaz (edited)
Proteus
Vitesse
Buttermilk or Semilla

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Nice concept. Poor execution, it's so busy that it looks both cluttered & conflicted. While I can understand it's appeal to those who are sentimental, the saying doesn't fit the man as he was over the last decade.

For those living in the past, I would imagine they'd like it.

Reactions: Mike5

Mac~Head

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
I was a little bored so I made up a quite similar Hi-Res copy of this poster,

you can download it for free :D
Have a good day!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sointula

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2011
Thank you so much

Thank you SO much. I was attempting (poorly) to recreate for my husband's christmas present.

You are the best. Now let's hope I can get this printed to the size i need :)

View attachment 315590

Have a good day!

shamac

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012

View attachment 315590

Have a good day!

This is so awesome! thank u very much!

Dont kno if this is to much to ask for but do u think u can make up a hi-res copy of the one Mrguidogenio posted as well...maybe if u get bored again!? :D

KaplanMike

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Santa Monica, CA
I know at least ONE font

The words "Crazy Ones," "Status Quo" and "Who Do" are in Cyclone. Many thanks to those who correctly identified the font house H&FJ (Hoefler & Frere-Jones) as a likely source.

The one font I CAN'T figure out is the word "Forward." I'm pretty sure it's an older font that I used once back in the 1980s, but I just can't remember the name!

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
Here's what I did:

Attachments

• 245375879667356813_tUZqkv0y_f.jpg
    245375879667356813_tUZqkv0y_f.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 1,047
  • 245375879667354507_ee2s9yTo.jpg
    245375879667354507_ee2s9yTo.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 28,806

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
London
The words "Crazy Ones," "Status Quo" and "Who Do" are in Cyclone. Many thanks to those who correctly identified the font house H&FJ (Hoefler & Frere-Jones) as a likely source.

The one font I CAN'T figure out is the word "Forward." I'm pretty sure it's an older font that I used once back in the 1980s, but I just can't remember the name!

"Forward" looks like it's set in Knockout No. 26 by H&F-J (of course) ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.