Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I have the unlimited data plan.

I love myself so much for that.

BJ

Looking at your signature line I can certainly believe that you love yourself. ;)

stdwest

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
Hi,
maybe it's not your case but I wanted to share this info anyway.
A similar thing happened to me, I received a notification from AT&T saying I have used 80% of my limit and I was 4 days into my plan. I'm using wifi a lot so I checked cellular usage from my phone and it was something way below 80%. I called AT&T and they said there is sometimes that problem- people receive messages even though they have a lot of data in their data plan and walked me through some steps (reset this, power off and on). I don't know what was the issue but I don't receive that message anymore unless I really have a low less than 80% remaining in my data plan.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I had this problem over 3G as well. After enabling and trawling some logs, it turns out in my case Flipboard was the one using the lions share of data for that session. After using it on wifi, it was no different other then to say wifi I don't care much about. It's not limited to cellular.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Hi,
maybe it's not your case but… I received a notification from AT&T saying I have used 80% of my limit and I was 4 days into my plan. I'm using wifi a lot so I checked cellular usage from my phone and it was something way below 80%. I called AT&T and they said there is sometimes that problem- people receive messages even though they have a lot of data in their data plan…

Thanks for this. Cellular Data Account within Settings indicates 80% used for remaining 26 days even after restarting iPad. :(

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Thanks for this. Cellular Data Account within Settings indicates 80% used for remaining 26 days even after restarting iPad. :(

Try calling AT&T. If it's a glitch in the data as mentioned by stdwest then perhaps it's the same reason your device reports that use rate. Have you reset usage stats in settings so you can track actual usage?

I travel a lot internationally and use that rough gauge to ensure I don't bump the limits on my international roaming plan (250 mb). It always slightly over-reports what the carriers actually say I use. I just spent two weeks in Japan, with push email enabled, doing some web stuff, lots of Twitter feeds (often with photos) and using Google maps very sparingly, and still had 35 mb or so when I left. I did use WiFi in hotel rooms and for bigger photo uploads.

Even with my unlimited ATT data domestic account I rarely bump up to more than 750 MB.

Then again I don't use hulu.

The LTE and 3G systems aren't actually intended for video streaming from Hulu or Netflix- read your contract.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Not silly at all. It's a simple toggle that gives u total piece of mind. Especially if ur on a capped data plan.

It's silly to tell everyone there must be a bug in iOS because one person sees a problem so then everyone should turn off cellular.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
This is my first cellular iPad. My previous iPad 2 was wifi only.

I just looked at my first months worth of cellular data usage of the iPad and out of the 3GB plan I have used 527 MB in 22 days (I have AT&T model). That 527 MB was some emails, some web browsing, streaming Netflix, and using the eBay app. I usually turn cellular off and leave it off until I need it. I figure if the companies are going to be a pain with the different data plans then I am going to hoard my MBs and use them when I want/need versus getting all the normal traffic that gets sent to the iPad like notifications, GPS signal, email, etc...

I have an iPhone 4 as well so most of the time I use that if I need to check something. I only switch to the iPad when I am out if I want to use the larger screen to make it easier. I know a lot of people won't like this option but like I said it keeps my data usage down so I pay AT&T less and my data is there if I need it. I have 8 days left in this period so I will probably stream some more Netflix while I am away from home. :). Don't want to just give up those GBs.

IMHO, the companies should just charge $5-10/GB and call it quits at that instead of some of these ridiculous plans. $14 for 250 MB, $30 for 3 GB. I use pretty low data usage each month but never 250 MB. Always over that. Maybe 1-2 GB/month. What if I don't use 3 GB each month but I use over 250MB? There is no middle ground.

flindet

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
I had this problem over 3G as well. After enabling and trawling some logs, it turns out in my case Flipboard was the one using the lions share of data for that session. After using it on wifi, it was no different other then to say wifi I don't care much about. It's not limited to cellular.

Intriguing. I do have Flipboard installed. Can you kindly point out where you enabled/found the logs so I can see if that's my problem?

Thanks.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
It does suck that we have to micro-manage this. My wife only uses her phone for the most basic e-mail and such. 99% of the time she's using it as a "dumb" phone.

But that didn't stop the phone from deciding to use 10x the amount of data that she had ever consumed in a month, all in one night while she was sleeping. The phone was at home, well within the confines of our WiFi network. Regardless, whatever it decided to do was via cellular.

The worst part is that we're supposed to simply trust their account of data usage, but they either will not or cannot determine what the data was being used for. Think how outraged people would be if we received a cell bill with charges for undisclosed telephone calls.

What a friken scam business.....

I want to use your service, how much is it.

Its only 20$, but you cant go over or its much more

Ok, how will I know if I go over?

We will tell you.

Ok, who keeps track?

We do.

Oh so I cant tell how much im using, and I cant stop from using it, and you charge for overages and you decide when it is an overage or not, is that correct?

Yes thats right.

OK, heres my paycheck now to save time.

----------

This is my first cellular iPad. My previous iPad 2 was wifi only.

I just looked at my first months worth of cellular data usage of the iPad and out of the 3GB plan I have used 527 MB in 22 days (I have AT&T model). That 527 MB was some emails, some web browsing, streaming Netflix, and using the eBay app. I usually turn cellular off and leave it off until I need it. I figure if the companies are going to be a pain with the different data plans then I am going to hoard my MBs and use them when I want/need versus getting all the normal traffic that gets sent to the iPad like notifications, GPS signal, email, etc...

I have an iPhone 4 as well so most of the time I use that if I need to check something. I only switch to the iPad when I am out if I want to use the larger screen to make it easier. I know a lot of people won't like this option but like I said it keeps my data usage down so I pay AT&T less and my data is there if I need it. I have 8 days left in this period so I will probably stream some more Netflix while I am away from home. :). Don't want to just give up those GBs.

IMHO, the companies should just charge $5-10/GB and call it quits at that instead of some of these ridiculous plans. $14 for 250 MB, $30 for 3 GB. I use pretty low data usage each month but never 250 MB. Always over that. Maybe 1-2 GB/month. What if I don't use 3 GB each month but I use over 250MB? There is no middle ground.

How about this...

Its 10$ a gig, for email...

15$ more per gig for web browsing.

20$ a gig for social networking.

So a quick check of your email, and a look on MR, and a facebook update will only cost you $45.00 per gig.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Time to buy an unlimited plan off eBay for $700. Then you can be like Bolt, better than the rest of us... But over his ears in debt.

Yeah well Bolt is in for a shocker as ATT will be throttling unlimited accounts on the iPad. They have alread set the LTE cap at 5GB.

Then those 500 to 700 purchased SIMs wont seem like such a good deal.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Yeah well Bolt is in for a shocker as ATT will be throttling unlimited accounts on the iPad. They have alread set the LTE cap at 5GB.

While Bolt is clearly a disturbed keyboard kommando, I wonder what prompts you to write a completely unsubstantiated, undocumented bit of drivel. Jealous of unlimited plan holders much?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Time to buy an unlimited plan off eBay for $700. Then you can be like Bolt, better than the rest of us... But over his ears in debt.

No debt at all other than two modest mortgages which our financial advisor insisted we keep so as to avoid heavier taxation.

When you make a large salary (two, in fact) and don't spend like a drunken sailor, you don't need to borrow any money so there is no debt. Some rich people are, you know, smart.

BJ

dabomb1188

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
It does suck that we have to micro-manage this. My wife only uses her phone for the most basic e-mail and such. 99% of the time she's using it as a "dumb" phone.

But that didn't stop the phone from deciding to use 10x the amount of data that she had ever consumed in a month, all in one night while she was sleeping. The phone was at home, well within the confines of our WiFi network. Regardless, whatever it decided to do was via cellular.

The worst part is that we're supposed to simply trust their account of data usage, but they either will not or cannot determine what the data was being used for. Think how outraged people would be if we received a cell bill with charges for undisclosed telephone calls.

This happened to me as well. It is definitely an iOS or AT&T problem. Restoring the iPhone was the only thing that would fix it. I had over $100 in overages. Thankfully, after arguing with AT&T for an hour or two, they refunded my overage charges.

If the basic customer service doesn't work for you, email the CEO. That is what I did and he put me in touch with executive customer service who was much more understanding and able-minded.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010

Source?

Scuba-EMT

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Solomons Island, MD
I wonder what I am doing "wrong", as since receiving my IPad 3, I have only used 2.7 GB of cellular data. I never turn off the cellular connection, and I stream Sirius XM radio on my IPad's cellular connection several hours a day at work (we do not have WiFi at my office).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I run into the same problem. I'll be at work listening to Spotify and realize my work Wi-Fi is on (where I work we're not allowed to stream audio or video on the company network). So I turn it off. Then I get home and don't remember to turn it back on. Is there something they could implement in iOS that would take care of this for you? So based on the environment the software would know whether to enable or disable Wi-Fi?

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
As someone mentioned earlier, the wireless broadband paradigm in the U.S. is very troubling because it ends up being a major pain, and partially offsets the gains that are supposed to come from having access to the internet anywhere.

I've been struggling to decide whether to buy a 32GB Verizon LTE model or the 64GB Wifi-only model, and reading about these types of issues is steering me rapidly toward the latter. I would love to have the option to pay $20/mo. to do some e-mail and web browsing on the road rather than pulling out my phone, but remembering to switch off the cellular connection as soon as I'm done with it is problematic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.