Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple has pushed out several software updates to detect the Flashback malware and remove it from infected systems, Symantec noted late yesterday that over 100,000 machines remain afflicted by the issue as detected by their sinkhole operation to redirect server traffic.

flashback_sinkhole_infections.jpg

Symantec pegged the number at approximately 142,000 as of Monday, listing a rough estimate of "over 99,000" as yesterday's data was still coming in. Those numbers are down from a peak of over 600,000 machines two weeks ago, but a substantial number of machines are still infected by the malware.
The statistics from our sinkhole are showing declining numbers on a daily basis. However, we had originally believed that we would have seen a greater decline in infections at this point in time, but this has proven not to be the case. Currently, it appears that the number of infected computers has tapered off, but remains around the 140,000 mark.

As there have been tools released by Symantec and other vendors in the past few days concerning this threat, the infection numbers should have seen a dramatic decrease by now.
Symantec also takes a look at the domain name generator that allows infected machines to connect to their command-and-control servers to receive instructions. The generator uses a list of 14-character strings rotated each day, coupling each string with one of five top-level domains (.com, .net, .info, .in, or .kz) to find its instructions.

The report also claims that Flashback-infected systems can receive updated command-and-control server locations through Twitter, although no details on that process are provided. A similar claim was made for earlier versions of Flashback, although there has apparently been no demonstration of the Twitter delivery method actually being used.

Article Link: Flashback Malware Still Affecting over 100,000 Macs

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
And those 100,000 people are probably the most at risk as they aren't aware if they are giving the wrong people their info or downloading the wrong things.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Well, unless people install the remover app and run it, obviously they won't get rid of it. And there will always be many computer users clueless about these kinds of stuff.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Seems like a lot, but I guess not as a percentage. Still, new threats, I fear, will soon become the norm.

It was good while it lasted.

I hope I'm wrong.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Do we really need antivirus software for Macs? I mean, assuming the growth of the platform, and that more and more malicious programs will be written.. I consider myself pretty smart in avoiding infection, but it only takes one savy developer to trick you with some method you didn't anticipate..

I don't have any type of security software.. Should I? If so, which is the best for Mac?

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Do we really need antivirus software for Macs? I mean, assuming the growth of the platform, and that more and more malicious programs will be written.. I consider myself pretty smart in avoiding infection, but it only takes one savy developer to trick you with some method you didn't anticipate..

I don't have any type of security software.. Should I? If so, which is the best for Mac?

This is free and from the Mac App Store.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clamxav/id430207028?mt=12

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Must be those people who are scared to death of any updates and wait 4 years before finally committing.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Seems like a lot, but I guess not as a percentage. Still, new threats, I fear, will soon become the norm.

It was good while it lasted.

I hope I'm wrong.

It will and Ive been expecting this for a while now. We have had it really easy compared to Windows users, and now with Apple's market share increasing, Macs becoming far more mainstream we are bound to become targets for the Malware brigade.

Taking sensible precautions and being careful about where you download stuff is still the best way to ensure a clean system. The figure of infected Mac's is really quite low compared to the total out there now.

mac0x

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012

You don't need security software, not now or in the future.

But think about a handy firewall, just like 'little snitch'.

The so called Trojan could never contact any server with little snitch installed.
little snitch alerts you beforehand, you simply say 'no'. And that's it !

Don't panic!

MacWorld Quote:
“Little Snitch 2 marks such a dramatic improvement in user interface and functionality that I can unreservedly recommend the affordable upgrade, or an initial purchase.”
Mark H. Anbinder, May 2008
Mac Gems: Little Snitch 2.0.3

All you need to know:

• Shareware platforms are one of the big sources for malware and so called mac trojans.
  • Never install a flash update unless it is from http://www.adobe.com.
  • Deactivate Java completely, you will never need it. And if you really are one in a million, who needs it, get familiar with the threats that come along with it.

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I don't understand the concern everyone has. One trojan that infected 1% of Macs (thats right, 1%) and is easily fixed with an update compared to over a million known malware variants on Windows systems is nothing.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Apple is only providing fixes for OS X 10.7 and 10.6. Aren't there still significant numbers running Leopard or earlier?

Have media reports about Flashback explained how users were sent to infected websites in the first place? I presume it's been through URLs in junk e-mail, but I haven't heard any confirmation of that.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011

In my opinion if you take some basic precautions antiviruses are not worth the hassle. If you don't install random stuff from insecure sources and disable automatic plugin execution in the browser (click-to-play is pretty nice), you are already pretty safe.

Note that antiviruses have their drawbacks. They tend to hit performance pretty hard and can cause major issues when a false positive hits some legitimate file. Also you need to keep them updated on a daily basis, and even when fully updated there is no guarantee they have 100% coverage.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
As I installed today's Flash update, I thought to myself: how am I supposed to know if this is really Flash, or if this is actually a trojan?

So you guys tell me: how?

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011

The so called Trojan could never contact any server with little snitch installed.

Don't panic!

MacWorld Quote:
“Little Snitch 2 marks such a dramatic improvement in user interface and functionality that I can unreservedly recommend the affordable upgrade, or an initial purchase.”
Mark H. Anbinder, May 2008
Mac Gems: Little Snitch 2.0.3

All you need to know:

• Shareware platforms are one of the big sources for malware and so called mac trojans.
  • Never install a flash update unless it is from http://www.adobe.com.
  • Deactivate Java completely, you will never need it. And if you really are one in a million, who needs it, get familiar with the threats that come along with it.

The internal firewall in Mac OS X is robust enough I think. You do need to learn how to configure it though. http://www.ibiblio.org/macsupport/ipfw/

----------

As I installed today's Flash update, I thought to myself: how am I supposed to know if this is really Flash, or if this is actually a trojan?

So you guys tell me: how?

If you wanna update Flash, download it directly from Adobe, not any third-party website.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009

Don't panic!

The problem with this kind of software is often that it gives you a false sense of security where there really is none. These personal firewalls are easily tricked by hijacking legitimate web traffic or even disabling them entirely. On an infected computer nothing is save and nothing is certain.
That said .. having something like personal firewalls will still increase your security, just don't used it as an excuse to stop be aware and cautions in other places.

T.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
I call BS on all the Flashback misinformation. I have not seen this malware on any of my 3 Macs. None. Never.

I refuse to believe this is a real problem. It all sounds like Windows fanboi fud to me.

cua360

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
West Coast
Earlier OS Versions & Flashback

I know 3 people who have 10.4 / 10.5 running. How should they check/reid themselves of this trojan? i have yet to see advice on this.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
malware

1. Macs are still the safest platform on the planet. 100k infections compared to millions of infected Windows systems is nothing, and this particular trojan is easily avoided. As usual, computer n00bs were/are the weak link.

2. Always run anti-virus software, but choose a product that's not going to kill system performance or constantly run in the background and do all kinds of unnecessary stuff. Even if your Mac won't be infected, you can store and pass along files laden with Windows viruses to friends and colleagues. Help keep them safe. I use ClamXav myself.

3. Keep your system updated. 'Nuf said.

4. MacOS has a built-in firewall. Use it. Will it keep everything out? No. Will it help? Yes.

5. Download/install apps/plugins/etc. only from reputable sources. When you update Flash, get it only from Adobe.com. For duh!

6. Pay attention to industry news. When malware such as this surfaces, someone usually detects it reasonably quick, and avoidance/repair measures are usually produced in short order.

7. Each new version of MacOS X becomes more secure. Keep up to date.

8. Yes, Apple could do a better job addressing malware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.