Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Do you know what it's going to be called?

People have to call it something until it's announced. Who gives a crap - we all know the rumour relates to the next iPhone. 5, 6, HD, *new* whatever.

Yes. Based on the iPad release, it will be called the new iPhone. Did you miss that whole conversation? Lots of people care, just because it's not important to you doesn't mean it's not important.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Um.... LIQUIDMETAL?!? :eek:

Awesome. Simply awesome. I'm ready to buy it based on that word (or words?) alone!

And yes, before you down-vote me, I am a sucker for all things Apple.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I would love to see the new iPhone sooner than later but I believe October is the new release month unfortunately.

chuges

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
In July I know what Android can offer to me, but I won't know what Apple will offer.

It all depends on what Apple is going to do with iOS 6, when they are announcing the next-gen iPhone and what they are going to do with the next-gen iPhone.

I'll go with the best device available, and for me that was normally a recently-announced iPhone with a new version of iOS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This year, the choice is more difficult. I have found that, in my opinion, for the first time ever Google has a really stable, and good, version of Android (Android 4.0). And the Android Market/Play Store is 'up to date' with the most popular apps.

If the choice is this:

- An iPhone 4S (2011) with iOS 5

versus

- A decent, just released Android phone with Android 4.0

Than I'll settle with the last one. I know iOS 5. And the iPhone 4S is not worth the upgrade over the iPhone 4 (and yes, I have actually tried a 4S).

you can't just use your iphone 4 until the next iphone is released and then make a decision then?

i thought phone contracts were designed to keep you loyal to the company for (~)2 years in exchange for a cheaper phone, so once the 2 years are up you're free to use your phone indefinitely at the same contract price. And you only have to renew a 2-year contract when you want a subsidized price on a new phone.

at least that's how i think it works with verizon...my dad had an upgrade sitting there for like 10 months before he renewed his contract

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Based on the source's unreliable track record, the preponderance of expectations pointing to a release later in the year, and a lack of corroborating claims regarding Apple's plans for Liquidmetal's alloys, we believe that this rumor is not particularly reliable. Consequently, we are posting this claim to our blog primarily for reader interest and discussion.
"We want page hits."
Of cause. It's always the case. At least MacRumors admit it this time.

And the smart man would bet on the new iPhone to be released this year. There will be no iPhone 5. Just like there is no iPad 3.
(For those those who don't get it, there is an iPad 3rd generation).

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
Because of the fact we haven't heard anything about iOS 6, I am imagining that WWDC will be where iOS 6 is revealed with a launch date in the fall and along with iOS 6, the new iPhone will be launched at a media event in the fall like last year. Apple seems to like to give devs about 3 months with the new SDK before it goes gold and typically Apple releases a new model that coincides with a new iOS version. If we saw iOS in March, then yes new iPhone at WWDC but since we didn't, it is going to be like last year.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Apple seems to like to give devs about 3 months with the new SDK before it goes gold and typically Apple releases a new model that coincides with a new iOS version. If we saw iOS in March, then yes new iPhone at WWDC but since we didn't, it is going to be like last year.

Agreed. 'Analysts' don't seem to understand the software process.

Developers can't magically make new software in a couple days after an iOS version is released. Like you said, developers typically need a few months. Apple understands this, and releases the SDK, and then within 2-3 months, the new phone. Because what good is a new iOS when there is no software for it?

'Analysts' are just people paid to make stuff up without facts.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Besides speculations about release (or not) date of a new iPhone, I'd expect to read in this thread what could mean a phone made from liquid metal. Are there any specific features that this material offers ?

Besides the generic uninformative "thinner" description of the article, anyone knows what this material can offer to a mobile device ? Now, that would be worthy to read.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
About time that Apple releases a serious product made of liquid metal instead of the sim removal tool.
On the other side this news is not credible, iPhone will not be released in June when Apple had a very good quarter after releasing it in October.

But I do hope something will be made of LM, hopefully the new MacbookPros.

Besides speculations about release (or not) date of a new iPhone, I'd expect to read in this thread what could mean a phone made from liquid metal. Are there any specific features that this material offers ?

Besides the generic uninformative "thinner" description of the article, anyone knows what this material can offer to a mobile device ? Now, that would be worthy to read.

Google is your friend.;)

fredfnord

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
News flash!

it would be amazing if apple announced the next iphone in june! I always loved the atmosphere surrounding the wwdc.

It's also sort of a dealbreaker, my telecom contract expires this summer and than i'll pick a new phone - and it won't be the 4s (i'm ready for a new design and new features which the 4s doesn't really offer compared to the 4 (siri does not work in my language)), so i'll go with the best device available than.

If apple announced and launched their iphone in june or july, than that would mean that they will at least keep me as a customer. :)

...dateline cupertino: One current iphone user who can't stand to wait a couple of months after his phone contract is up to buy another is going to buy a non-apple phone instead. The news has caused widespread panic among apple employees, and has sent apple (aapl) stock into a nose dive. More on this situation as it develops.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
I find it doubtful that Apple would release its main product (and cash-cow) with a novel technology that hasn't being used yet for mass production.

The same way they are using the "old" iPad 2 to test a die reduction of the A5 (to see if the manufacturers manage proper yields), the first Liquid metal in a real technological product (the sim removal pin doesn't count) has to be something produced in lesser quantities, any mac would do.

I'll rather bet on LiquidMetal MacBooks (Pro / Air / whatever) or iMacs.

The Minis & Pros don't sell enough units to waren't a complete change of manufacturing process, and seen that CPUs and GPUs are trying to consume less power and generate less heat, their design are probably overkill for the next generation of chips (changes will be internal not external).

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Faraday? Anyone? :confused:

iPhone 1? All 3G/4G iPads? Unibody HTC phones? It's possible to design a metal enclosure that still has some area that is RF transparent. Also, Apple seems to like to incorporate the case into the antenna structure (see iPhone 4/S), and liquidmetal allows for that too (it's currently used for some wifi antenna devices).

The hardest part to believe about this rumor is that Qualcomm could have 28nm LTE chip availability ready for apple quantities by June. On that alone (and my belief that Apple is going LTE on the next iPhone), I call this rumor bogus.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
'Analysts' are just people paid to make stuff up without facts.

I am now an analyst...
Apple will be revealing three new iPhone in all new sizes in about a month...The iPhone Baby Bear (3.2" screen) is described to be just too small. The iPhone Papa Bear (4.6" screen) is described to be too big and the iPhone Mama Bear (4" screen) is described to be just right.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Rise of the machines :D

metal.jpg

EDIT: Ahhh, 1080p beat me to it. I don't know how I missed that.

Last edited:

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
...dateline cupertino: One current iphone user who can't stand to wait a couple of months after his phone contract is up to buy another is going to buy a non-apple phone instead. The news has caused widespread panic among apple employees, and has sent apple (aapl) stock into a nose dive. More on this situation as it develops.

Where are we without humor? :)

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Assuming that the new iPhone will have iOS 6, then Apple needs to give developers time to beta test and develop for iOS 6. That implies a June iOS 6 announcement and a October new iPhone release. If there was going to be a June iPhone release, we would have already had an iOS 6 announcement and public beta.

Tony

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
In July I know what Android can offer to me, but I won't know what Apple will offer.

It all depends on what Apple is going to do with iOS 6, when they are announcing the next-gen iPhone and what they are going to do with the next-gen iPhone.

I'll go with the best device available, and for me that was normally a recently-announced iPhone with a new version of iOS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This year, the choice is more difficult. I have found that, in my opinion, for the first time ever Google has a really stable, and good, version of Android (Android 4.0). And the Android Market/Play Store is 'up to date' with the most popular apps.

If the choice is this:

- An iPhone 4S (2011) with iOS 5

versus

- A decent, just released Android phone with Android 4.0

Than I'll settle with the last one. I know iOS 5. And the iPhone 4S is not worth the upgrade over the iPhone 4 (and yes, I have actually tried a 4S).

i love how you get downvoted for sharing your opinion. pathetic lol and yep i agree with you, if the new iPhone doesnt convince me, ill go with the Galaxy S III or something like that. ive been using the iPhone since 2007, its time for something fresh in my case

---

maybe a announcement with a 4+ screen and iOS6 in june will give the devs enough time to adjust their apps for both old 3.5 iPhones and the new 4+ iPhone

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The hardest part to believe about this rumor is that Qualcomm could have 28nm LTE chip availability ready for apple quantities by June. On that alone (and my belief that Apple is going LTE on the next iPhone), I call this rumor bogus.

I think Apple _has_ to go LTE with their next phone, now that they’ve introduced that tech into their product lineup. I’m with you on charting the availability of the smaller/more energy efficient LTE component as an indicator of the next iPhone release.

:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.