Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
What a waste of money and time. They're gonna feel pretty stupid when Apple does even better with this years iPod nano revision, and basically erases this product from existence.

I think the new Nano is going to have some new features like this.

Otherwise, yah I agree, this watch idea is pretty lame. Requiring your smartphone to be near you, might as well use your smartphone.

tonytiger13

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Because of the reason above. Why have something that is 2 steps over 1 ?

I get your point, fine. Why have a desktop and monitor, just get an all-in-one or laptop. If I can carry a comparatively bulky device in my book bag or pocket and never have to pull it out, then I'm all for it. That means more power (processor, ram, etc.) but less you have visible. I'd love the option to run my iPhone from an iPod nano on my wrist (Siri, SMS, etc.) if Apple designed it like so. I can then pull out the iPhone when I need more screen real estate.

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
yeah, you're right... there's absolutely no market for this device. everyone should just keep their phones on the magical table they always have in front of them.

OMG...you have to be kidding me...

1)If you're outside walking around, the iPhone is already in your pocket

2)If you're home or at work (other than maybe construction sites), you should have a table/desk/counter/nightstand to put your phone on. If you work at Target as a cashier your phone will be in your pocket already. Please give us an example of a job role that you cannot even exemplify in your post/reply to me. Scuba divers? Parachutists? Alligator wrestlers?

3)The market is for the 5000 bozos that can't somehow manage their iPhone alerts while the 20million+ other iPhone users can just fine.

I wonder how many of these people signed up and will later realize that they need to have their iPhone within a few feet of this watch!! And their video commercial shows (and narrates) a woman jogging with an iphone in her pocket!! I hate to tell them, but NOBODY jogs with an iPhone in their pocket!

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Yo dawg, I heard you like portable devices, so we made a portable device that tells you when your portable device is ringing so you can carry two portable devices.

This was my first thought after watching the video. Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't this watch require you have your iPhone with you too? If so, why would you take your phone with you while running or cycling? Why would I want to carry TWO devices?

those of us w/ jobs that receive constant emails will appreciate the fact we don't need to whip out our phones every few minutes to see if it's important.

Maybe this isn't plausible for you, but I have different e-mail accounts and only receive business e-mail on one account. This is the only account for which I receive e-mail on my phone. I am clear to my business associates to only send business e-mail (no junk mail, ffs, etc) or I will block them. Non-business e-mail can wait until the end of the work day.

Last edited:

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Good for those who cannot have their phone nearby, but within 30-ft.

The fact that it does not have a camera, nor a microphone nor a speaker that could be turned into one makes it really good for some people. Any real James Bond types who work in classified areas that require their cell phones to be stored in a drop box area, but reside within that 30-ft radius of the cell phone bin will now be able to get their messages, and know when their phone is buzzing away with the caller's ID. That is reason enough for people in that arena to get this accessory, but please discuss with your FSO first.

The App that will be hugely beneficial to some is a power meter that alerts the battery status of the iPhone, iPod, iPad, or Droid device that it is connected. You can also bet another useful app is a vib alert letting you know your device is no longer in range (you can easily determine if it was stolen, or you just got out of range of it and left it behind).

I like it because I can keep my brightness down low, my iPad in the bag, and still get all my alerts (which would extend the iPads battery tremendously). This keeps my iPad protected, out of visibility, and I can read my messages on e-paper.

Last edited:

darksolusion

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
Here's my 2 cents for convincing 9 other people to buy this watch with me.

let's start off...yes i always have my phone with me, and i also wear a watch too. but i bought into this because my phone is always on silent. I work in a office that's quiet as hell, and next thing i need is to have my awesome ringtone go off and catch the attention of EVERYONE. We are allowed to use cell phones, but its just a very quiet office, and I dont like having my phone on my desk all the time. I miss quite a bit of phone calls this way, but with the watch notification it will happen no more.

scenario 2: i take public transit during rush hours. I listen to my music through my phone, but my phone is always in my pocket cause there's absolutely no space to pull out your phone to change music or text or read text what so ever. ****** song comes on (you all know you have ****** songs in your mp3 player) and all i have to do is press my watch to change songs. no phone pulling cord unplugging phone dropping face or stomach elbowing.

Scenario 3: While at the gym, or biking or running, my phone is strapped onto my lower back with water bottles. raise my wrist, OH im running this far. raise my wrist, press button CAUSE ****** SONG WAS ON. raise my wrist, read screen, press button, answer phonecall, "OH hi grandma, i'd love to come over for dinner @ 7, that gives me 2 hours to get ready(check time on watch)". ALL without pulling your phone.

TO HATERS:
People who complain don't understand the concept of this watch. DO WE NEED IT? no. its a premium item that makes certain aspect of your life easier. That's it, you like it? good embrace it. you don't like it? don't come up with stupid reasons to **** talk. It's a Watch. It will work as a watch WITHOUT your phone around you. all other features are bonuses when your phone is around you. Thats it plain and simple.

housemeisterB

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
Great idea, but kind of nerdy. There's no way that I'm going to wear this instead of my Breitling watch. It's what separates the men from the boys.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I get your point, fine. Why have a desktop and monitor, just get an all-in-one or laptop.

If I had a desktop or monitor, I wouldn't be getting a laptop.

That's the point.

You have to have your iPhone or Droid phone for this to work. At that point, there is no need for the watch. Use your phone.

So using your analogy and how this watch works with your smart phone, that would mean that the laptop would require the desktop/monitor to be near it to work.

Do you not grasp what we're talking about here?

People who complain don't understand the concept of this watch. DO WE NEED IT? no. its a premium item that makes certain aspect of your life easier. That's it, you like it? good embrace it. you don't like it? don't come up with stupid reasons to **** talk. It's a Watch. It will work as a watch WITHOUT your phone around you. all other features are bonuses when your phone is around you. Thats it plain and simple.

We understand the concept just fine...and how stupid it is.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
OMG...you have to be kidding me...

1)If you're outside walking around, the iPhone is already in your pocket

2)If you're home or at work (other than maybe construction sites), you should have a table/desk/counter/nightstand to put your phone on. If you work at Target as a cashier your phone will be in your pocket already. Please give us an example of a job role that you cannot even exemplify in your post/reply to me. Scuba divers? Parachutists? Alligator wrestlers?

3)The market is for the 5000 bozos that can't somehow manage their iPhone alerts while the 20million+ other iPhone users can just fine.

lol.

if you can't think of any practical uses for a watch that's already gained 4.5mil $ worth of support, pretty sure you're going to be a cashier at target for a very long time.

"Now: Dell Dimension 530 3gig, quad-core, 4TB; Thinkpad W500 8gig, 128DG SSD and 500GB SATA drive; Thinkpad W520 16GB, 128GB SSD, Mac Mini Core 2 2gig, 160gig "

what's the practical use for that many machines? can't you simply carry a single laptop with you everywhere you go? that's what your argument sounds like.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I voted you down for writing for shoving an apostrophe in "days" for no reason.

Just kidding, I voted you up, but you do suck at apostrophes.

looks like good English on the parts I typed.
I love the haters with no jobs on here. I work in an office of over 100 where you can't use a mobile.
Anyway don't cry too much that Apple didn't invent this watch. And I just love the reasoning of why would you wear a Philippe Patek when an iPhone will do! hahaha.

Last edited:

webgeer

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
Extremely useful for me

A lot of people seem to think that this is not useful for them. That is fine, but I'm not sure why you feel compelled to announce that in this forum. For myself I have a lot of cases where I see it being extremely useful. I'll give you some examples:

1. Running. I love runmeter to track some information while I am running (and cycling), but with the phone in my pocket, quickly checking my pace, or pushing the "lap" putton to set a split time, or the start/stop is very difficult. I currently use my timex for tracking split times and iPhone with runmeter for overall times. It is very inconvenient. Having display of some key information on my watch, and the ability to use the buttons on the side will be great. (Granted this will require compatible apps, but I have faith)

2. Silent alerts. I spend a lot of time in places where my phone must be silent. I frequently miss alerts because I don't feel the vibrate alert. Getting it on my wrist will be great. This is probably even more relevant for those who are not able to carry their phone in their pocket.

3. Wrist watch. I have always worn a wrist watch, and granted this is a little large, but an open SDK, epaper display will make an incredible watch, that can be fully customized.

I do think it is important that everyone who invests understands that this is a kickstarter project. They do not yet have a actual product (just a prototype). You pay your money and you take your chances. With the number of people that have participated in the kickstarter, this is a totally different scale of manufacturing than what they had planned when they started the kickstarter project. It seems quite likely that they will have a hard time meeting this supply in the time period they have planned. There is a risk involved.

The other thing to remember is that this is a v1.0 product. Inevetably there will be new generations and competing products. If you like the idea, but think that it is no good without some feature (BT 4.0 for example) wait.

Personally I am looking forward to it and hope my existing watch will keep working for the next 6 months.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
A lot of people seem to think that this is not useful for them. That is fine, but I'm not sure why you feel compelled to announce that in this forum. For myself I have a lot of cases where I see it being extremely useful. I'll give you some examples:

1. Running. I love runmeter to track some information while I am running (and cycling), but with the phone in my pocket, quickly checking my pace, or pushing the "lap" putton to set a split time, or the start/stop is very difficult. I currently use my timex for tracking split times and iPhone with runmeter for overall times. It is very inconvenient. Having display of some key information on my watch, and the ability to use the buttons on the side will be great. (Granted this will require compatible apps, but I have faith)

2. Silent alerts. I spend a lot of time in places where my phone must be silent. I frequently miss alerts because I don't feel the vibrate alert. Getting it on my wrist will be great. This is probably even more relevant for those who are not able to carry their phone in their pocket.

3. Wrist watch. I have always worn a wrist watch, and granted this is a little large, but an open SDK, epaper display will make an incredible watch, that can be fully customized.

I do think it is important that everyone who invests understands that this is a kickstarter project. They do not yet have a actual product (just a prototype). You pay your money and you take your chances. With the number of people that have participated in the kickstarter, this is a totally different scale of manufacturing than what they had planned when they started the kickstarter project. It seems quite likely that they will have a hard time meeting this supply in the time period they have planned. There is a risk involved.

The other thing to remember is that this is a v1.0 product. Inevetably there will be new generations and competing products. If you like the idea, but think that it is no good without some feature (BT 4.0 for example) wait.

Personally I am looking forward to it and hope my existing watch will keep working for the next 6 months.

Asides maybe from price do you find any key features are included in this watch that wristtop watch from Garmin or Suunto can't offer you?

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Wow. The MacRumors comments have gotten just as bad as YouTube comments. MacRumors used to be a fun place to exchange thoughts and ideas with other Apple/gadget fanatics... not really anymore. The insulting replies and small-minded posts have gotten ridiculous.

This item may be for you, it also may not. Regardless, why make fun of the product and the people who support it? It's childish.

BTW, for those who are interested, they just launched the official Pebble forums: http://forums.getpebble.com/

webgeer

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
Asides maybe from price do you find any key features are included in this watch that wristtop watch from Garmin or Suunto can't offer you?

I did look at the Garmin watch quite seriously, but for running, there are a lot of features I like about using runmeter, that a fitness watch does not provide. (Announcements, integration with social networks, on device tracking, etc.) The one thing that has been missing is an easy way to read some information and to do lap splits. So this watch in combination with the features of runmeter (or runkeeper, or one of the other run tracking apps) is a winning combination in my mind.

duck69

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
Watch Alerts

:eek::eek::eek: So, tell me, who would really need this ?
My phone alerts me, my pad alerts me & my computer alerts me.
So, what is the point of having this.
Heck it's just another useless gadget in my opinion.

JC

TheEpeter

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
:eek::eek::eek: So, tell me, who would really need this ?
My phone alerts me, my pad alerts me & my computer alerts me.
So, what is the point of having this.
Heck it's just another useless gadget in my opinion.

JC

Because all those are "NEEDS". For $115 to have an interesting watch to share with people, why not.

Tsunami911

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Sounds cool...

But the screen looks horrible.

Call me when it is a color retina screen ;) Just kidding...but I think color is a must.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.