Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
For some reason, Pages (09) will not open ANY word document. I can save a document in .doc format, but when I try to go back an open it, pages says the file can't be opened. Why? They will open in text edit.

musty345

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
United Kingdom
Saving in different formats

Try saving your word document as a 'Microsoft Word 1997-2003' document, or saving them as PDFs, then try opening them.

Also, if you have an iCloud account, log into that, go into the iWork section and upload this document, then try and download it again or see if it lets you convert it.

I'm not sure if these to ideas will work but they're worth a shot.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

I'm not sure if these to ideas will work but they're worth a shot.
Um-m-m-m, no. They are not. It is true that Pages will import Word 1997-2004 format .doc files. Pages also does a beautiful job with Word 2007-2011 .docx documents.

Where you got the notion that a PDF file good substitute for a wordprocessing document is a mystery. Pages accepts PDFs as inserted graphics files. PDF files cannot be opened in Pages like .pages, .doc, or .docx files.

musty345

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
United Kingdom
Where you got the notion that a PDF file good substitute for a wordprocessing document is a mystery. Pages accepts PDFs as inserted graphics files. PDF files cannot be opened in Pages like .pages, .doc, or .docx files.

Ah yes you're right about that, sorry, but wouldn't uploading the document to iCloud and converting it be a good idea?

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I just downloaded the iWork update, and updated pages to 4.1. Now it works fine!

Ps- nice tip on deleting programs... I personally use the free app called App Cleaner, which is an easy way to delete the files associated with a specific program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.