Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Sure you will once there is an apple logo on it.

----------

And 6 to 20 times the price.

Yeah, but Im watch s machined metal and touch glass capcative....this thing is all plastic..sp its actually more of a waste of money than Im Wach is expensive

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Sure you will once there is an apple logo on it.

----------

And 6 to 20 times the price.

Ummm.... no. If I'm going to buy anything with an Apple logo on it, it's going to be a 2008 Mac Pro if my iMac dies one day.

MrSandman

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14740285/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14739659/

Both excellent posts for how this watch can be beneficial. I'm surprised that with so many apple users (who are known for being creative) reading this post, that they can't think creatively on ways to use this.

Remember, this is waterproof. The nano will not be waterproof and i'm not about to dip my nano in some protective coating to make it waterproof and void the warranty. Also, the nano plus wristband to convert it to a watch will not be this cheap.

Its also nice to be able to wash dishes, go jogging, take a quick shower at the gym, walk in the rain, work in the yard, wash my car, bathe my kids, or wash my hands without the fear of getting water on my watch. If i'm washing dishes and i want to know what time it is, right now i'd have to walk over to the microwave and look, yell out to my wife to tell me what time it is, or dry my hands and pull out my iphone. Sometimes i'll be playing music while doing things around the house. If i want to change tracks, i'll have to find a remote, or walk over to the iphone and hit a button. With this watch i won't have to dry my hands, or yell for my wife or look for a remote. Its all on my wrist.

I also need this watch because i always keep my phone in vibrate and in my pocket. I don't wear skinny jeans so i will often miss phone calls and text messages because i don't feel my phone vibrating. This is especially the case when i'm at work wearing slacks or khakis. This watch will minimize those occurrences.

Most of the time when i'm at home my phone will be on the couch, on a table or on a counter charging. I don't keep it in my pocket. I get way more text messages and emails than i do phone calls. If my phone is on a counter or away from me, Its always nice to be able to read a text message without having to get up from my spot or stop what i'm doing. If its urgent, and requires a response, i'll get up and grab my phone to respond. If its informative, rhetoric or non-urgent, its nice to know that without having to stop what i'm doing. I'll just get up and grab my phone when i'm free and respond then.

When i'm driving i get a text message or email and i want to know what it says or who it came from. Rather than grab my phone, unlock it, or worse punch in my unlock code, and risk getting a ticket or getting into an accident, i can glance at my watch and get the info i need safely.

I could probably go on. But then again, if you honestly cannot see an immediate need for this watch, and need someone to sell it to you, then its not for you. As for me, i took one look at the video and knew i had to have it.

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
What's the range on BT (is it around 30 meters or less?), sometimes I leave the phone lying around the house so something like this would be ideal.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Pebble in USA Today

Pebble just received another boost from USA Today columnist, Edward C. Baigg. The article focuses on Sony's attempt at a smart watch for Android phones, but Pebble receives a mention at the end of the article along with other smart watch projects, including a GPS watch from Nike and TomTom and the MotoActv from Motorola, both of which are focused on fitness activities. Baigg's conclusion: smart watches offer intriguing possibilities but Sony's SmartWatch has a long way to go.

Perhaps there is a market for this watch, but just not for me.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Pebble just received another boost from USA Today columnist, Edward C. Baigg. The article focuses on Sony's attempt at a smart watch for Android phones, but Pebble receives a mention at the end of the article along with other smart watch projects, including a GPS watch from Nike and TomTom and the MotoActv from Motorola, both of which are focused on fitness activities. Baigg's conclusion: smart watches offer intriguing possibilities but Sony's SmartWatch has a long way to go.

The TomTom Nike Plus watch is a great sports watch, it also syncs with heart rate sensors and shoe sensors. I'm not a sporty person but thought it was always cool, it also won a CES award. But I wouldn't call it or the MotoActv smart watches? Maybe smart sports watches?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011

There definitely is a market for this. Find the Pebble lacks features. But I do like the Motoactv. All these options are too expensive for my liking.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
We are allowed to use cell phones, but its just a very quiet office, and I dont like having my phone on my desk all the time. I miss quite a bit of phone calls this way, but with the watch notification it will happen no more.

Solution: Leave your phone on your desk all the time.

Where do you put it? Your purse?

I don't see what's wrong with leaving it on the desk and then putting it away or taking it with when you leave your desk. Why hide the phone?

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
The most retarded thing I've heard all day. No thanks.

----------

Means they're pack rats and high maintenance. Feel sorry for you.

actually, she's far from a princess. Just doesn't seem to clean her purse as much as I thought a woman should/would :)

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
What's the range on BT (is it around 30 meters or less?), sometimes I leave the phone lying around the house so something like this would be ideal.

They are going to be using Bluetooth 2.1 at this stage, which has a range of 10 meters.

ThHeartlessHero

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2012
I created an unofficial forum that launched a couple days before their official one and while I hope the community will join and participate at both, I won't hold it against them either way.

I have created a couple of FAQs regarding the Pebble and such that anyone interested in should check out. It was recently discovered yesterday that the screen inside the Pebble may be a Sharp Memory LCD display.

Official Forums
http://forums.getpebble.com

Unofficial Pebble Forums
http://pebbleforums.com

What is the Pebble? A Detailed FAQ
http://pebbleforums.com/faqs-guides-f13/what-is-the-pebble-t4.html

International Shipping Guide
http://pebbleforums.com/faqs-guides-f13/international-shipping-t3.html

Mini Kickstarter FAQ
http://pebbleforums.com/faqs-guides-f13/mini-kickstarter-faq-t29.html

Last edited:

Ramonn

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
I liked it!

I used tonnes of different watches in the past but atm I have none =)

I'm not too delicate about watches, this looks pure simple and light so with iPhone support I think its well worth the price. Beign waterproof and long battery life just adds on to it.

Will wait and see.

Nice.

BTW a start-up sum of $5m for an iDevice accessory is huge!

Design it, manufacture it, sell it. $5m to start off with. Great.

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Hahaha, where have you been Mac Rumors? This has been all over the news for day's now

Weird, this was the part I was trying to quote. Why do people use apostrophes to make nouns plural? Just add an S.

Days

Greggio

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
Tāmaki Makaurau, Aoteroa
Those who can't see a use for this must be living a completely sedentary lifestyle.

The main use that's prompted me to pledge:

I run. I use my iPhone and RunKeeper to track distance. Because of the size of the iPhone and the fact it's not waterproof, it goes in a small Camelback bag on my back. So I'm currently limited to getting updates on my running speed through my headphones. I also listen to music over the headphones.

This watch will enable me to see distance, time and speed data on the watch, which is a big improvement. I also expect to be able to start and pause workouts from the watch. And I'll be able to change the volume on my music and skip tracks etc.

To my mind, Pebble is the right approach. It'll be waterproof (at least enough for this). It's thin client - I don't want to have to synch music to another device. It'll be readable outdoors (Sony, I'm Watch etc, won't with regular LCD screens). The battery life's acceptable at 7 days+. Yeah I could buy a Garmin watch, but that's a single purpose device. This will have other uses and serve as a reasonable watch in the interim (the Garmin 305 doesn't).

The other stuff that's possible is a just a bonus for me. But not to see any possible uses shows a lack of imagination - it reminds me of those who wrote off the original iPhone in 2007. Who knows at this point where it could go. Remember, it's not just about displaying info that you could see on your iPhone screen - it can also be used to control the phone.

Here's an example for the sedentary among us - I sometimes use Air Video to stream movies off the NAS and watch them on my TV. This could easily be made to work as a remote for Air Video, saving you from having to get off the couch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.