Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaliena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Can anyone shed some light as to why YouTube videos are being cropped?
Manually set the Apple TV to 1080p 60 Hertz. It's a minor crop, but I'm perplexed as to why I can't find a way to stream the video at the native aspect ratio. Currently the video always fills the screen when I imagine it should display with a bar along the top and bottom to accommodate the video (as DVD or bluray do).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

adam2000

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
Can anyone shed some light as to why YouTube videos are being cropped

I think you are confused about few things at once. I have seen a lot of people asking the same youtube question in here and almost every time it's because their HDTVs are set on 16x9 rather than "Screen Fit" (Samsung) or "Just Scan" (LG), etc. It is always the first instinct to think Apple TV is cropping but 99% of the time it has nothing to do with Apple TV.

Let's get few things clear though because some things you said doesn't add up.

If you have a widescreen HDTV (16x9 aspect ratio):
1) The reason most blu-ray movies show black bars on top and bottom is because the movies are shot with a wider aspect ratio than 16x9. It's called Anamorphic or scope and it can range anywhere between 2.00-2.75 wide.
2) Most DVDs have 16x9 aspect ratio so you shouldn't be getting any black bars. I haven't watched any newer DVDs for years since I upgraded to blu ray so I might be mistaken about the fact that DVDs do not come with scope aspect ratio. I want to say that's a blu ray thing but somebody will correct me if I am wrong.
3) Youtube videos usually either have 4x3 or 16x9 aspect ratio. I haven't seen many scope ones so it is normal to fill the HDTV screen or have black bars on the left and right. If you do notice a crop between a version on a computer and TV, change the TV's aspect ratio settings which I talked about above.

If you have an older 4x3 TV which I doubt:
1) You will have black bars with most DVD content and even bigger bars with blu ray content if shot in scope.
2) If it fills the screen with youtube videos then you are watching videos there are 4x3 aspect ratio.

I am also thinking that maybe you are comparing the youtube videos on an iPad which almost every time has black bars on top and bottom. Keep in mind that iPad has 4x3 aspect ratio, not 16x9.

Last edited:

Kaliena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
It was the Screen Fit option. It's been so long since I added something to my media setup I forgot that was even a consideration. All better now. Thank you!

Macgeeza

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
It was the Screen Fit option. It's been so long since I added something to my media setup I forgot that was even a consideration. All better now. Thank you!

Is the screen fit option on your TV or on the apple tv?, just wondering because I have the same problem as you had.

Kaliena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Is the screen fit option on your TV or on the apple tv?, just wondering because I have the same problem as you had.

On the TV. I had to dig out my Samsung remote. Tune into the correct source and it was under Picture options from the Menu.

Phaidth

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
I can't get through this

I think you are confused about few things at once. I have seen a lot of people asking the same youtube question in here and almost every time it's because their HDTVs are set on 16x9 rather than "Screen Fit" (Samsung) or "Just Scan" (LG), etc. It is always the first instinct to think Apple TV is cropping but 99% of the time it has nothing to do with Apple TV.

Let's get few things clear though because some things you said doesn't add up.

If you have a widescreen HDTV (16x9 aspect ratio):
1) The reason most blu-ray movies show black bars on top and bottom is because the movies are shot with a wider aspect ratio than 16x9. It's called Anamorphic or scope and it can range anywhere between 2.00-2.75 wide.
2) Most DVDs have 16x9 aspect ratio so you shouldn't be getting any black bars. I haven't watched any newer DVDs for years since I upgraded to blu ray so I might be mistaken about the fact that DVDs do not come with scope aspect ratio. I want to say that's a blu ray thing but somebody will correct me if I am wrong.
3) Youtube videos usually either have 4x3 or 16x9 aspect ratio. I haven't seen many scope ones so it is normal to fill the HDTV screen or have black bars on the left and right. If you do notice a crop between a version on a computer and TV, change the TV's aspect ratio settings which I talked about above.

If you have an older 4x3 TV which I doubt:
1) You will have black bars with most DVD content and even bigger bars with blu ray content if shot in scope.
2) If it fills the screen with youtube videos then you are watching videos there are 4x3 aspect ratio.

I am also thinking that maybe you are comparing the youtube videos on an iPad which almost every time has black bars on top and bottom. Keep in mind that iPad has 4x3 aspect ratio, not 16x9.

Well, i am having the same problem in here, the fact is, I changed to any possible resolution on my HDTV, no matter in which resolution is the Tv, Apple TV is gone crop the video on the upper and lower part, it usually happens on every youtube app as default you can get on the app store for iPad, but not for the original from Google inc., I can see the video perfectly without being cropped on the Youtube app for ipad, but when i stream it to apple tv its cropped, no matter what, i changed also Apple TV resolution too, seems not to work, I am getting annoyed by this issue

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Well, i am having the same problem in here, the fact is, I changed to any possible resolution on my HDTV, no matter in which resolution is the Tv, Apple TV is gone crop the video on the upper and lower part, it usually happens on every youtube app as default you can get on the app store for iPad, but not for the original from Google inc., I can see the video perfectly without being cropped on the Youtube app for ipad, but when i stream it to apple tv its cropped, no matter what, i changed also Apple TV resolution too, seems not to work, I am getting annoyed by this issue

Are you using airplay mirroring from the iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.