Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Screen size is not a functionality of the OS. Quit equating the two.

No BUT, the screen size and the iOS are both in dire need of updating and from the thread are here, I am not alone in this.

I do expect the fan boys to keep sitting and waiting for what will not come.:cool:

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
No BUT, the screen size and the iOS are both in dire need of updating and from the thread are here, I am not alone in this.

I do expect the fan boys to keep sitting and waiting for what will not come.:cool:

I don't understand why people brag about their smartphone screen size. I've never understood it. Why take it so personal? Apple users don't give a rats' ass and Android users brag about it all day.

See, iPhone users USE their iPhone, Android users brag about widgets and screen sizes.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I don't understand why people brag about their smartphone screen size. I've never understood it. Why take it so personal? Apple users don't give a rats' ass and Android users brag about it all day.

See, iPhone users USE their iPhone, Android users brag about widgets and screen sizes.

That, sir, is where you are wrong. I am a Apple user as are many others here and they DO give a RAT'S ASS about the dinky screen AND senile OS.

It is YOU who are taking it personal. I find your display rather entertaining and funny but typical!

----------

Sorry but the small screen DOES effect the functionality.:p

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
That, sir, is where you are wrong. I am a Apple user as are many others here and they DO give a RAT'S ASS about the dinky screen AND senile OS.

It is YOU who are taking it personal. I find your display rather entertaining and funny but typical!

----------

Sorry but the small screen DOES effect the functionality.:p

I have to agree with you. I do give a rat's ass about dinky screens and senile OS. That's why I stay away from Android. The iPhone's IPS panel is the best panel in terms of color reproduction, viewing angles and pixel density. AMOLED panels produce fake colors and have yet to match the "retina" pixel density. 3.5" is the perfect size for most people in that one can easily access most of the screen area using one thumb without having to stretch their fingers. 4"+ panels are not only too large to comfortably use for most of us, it's also too bit to fit in our pockets. Android's typeface is absolutely horrible and pixelated compared to the smoothness and well-designed typeface of iOS.

Besides, iOS is incredibly secure compared to the "everyone and anyone can come in and do what the ---- they want and whenever they want" approach of Android. I don't know about you but I prefer not to have my personal info stolen or at a high risk of being stolen and I prefer to have a peace of mind when downloading an application. I know Android users like to tinker with their devices and not get any actual work done and to brag about benchmarks when other people are getting work done.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
I have to agree with you. I do give a rat's ass about dinky screens and senile OS. That's why I stay away from Android. The iPhone's IPS panel is the best panel in terms of color reproduction, viewing angles and pixel density. AMOLED panels produce fake colors and have yet to match the "retina" pixel density. 3.5" is the perfect size for most people in that one can easily access most of the screen area using one thumb without having to stretch their fingers. 4"+ panels are not only too large to comfortably use for most of us, it's also too bit to fit in our pockets. Android's typeface is absolutely horrible and pixelated compared to the smoothness and well-designed typeface of iOS.

Besides, iOS is incredibly secure compared to the "everyone and anyone can come in and do what the ---- they want and whenever they want" approach of Android. I don't know about you but I prefer not to have my personal info stolen or at a high risk of being stolen and I prefer to have a peace of mind when downloading an application. I know Android users like to tinker with their devices and not get any actual work done and to brag about benchmarks when other people are getting work done.

So you've done a survey and found most people prefer the 3.5 inch screen?
And this tiny 3.5 inch screen requires the most accurate colors because why?
You say Amoled panels produce fake colors. Hmmm...what's a fake color? Never heard of a fake color.
Was having a long day, so thanks for the laugh. :D

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Apple users don't give a rats' ass and Android users brag about it all day.

I am an Apple user. I give a rat's ass. It's small. I think you will find that many people on this site simply assume that if you are saying something bad about an Apple product, you are not an Apple user. The person you originally responded to also uses an iPhone (based on other threads). He seems to give a rats ass. Just because you don't care, doesn't mean nobody else does, bud.

----------

I disagree completely. Once the OS is written such that it can be used on different sized screens, I would call that a functionality of the OS. You are certainly free to disagree.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Samsung needs to go back to the basics. Like learn how to design a cell phone antenna. Especially CDMA antennas.

I mean at least apple learns from their mistake. iPhone 2007. "ok maybe all alumnum back wasn't a good idea". Let's make it plastic back for better antenna performance.

iPhone 4 antenna gate. iPhone 4 CDMA. Everything fixed.

Samsung for as big as they are cannot make good CDMA antennas. They have been in the business for so long they still can't get it right. Their gsm radio are average at best. Better than CDMA but not that great.

Galaxy S had broken gps design. People bitch about the iPhone flaws but Samsung has hugh physical design with many of their phones. Battery life has not been a strength either. Just go over the android forums and see the long list of complaints.

Notice I haven't even talked about software issues with Samsung. These are hardware issues with Samsung.

I hope the S3 is a complete redesign with quality parts. But remember Samsung operates on thinner profits than Apple.

Apple makes up to 50% more profit per iPhone sold than Samsung does on their high end phones.

I always tell people to forget msrp prices. In the USA probably 90% of smartphone are sold are on carrier subsidies. Without telling the exact numbers. Sprint CEO let the cat out of the bag when he stated the iPhone cost his company 40% more than any other phone. And sprint carries the WiMAX version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 when he made this remark.

Just do the math. 40% more. Sprint probably pays apple cost to $600 for each iPhone 4S. Sprint probably pays Samsung no more than $450 for the Samsung Galaxy S2 in bulk.

So for Samsung to bring higher quality parts to the S3. They would face tremendous pressure asking for higher prices from the cell phone carrier in bulk.

kdarling

macrumors P6
4"+ panels are not only too large to comfortably use for most of us, it's also too bit to fit in our pockets.

Lots of us have such phones and don't agree.

Two-thirds of Android phones sold last year were 4" or more. That's 160 million phones that apparently people didn't find too big to use.

Some even fit pockets better than the iPhone, because they're not as bulky.

Heck, I have a 4.6" screen, and it's neither unwieldly nor hard to pocket. My friends and family with iPhones often play with it and wish Apple had the same size.

I don't know about you but I prefer not to have my personal info stolen or at a high risk of being stolen and I prefer to have a peace of mind when downloading an application.

Watchdog groups like the App Genome Project have analyzed both Android and iOS apps and found that more iOS apps have access to personal info.

iOS apps often transfer personal and contact information to ad companies and worse. This has been well known for years, starting with ad code that sent as much info as it could. At least on Android, an app must have your permission to access contacts.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Watchdog groups like the App Genome Project have analyzed both Android and iOS apps and found that more iOS apps have access to personal info.

iOS apps often transfer personal and contact information to ad companies and worse. This has been well known for years, starting with ad code that sent as much info as it could. At least on Android, an app must have your permission to access contacts.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Apple either in the process of or has already changed apps getting access to contacts in such a way that NOTHING on the appstore is allowed to have access anymore?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Apple either in the process of or has already changed apps getting access to contacts in such a way that NOTHING on the appstore is allowed to have access anymore?

An iOS app will have to ask permission of the user. It's a bit like closing the barn door after the horse ran away. For four years, many iOS apps have been culling people's contact information, no doubt often selling the info to advertisers. Extra revenue for the developer.

Of course, once you've given permission on any OS, you're simply trusting that the app won't also send out all the info it has access to.

The preferred method in my mind is to use something like Android's intent system. If an app uses that, then it doesn't have to ask permission to access the entire contact database. Instead the app asks the OS to pop up a contact chooser. That way, the phone user is ALWAYS in charge of what data is available to the app. The app only has access to whatever you yourself give it each time. It cannot go on its own and take everything.

Once the OS is written such that it can be used on different sized screens, I would call that a functionality of the OS.

I was thinking the same thing as you. The display size and resolution are tied together with iOS, which is why the hardware had to make a jump to double density in both directions, and is stuck after that.

Last edited:

qwerty123123

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
cant wait for the SG3!

IMO android ics is on parr with ios now.. i see no reason to stay with a small screen phone.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
So you've done a survey and found most people prefer the 3.5 inch screen?
And this tiny 3.5 inch screen requires the most accurate colors because why?
You say Amoled panels produce fake colors. Hmmm...what's a fake color? Never heard of a fake color.
Was having a long day, so thanks for the laugh. :D

Nowhere did I claim most people prefer anything. I stated that most people can comfortably touch most of the screen area on a 3.5" screen much better than a 4"+ screen.

I also stated that the iPhone's screen is an IPS panel. Here's the Wiki in case you think all LCDs are the same or something ludicrous.

AMOLED panels produce a FALSE color. It is brighter than should be. It is more vivid that should be. By should be, I mean what the color was intended to be by the creator of the image or media source.

The rest of us who aren't completely ignorant and trolling are laughing at you.

----------

Lots of us have such phones and don't agree.

Two-thirds of Android phones sold last year were 4" or more. That's 160 million phones that apparently people didn't find too big to use.

Some even fit pockets better than the iPhone, because they're not as bulky.

Heck, I have a 4.6" screen, and it's neither unwieldly nor hard to pocket. My friends and family with iPhones often play with it and wish Apple had the same size.

Your family and friends are hardly an adequate sample pool to generate meaningful conclusions from. I could say the same thing about my family and friends but they are just a few people compared with the rest of the world. Completely meaningless. I could

Bulky? Are you kidding me? Do some basic math, the extra length and width of the 4.6" screen takes up more area AND volume than a few mm in thickness. That's only Android phones you are extrapolating conclusions from. There's also iPhone users, Windows Phone users, dumb phone users and people who don't even use phones and/or smartphones.

Explain to me why Android is malware-ridden and iOS is not. More access does not equate to more personal data stolen.

I'm not going to bother replying to any more of these comments. If Android is as good as you say, then how come half of Verizon's smartphones sold in Q1 are iPhones?

BlizzardBolt

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2011
Mariana Trench
Nowhere did I claim most people prefer anything. I stated that most people can comfortably touch most of the screen area on a 3.5" screen much better than a 4"+ screen.

I also stated that the iPhone's screen is an IPS panel. Here's the Wiki in case you think all LCDs are the same or something ludicrous.

AMOLED panels produce a FALSE color. It is brighter than should be. It is more vivid that should be. By should be, I mean what the color was intended to be by the creator of the image or media source.

----------

Your family and friends are hardly an adequate sample pool to generate meaningful conclusions from. I could say the same thing about my family and friends but they are just a few people compared with the rest of the world. Completely meaningless. I could

Bulky? Are you kidding me? Do some basic math, the extra length and width of the 4.6" screen takes up more area AND volume than a few mm in thickness. That's only Android phones you are extrapolating conclusions from. There's also iPhone users, Windows Phone users, dumb phone users and people who don't even use phones and/or smartphones.

Explain to me why Android is malware-ridden and iOS is not. More access does not equate to more personal data stolen.

I'm not going to bother replying to any more of these comments. If Android is as good as you say, then how come half of Verizon's smartphones sold in Q1 are iPhones?

Apple is a brand name that's why

Like the people that buy Beats heaphones, Nike Sneakers, BMW cars, they buy it for the brand name. iPhone is still a "cool" device but it lacks in functionality and aesthetics.

zigzagg321

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
the wire
Well the phone looks nice and its features are nice, but its not running iOS so I couldn't consider it at all. I like the "I don't have to mess with it and it does so much cool stuff and it just works"

Too much work to make those droids as cool, and when will they become as smooth as iOS?

That being said,

If you like Android OS, the Galaxy looks like a very nice option.

paul117

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
i had the samsung galaxy s gt-i9000 and it was my first and last experience with android it was horrible it would take 5 minutes for me to be able to navigate the menu's as it was lagging bad 10 minutes for it to be usable from pressing the power button to turn it on, i couldn't answer phone calls as the touch screen would become unresponsive it was like running windows vista on 256mb of ram after that experience i vowed never to touch another android.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Nowhere did I claim most people prefer anything.

Well you said 3.5 inches is perfect for most people. Again, please tell me if you conducted a survey to come to this conclusion. I would like the complete results of this survey.

Another statement where you're speaking for more than just yourself. Was there another survey done to conclude this as well. Or are you a representative of the blind followers?

You really seem upset. Buddy, Apple's just a packaging company. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't get so upset if people disagree with you.
Enjoy your 3.5 inches. ;)

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

When one OS (iOS) come only on one phone (essentially) and one screen size, the screen size may be technically not be a functionality of the OS but the two are clearly inseparable.

----------

i had the samsung galaxy s gt-i9000 and it was my first and last experience with android it was horrible it would take 5 minutes for me to be able to navigate the menu's as it was lagging bad 10 minutes for it to be usable from pressing the power button to turn it on, i couldn't answer phone calls as the touch screen would become unresponsive it was like running windows vista on 256mb of ram after that experience i vowed never to touch another android.

And now, compared to Samsung Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S feels this way (a bit slow and definitely outdated device).

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I am telling you how my SG2 worked and I suspect the SG3 will be even better. Not my fault you bought a CRAP HTC

And it IS CRAP that Apple still has missed the boat. The screen is so small and the OS so old most of the users minds are numb waiting for a REAL upgrade. You keep must be giddy to think that Siri was a upgrade. I think they are getting sued for false advertising!

Apples upgrade are about as good as most of the apps that are so old and outdated they need to be cleaned out of the system, but then that would cut the number of apps that Apple "claims" to have, most are CRAP!:eek:

You have a lot of free time to troll around... Get a life...

and yea... I saw the quality of Android apps in the year I was on it... The 3 year old *crap* apps are better than the latest ones on Android... And the some decent ones which I downloaded were apparently not compatible with my phone... lol... Hail Fragmentation...

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
You have a lot of free time to troll around... Get a life...

and yea... I saw the quality of Android apps in the year I was on it... The 3 year old *crap* apps are better than the latest ones on Android... And the some decent ones which I downloaded were apparently not compatible with my phone... lol... Hail Fragmentation...

You now hurt my feelings!:p

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple is a brand name that's why

Like the people that buy Beats heaphones, Nike Sneakers, BMW cars, they buy it for the brand name. iPhone is still a "cool" device but it lacks in functionality and aesthetics, in my opinion.
Fixed it for you.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
What are your thoughts on the Galaxy S III?

It will most likely have beefed up specifications, still run Android and still have a laggy interface. In short, business as usual at Samsung. And the spec-whores will lap it up like ice cream. Next.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
And the spec-whores will lap it up like ice cream. Next.

If it does have what's in the rumors leaked so far, there's nothing really stand out in specs either. Everyone has their 720P HD resolution already and Meizu has announced a phone using the same Samsung quadcore Exynos chip. Also HTC's Krait-based One X phone will likely outperform it in the lightly threaded appls, not to mention Tegra3 phones, etc, which all have respectable specs.

Perhaps they'll announced a A15 version but wonder when that'll get released?

It does show the perils of being in a commodity market. I know it'll do well but it looks like all others will have competitive products against Samsung, using the same OS. Even Huawei has announced a phone with great specs and everyone will be pressured to compete against each other by having skins hated by all tech journals.

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
I wonder if the SGS3 will be as well built and as good spec as the HTC One X, i mean thats their target, i can't see samsung worrying to much about the iPhone 4S anymore,it's beginning to look very very dated, and yes in desperate need of changing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.