Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qwerty11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
So is the time capsule my best choice? I do not need any other capabilities other than to connect to my wifi, show up as an option in time capsule, and backup the apples on my network. Time capsule seems like more money and functionality than I need.

Qwerty11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I have an airport express. Where the HD will go though will only have convenient access to power only.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
That's a problem. Wired NAS devices are cheap and efficient and you can access them via wireless.

Wireless ones are more $$$ and lower performance. You will essentially only be able to get half your wireless network throughput if both the NAS and Mac are wireless. i.e. slow backups.

B

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
not to hijack, but can the the TC be used like a lot of the NAS's out there like the Live Duo?

The Time Machine is missing a lot of the features you get with a NAS. For example, the Live Duo has "iTunes server" functionality which sounds kinda cool. The Time Machine can't really do that.

sinoue

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
Silicon Valley
TC is fine for WiFi backups

If all you want is Time Machine backups over WiFi and you don't have that much data on a single Mac you will do fine with Apple's Time Capsule.

That said, if you look at your data storage needs and decide you want more then listen to the others about looking at a NAS. Especially true since you have multiple Macs and will strip thru Apple's 2-3TB of space down the road.

The biggest issues with Time Capsule is: No data encryption, no protection for your backup if TC drive fails and no ability to easily upgrade your TC (you can connect an external drive, but you can't bridge the data across volumes).

If wrote a rant about Time Capsule on my blog, but all in all for first time backup users it is a great way to get started. The real issue is that most folks quickly outgrow it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.