Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Well, for me a handheld device suffers if it's too thin to hold comfortably, safely. Like the iPod touch for example. Thats just way too thin for my liking. not to mention Apple keeps using very slippery materials with very little grip.

Every time someone asks for a thinner iPhone I direct them to use an iPod touch. I swear that thing was designed to slip from your hands.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How is it that the iPad got thicker (I know it's barely noticeable) yet the iPhone is going to be thinner? Especially when there's a 99% likelihood the new iPhone will be an LTE phone?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I am afraid that the iPhone 5 will probably won't be available in May.

They are trying to get it out for Christmas. If all of these supply notices are true, then they signed off on the final production design and are building them for warehousing over the summer. Will be a fun one again!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i really dont get the trend of making everything thin thin thin. i rather have amazing features or improved battery life. isnt it thin enough as it is? the samsung galaxy s2 is already too thin for me, feels weird to hold but thats just me

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
How is it that the iPad got thicker (I know it's barely noticeable) yet the iPhone is going to be thinner? Especially when there's a 99% likelihood the new iPhone will be an LTE phone?

Probably a combination of a lower powered LTE chip for the next iPhone as well as a less radical resolution increase (if any) both of which wouldn’t require a huge battery, which I understand is the reason for most (all?) of the iPad 3rd size increase.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Every time someone asks for a thinner iPhone I direct them to use an iPod touch. I swear that thing was designed to slip from your hands.

I just tried holding my first gen iPod touch as a phone and it felt fine except for an overly sharp edge. The thickness was not a problem. Much more comfortable than my iPhone 4 without a bumper.

The iPod touch could perhaps do with a slightly textured finish for more grip, but that applies to most Apple products, especially their USB connectors.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I just tried holding my first gen iPod touch as a phone and it felt fine except for an overly sharp edge. The thickness was not a problem. Much more comfortable than my iPhone 4 without a bumper.

The iPod touch could perhaps do with a slightly textured finish for more grip, but that applies to most Apple products, especially their USB connectors.

If it weren't for the case on my iPod Touch, it would be unusable. It's too thin and too slippery. I also dislike the sharp edge of the iPod Touch and the iPad. Jonathan Ive is way more interested in how they look as opposed to how user friendly they are. It will be interesting to see if usability continues to take a back seat to design.

enfanteribl

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
No where has it been stated what sort of difference this tech would make. 1mm? The new HTC and Panasonics are all about 7.5 mm, so very slim. With this slimmer screen, could the iPhone be less than 7mm?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
If it weren't for the case on my iPod Touch, it would be unusable. It's too thin and too slippery. I also dislike the sharp edge of the iPod Touch and the iPad. Jonathan Ive is way more interested in how they look as opposed to how user friendly they are. It will be interesting to see if usability continues to take a back seat to design.

I agree on the sharp edge and the slipperiness, but they may accentuate the problems with thinness. Take away those and the thinness might not be such a problem.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Not referring to just this article but I swear these days rumors on Apple products are pulled out of people's butt in order to gain a few cheap clicks to their site.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
I'm guessing the main benefit of this will be a further improved color gamut, contrast, and brightness since there's now one less layer for everything to pass through -- or at least that the layer is ultimately thinner.

Thickness reduction would be in fractions of a millimeter, and have no tangible effect on weight or creating volume for a larger battery.

badlandz

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Thinner = More Cracked Screens?

Thinner in general seems good, but isn't this moving the opposite direction as other phones move to Gorilla Glass?

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
I'm guessing the main benefit of this will be a further improved color gamut, contrast, and brightness since there's now one less layer for everything to pass through -- or at least that the layer is ultimately thinner.

Thickness reduction would be in fractions of a millimeter, and have no tangible effect on weight or creating volume for a larger battery.

Agreed. I don't think we'll see a 1 mm decrease in thickness or any appreciable increase in battery size based on this innovation, but to have less material between the display and the surface of the phone can only improve the appearance of the display.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

Yes which is why I always have mine with the film on the back. It's so thin that it slips so easily into my pocket but still grip-y enough on my hand. iPod Touch is my favorite form factor among all portables in terms of portability vs. functionality and I really hope for a phone in that size. Unfortunately it's probably too small to be a good phone due to lack of space for battery.

Thinner = More Cracked Screens?

Thinner in general seems good, but isn't this moving the opposite direction as other phones move to Gorilla Glass?

iPhone already uses Gorilla...I mean Corning-made chemically strengthened aluminosilicate glass. :D
I think it cracks easily not because of its thinness but it's design. Other phones including iPhone 3GS have some frames running around the glass, adding that extra protection whereas iPhone 4/4S design exposes the glass edge directly. iPod Touch is much thinner but it's no more crackable than thicker smartphones.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Yes, plus one more benefit that no one seems to have mentioned yet:

No need for that glue agent to dry, from yellow-straw colored to clear, between glass panels .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.