Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiantech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
I was just browsing on my (new) iPad verizon LTE and a update for carrier settings just popped up. I clicked update, the notification closed and that was it.

In General-About my carrier is now Verizon 12.1

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
It wasn't just iPads they pushed out updates for. People with factory unlocked iPhones that were using them with the carriers that officially start carrying the device this week (GCI, ACS, MTA, etc) got an update last weekend that locked them to those providers. It also updated the carrier version to [carrier] 12.1 on those phones.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
It wasn't just iPads they pushed out updates for. People with factory unlocked iPhones that were using them with the carriers that officially start carrying the device this week (GCI, ACS, MTA, etc) got an update last weekend that locked them to those providers. It also updated the carrier version to [carrier] 12.1 on those phones.

You're sure it locked them? That would be a pretty nasty mistake...

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
You're sure it locked them? That would be a pretty nasty mistake...

I know it locked them for the Alaska carriers (GCI, ACS, MTA). The carrier version went from "12.0" to "GCI 12.1", "MTA 12.1", etc. And for phones on the GCI network (at least), there are issues with Caller ID not seeing/matching up with the contact info on the phone correctly.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I know it locked them for the Alaska carriers (GCI, ACS, MTA). The carrier version went from "12.0" to "GCI 12.1", "MTA 12.1", etc. And for phones on the GCI network (at least), there are issues with Caller ID not seeing/matching up with the contact info on the phone correctly.

That's really bad! They absolutely shouldn't be locked. How do you know they're locked? Just because there's a carrier settings file doesn't mean the phone is locked, have you tried another SIM card since getting the carrier settings? Carrier settings isn't a lock...

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
That's really bad! They absolutely shouldn't be locked. How do you know they're locked? Just because there's a carrier settings file doesn't mean the phone is locked, have you tried another SIM card since getting the carrier settings? Carrier settings isn't a lock...

Apple admitted they locked the phones to the carrier, that's how I know...

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Apple admitted they locked the phones to the carrier, that's how I know...

Apple admitted? Where? A first line tech who doesn't know? Did you actually *try* another SIM in one of these phones that got "locked"? I can't imagine they actually got locked.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Apple admitted? Where? A first line tech who doesn't know? Did you actually *try* another SIM in one of these phones that got "locked"? I can't imagine they actually got locked.

ATT Sims no longer work in those phones, and the section to manually set the APN settings was removed, just as it is on ATT-locked handsets. Prior to the update, you could swap out SIM cards, you just had to manually change the APN settings to match the network you were using at that time.

Apparently Apple is about to release another carrier update that will resolve the contact list problems, no word on whether it reverses the lock or not.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
ATT Sims no longer work in those phones, and the section to manually set the APN settings was removed, just as it is on ATT-locked handsets. Prior to the update, you could swap out SIM cards, you just had to manually change the APN settings to match the network you were using at that time.

Apparently Apple is about to release another carrier update that will resolve the contact list problems, no word on whether it reverses the lock or not.

Wow that's bad news if you bought an unlocked phone and paid unlocked price and a carrier settings file got it locked. I'd be pissed at Apple...

Chloeourdog

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2012
Wow that's bad news if you bought an unlocked phone and paid unlocked price and a carrier settings file got it locked. I'd be pissed at Apple...

The Verizon carrier update permanently deactivated my AT&T sim card that I was using in my Verizon iPad. I now get searching followed by no service. When I put it back in my AT&T iPhone 4 it would not work - got the searching followed by no service. The carrier update killed my SIM card.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
The Verizon carrier update permanently deactivated my AT&T sim card that I was using in my Verizon iPad. I now get searching followed by no service. When I put it back in my AT&T iPhone 4 it would not work - got the searching followed by no service. The carrier update killed my SIM card.

Why would you have even got a Verizon update with an AT&T SIM card in your iPad? That makes no sense. Apple has some major issues here in their carrier settings files. They shouldn't be locking phones and they shouldn't be touching a different carrier's SIM cards.

Sounds like everyone affected definitely has some right to a complaint or two with Apple...

The good news though is that, unlike Verizon, AT&T SIM card replacements are easy to get. Walk into an AT&T store and they'll happily hand you a new SIM :)

Chloeourdog

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2012
I was using my Verizon LTE iPad with the 3G SIM card with AT&T data service from my iPhone 4S. As long as the iPad can route to the correct APN, AT&T should have no issues with this because the iPad is unsubsidized by the carriers. As I learned, do NOT apply a carrier update with another carrier's SIM in your device or you can/will overwrite items on the SIM, and possibly (as in my case) render it useless.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I was using my Verizon LTE iPad with the 3G SIM card with AT&T data service from my iPhone 4S. As long as the iPad can route to the correct APN, AT&T should have no issues with this because the iPad is unsubsidized by the carriers. As I learned, do NOT apply a carrier update with another carrier's SIM in your device or you can/will overwrite items on the SIM, and possibly (as in my case) render it useless.

With an AT&T sim in your iPad, how would you even have the opportunity to update the carrier setting. The request to update the carrier setting would presumably come from Verizon. Since you have an AT&T sim in, how would you even receive the request?

Chloeourdog

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2012
The carrier update comes from iTunes, not Verizon. I have a wifi connection to my MacBook running iTunes. When the MacBook iTunes request came for the download of the carrier update, I accepted it. Then iTunes Wirelessly delivered the update to my iPad (over wifi).

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
It's because GCI started officially carrying the iPhone as of yesterday.

So what? That should get you an official GCI carrier settings file with your APN already in it and maybe some other customizations like AT&T has the 4G icon. It absolutely should not get you a lock! Locking shouldn't even be related to the carrier settings file. Apple screwed something up big time if anyone's officially unlocked phone got locked...

Likewise, a regardless of who sold you your iPad the Verizon iPad with an AT&T SIM should NOT be receiving a Verizon carrier settings file. Though I'm really surprised it harmed your SIM, it would definitely give you the wrong APN and also add CDMA CSIM data. Not good. It should give you carrier settings for the SIM that's in it, not for who it was sold for, especially since its sold officially unlocked.

Apples screwed this one up big time

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
So what? That should get you an official GCI carrier settings file with your APN already in it and maybe some other customizations like AT&T has the 4G icon. It absolutely should not get you a lock! Locking shouldn't even be related to the carrier settings file. Apple screwed something up big time if anyone's officially unlocked phone got locked...

Likewise, a regardless of who sold you your iPad the Verizon iPad with an AT&T SIM should NOT be receiving a Verizon carrier settings file. Though I'm really surprised it harmed your SIM, it would definitely give you the wrong APN and also add CDMA CSIM data. Not good. It should give you carrier settings for the SIM that's in it, not for who it was sold for, especially since its sold officially unlocked.

Apples screwed this one up big time

I never said that it was right OR wrong. My guess is that the carrier update was meant for the phones the carriers are actually selling, but that customers with unlocked models on those networks got hit with it as well.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I never said that it was right OR wrong. My guess is that the carrier update was meant for the phones the carriers are actually selling, but that customers with unlocked models on those networks got hit with it as well.

I know but I'm saying thats wrong and false marketing and Apple needs to make this one right for people it happened to. How many people do you know actually had their phone verifiably locked (will not connect to network with another carrier SIM)? I'm curious if it was a fluke or if happened to everyone who got this update...

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I know but I'm saying thats wrong and false marketing and Apple needs to make this one right for people it happened to. How many people do you know actually had their phone verifiably locked (will not connect to network with another carrier SIM)? I'm curious if it was a fluke or if happened to everyone who got this update...

According to Apple, everyone who got the update was locked. I still do not know if the revised update (to fix the contacts issue) does the same thing or not.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
According to Apple, everyone who got the update was locked. I still do not know if the revised update (to fix the contacts issue) does the same thing or not.

Apple first tier support means nothing. Like ANY company, Apple can come out with a ton of BS. Try an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM in all these phones. If it works, then great, if not, then Cupertino - we have a problem.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Apple first tier support means nothing. Like ANY company, Apple can come out with a ton of BS. Try an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM in all these phones. If it works, then great, if not, then Cupertino - we have a problem.

I already addressed this earlier in this thread...

There are no T-Mobile sims to try, as there is no T-Mobile in Alaska...

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I already addressed this earlier in this thread...

There are no T-Mobile sims to try, as there is no T-Mobile in Alaska...

I know but I wasn't sure if more than one person had tried an AT&T SIM, in case it was a very unfortunate fluke. And... so? That doesn't mean there's no T-Mobile SIM cards, there's no T-Mobile in Montana, but I know so many people who use T-Mobile (I set them up, they're mostly teenagers. I tell parents it's a great way to get a kid a phone for texting only at a low price. They can't get a Montana number - but you can't beat $15/month unlimited text.)

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Sometimes carrier updates are one of the most scariest thing that you should avoid to click. For example if your iPhone is Japan Locked, then you select carrier update, there is 3 possibly things can happen:
1. Nothing happens
2. No service, means that you should buy a new X or Gpp sim in order to call and use cellular again that is compatible with iOS version.
3. Your iPhone will no longer work or Locked forever

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.