Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
While I don't own an i-Device, I'm actually looking forward to Mountain Lion. To me it isn't just the big advertised features, but the small-little tweaks. Look at the "All the Little Things Thread". The biggest advertised feature that I am eager to use is Game Center, Steam is more for the hardcore gamer and the games are very expensive. Game Center as I see it, is geared more towards the casual user. I can't wait to be able to play games with friends on iOS devices because I haven't been able to in the past.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
As a developer I understand it very well, clearly you don't. I'm done trying to educate you folks. I have been dealing with Windows 8 long before you got your hands on it and know exactly where it is at. As I said, my information comes from MSDN not some other web site and certainly not from you guys.

Enjoy...

So it's not you making your own conclusions based on Microsoft not using the actual word "beta" and your personal definition of what constitutes a beta, but an actual statement from Microsoft saying that the CP is not a beta? Could you quote this statement?

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I think Wposter may conveniently "forget" about this thread discussion....But I hope he doesn't....

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
- the possibility for apps to start in what amounts to a VM, completely separated from the rest of the system (Sandboxing++)

This would be massive for both security and stability, you could then literally reboot apps (or processes) that start playing up.

I think it would further highlight though what is a big missing link in current Sandboxing. The ability for one App to offer up services to another. So I'd add:-

-improve Sandboxing so that re-opens the door to plug-ins and Apps that offer services to other apps. Only allowing data to cross between boxes so it's secure.

If they do that they should also make a system that lets Big Developers leverage the appStore systems to offer a Plug-in market with in the app.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
This would be massive for both security and stability, you could then literally reboot apps (or processes) that start playing up.

I think it would further highlight though what is a big missing link in current Sandboxing. The ability for one App to offer up services to another. So I'd add:-

-improve Sandboxing so that re-opens the door to plug-ins and Apps that offer services to other apps. Only allowing data to cross between boxes so it's secure.

If they do that they should also make a system that lets Big Developers leverage the appStore systems to offer a Plug-in market with in the app.

So a sort of system-wide plugin architecture that any app could take advantage of? Done right, that could be huge. I like that idea a lot, and it would make it very easy for services like Dropbox to gain direct integration into tons of applications, without having to code anything specific for each one.

jW

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
As a developer I understand it very well, clearly you don't. I'm done trying to educate you folks. I have been dealing with Windows 8 long before you got your hands on it and know exactly where it is at. As I said, my information comes from MSDN not some other web site and certainly not from you guys.

Enjoy...

As you are a developer can you please explain the following article I found on IGN about the up and coming Release Preview MS are releasing for win8???

new win 8 release preview to be released soon

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Aside from all the cloud and istuff, the underlying guts of the OS seem far less stable and less compatible with some apps to me than Lion, so I'm not sure what Apple is trying to do here. Isn't it supposed to be better somehow at the OS level?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Does anyone know if the preview builds use a newer OpenGL implementation? That would be a feature I'd love to see.

I thought ZFS was no longer and option after the whole Sun being bought out by Oracle thing...(I'd love it if it did become available).

Yeah, beta's of Leopard and Snow Leopard has ZFS code (back when Apple delivered beta's every two weeks and needed to be burned and installed, with ~20 for each OS X development, not 4 "DP's", OS X seems rushed now). So many of us were excited. Oh well.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Aside from all the cloud and istuff, the underlying guts of the OS seem far less stable and less compatible with some apps to me than Lion, so I'm not sure what Apple is trying to do here. Isn't it supposed to be better somehow at the OS level?

You are aware that it is still a developer preview and not production ready yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.