Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braindeadfool

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
This is the RAM that Tutor is using and that I purchased.

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=217438084

Is this the proper RAM to use or is what you're describing revealing issues with the current RAM that I have? Let me know thank you...

Also, could you please give me the specific RAM model kit that you're using. Thanks... :)

Lastly, I just PM'd you... Later...

You have a PM as well. I don't think your issue is RAM, that Corsair memory is just fine. I'm not sure what your issue relates to; however I will tell you that I had a much more stable machine once I disabled the onboard SATA-3 controller. Works fine as long as I only had 1 or 2 drives in their, but once I had drives on both SATA controllers nothing but random lockups. I have all my SATA 3 drives on my ATTO card and it's much more stable now.

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Hi Tutor,

I'm a bit confused then. If there's no SATA 3 support, then would disabling it help or would enabling not change anything?

Last edited:

justDougStl

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
Researching Dual-Boot System Build For Pro Tools HD

Hello All,

Just found this thread, and am reading it through from the start. I'm doing some research into my options for a Pro Audio workstation, and am leaning heavily towards building a rack-mounted system for portability.

Has anyone had any experience with Avid/Digidesign expansion hardware on a dual processor build?

Regards,
Doug

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Hello All,

Just found this thread, and am reading it through from the start. I'm doing some research into my options for a Pro Audio workstation, and am leaning heavily towards building a rack-mounted system for portability.

Has anyone had any experience with Avid/Digidesign expansion hardware on a dual processor build?

Regards,
Doug

I just replied to you... :)

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
No I was doing not allowed things so I could find this later today..

I'm going to start playing with my hackintosh next week when the 2700K gets here and this is on my list of complete reads, even though the info is for older Xeons,

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
No I was doing not allowed things so I could find this later today..

I'm going to start playing with my hackintosh next week when the 2700K gets here and this is on my list of complete reads, even though the info is for older Xeons,

I'm sure that the same process of teaching still applies. But when you have time throughout the now and when your 2700K comes in, it would be good to look through how this posting may/will benefit you... :)

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I'm sure that the same process of teaching still applies. But when you have time throughout the now and when your 2700K comes in, it would be good to look through how this posting may/will benefit you... :)

I understand it's dealing with older generation processors, it more for the background information as to why things are and how they influence and effect..

Overclock.net is where I'm reading about the how..

Just creating a base of knowledge..

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
I understand it's dealing with older generation processors, it more for the background information as to why things are and how they influence and effect..

Overclock.net is where I'm reading about the how..

Just creating a base of knowledge..

Please provide the link that you just mentioned about on Overclock.net as I'd be interested in seeing it. Thanks... :)

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
LOL, I know about Overclock.net, but I was wanting to read the specific link that you're reading on that site; unless you're just on the main site not reading any specific article... :cool:

The sandy bridge stable thread, the one where the first 15 pages are an argument about maximum voltage..

This hackintosh I built, is the first computer I've built in a long time. The last computer I built was a 286 sx12..

I spent the last couple of months getting up to date on what is going on..things have changed a bit..

I'm going to get this 2770 in as a replacement for the celeron thats in there now, then I think I'm going to put an H60 on get it to 4.2-4.5 and call it good.

I don't out of the ordinary performance, nor am I willing to pay for it, nice QUIET and stable.

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
The sandy bridge stable thread, the one where the first 15 pages are an argument about maximum voltage..

This hackintosh I built, is the first computer I've built in a long time. The last computer I built was a 286 sx12..

I spent the last couple of months getting up to date on what is going on..things have changed a bit..

I'm going to get this 2770 in as a replacement for the celeron thats in there now, then I think I'm going to put an H60 on get it to 4.2-4.5 and call it good.

I don't out of the ordinary performance, nor am I willing to pay for it, nice QUIET and stable.

Good for you. The only thing that I would change on that system is going with the Corsair H80 instead. It the best single rad all in one performer out there for cooling and is only about $25 to $30 more. To me it's worth the extra $$$. Just my thoughts... Again, I hope you have a successful build. Later... :cool:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Good for you. The only thing that I would change on that system is going with the Corsair H80 instead. It the best single rad all in one performer out there for cooling and is only about $25 to $30 more. To me it's worth the extra $$$. Just my thoughts... Again, I hope you have a successful build. Later... :cool:

I use a Corsair Carbide 300r, people have been talking about issues getting the radiator in the case it can't go into top because it hits the MoBo and is too big for the back…but then again they said 2 140mm fans wouldn't sit in the front but I have 2 there now.

but bang for the buck it seems the H80 is the one to shoot for.

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
I can't access the Private Messages area- says I need to activate my account, but I have already done that so there is something wrong...

If you have a second, please copy/paste your reply into an email. dhelmsing@gmail.com

Thanks!
Doug

I would then contact the administrators here at MacRumors to have them help you on that one. I've used similar forum setups that I too faced the same issue and when I contacted admin staff, it quickly got taken of. Now all you have to do is find the admin staff somewhere here on the site. Shouldn't be too hard. I hope this helps. I'll PM you when you get a reply... :)

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Here is my latest cinebench. How much more do the experts think I'm going to get?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-07 at 6.47.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-07 at 6.47.56 PM.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Screen Shot 2012-05-07 at 7.07.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-07 at 7.07.01 PM.png
    222.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Here is my latest cinebench. How much more do the experts think I'm going to get?

Is this just running the X5690's on stock, because this is a pretty high score (at least on the OpenGL side of things)... :) Also, did you use GeekBench (GB)? Try to use the latest GB (ver. 2.3.1)

BTW, what install app did you use to install Mac OS X? myHack, Chameleon, etc?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Is this just running the X5690's on stock, because this is a pretty high score (at least on the OpenGL side of things)... :) Also, did you use GeekBench (GB)? Try to use the latest GB (ver. 2.3.1)

BTW, what install app did you use to install Mac OS X? myHack, Chameleon, etc?

No it's on a 2700K at 4.7Ghz

It's Chameleon

Geekbench was at 17086 I believe

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Original poster

With that system of your's, not too much more without copious amounts of LN or an extremely cold winter. However, congratulations for the scores you've achieved thus far. They're excellent for that platform.

Here's three scores from http://www.cbscores.com/index.php?sort=cpu which hasn't been updated in quite a while;

1) i7 2600K 4 8 4.60 FirePro V7800 Win 7 64-bit 9.04 99.27,
2) i7 2600K 4 8 3.40 GeForce 470 GTX Win 7 64-bit 9.35 71.21, and
3) i7 2600K 4 8 4.80 GeForce 250 GTS Win 7 64-bit 9.25 43.94.

Note which configuration has the highest CPU score and how it is configured differently than the other two and how it is similar to your's. Thus, to eck out that last bit of performance you might want to try lowering the base frequency even more and adding more on the turbo side, staggering the cores at turbo by from 100 to 200 MHz and allocating the greater turbo core speeds to the outer cores, i.e., cores 1 and 4 or whichever two generally run the coolest, and the lower turbo core speeds to the inner ones, i.e., cores 1 and 4 or whichever two generally run the hottest.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
With that system of your's, not too much more without copious amounts of LN or an extremely cold winter. However, congratulations for the scores you've achieved thus far. They're excellent for that platform.

Here's three scores from http://www.cbscores.com/index.php?sort=cpu which hasn't been updated in quite a while;

1) i7 2600K 4 8 4.60 FirePro V7800 Win 7 64-bit 9.04 99.27,
2) i7 2600K 4 8 3.40 GeForce 470 GTX Win 7 64-bit 9.35 71.21, and
3) i7 2600K 4 8 4.80 GeForce 250 GTS Win 7 64-bit 9.25 43.94.

Note which configuration has the highest CPU score and how it is configured differently than the other two and how it is similar to your's. Thus, to eck out that last bit of performance you might want to try lowering the base frequency even more and adding more on the turbo side, staggering the cores at turbo by from 100 to 200 MHz and allocating the greater turbo core speeds to the outer cores, i.e., cores 1 and 4 or whichever two generally run the coolest, and the lower turbo core speeds to the inner ones, i.e., cores 1 and 4 or whichever two generally run the hottest.

From what I've read you don't adjust the base clock on sandy bridge it messes up PCI frequency.

I was at about 1.4v to get there after the stress test is over I'll push it a bit more..I'd like to get to a nice stable 5Ghz but I have a feeling that I'm going to want water for that.

5Ghz should get me about 17,500 geekbench It's the cinebench I wonder about..

SR2Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
From what I've read you don't adjust the base clock on sandy bridge it messes up PCI frequency.

I was at about 1.4v to get there after the stress test is over I'll push it a bit more..I'd like to get to a nice stable 5Ghz but I have a feeling that I'm going to want water for that.

5Ghz should get me about 17,500 geekbench It's the cinebench I wonder about..

From what I've been reading from other forum websites from other programers that use a variety of CPUs and Mac OS X, weather using the Mac Pro or a Hackintosh setup (and I could be incorrect), utilizing Cinebench as your rendering "standard" for scoring isn't as reliable anymore as Maxon hasn't made any updates to ver. 11.5 since November 23, 2009. Whereas GeekBench has been dedicated to their own updates as a result of OS software changes from Mac OS X (SL to Lion) and Windows (XP and 7). It still may be used for overall testing, but I tend to default on GB as my rendering standard over Cinebench. This is just what I've been reading and asking others out there have also have SR-2 setups. If I'm incorrect on this Tutor (and you may know better), what's your thoughts on this if you have any?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.