Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thertrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Has anyone had trouble installing DP3? 1 and 2 installed fine on my 2011 13" MBP but Installer crashes each time I try to install 3. I've restored back to Lion.

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
I have the problem too. When installing, the installer either stalls at around eight minutes left, or the installer looks like it completes with the progress bar at 100%, but it never actually finishes. In that instance the time remaining just keeps going into the negatives. It said "About -15 minutes remaining" before I just killed the install.

Chucko

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2007
That's funny, mine gives me numbers like "312,548,123 hours and 15 minutes remaining".

thertrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
My computer seem permanently screwed now. Once back at Lion, I can no longer install DP1 or DP2. Installer crashes every time at the exact same point.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
How to correctly install:

Fresh copy of DP3, restored to a flash drive or burned to dvd. Boot from it, open disk utility and partition the harddrive to one, make sure its Mac OS Extended (Journaled), close disk utility, press reinstall mac os x, install onto the partition, if the installer fails, dont press anything just hold the power button down and let it restart and it should boot.

McKs

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
How to correctly install:

Fresh copy of DP3, restored to a flash drive or burned to dvd. Boot from it, open disk utility and partition the harddrive to one, make sure its Mac OS Extended (Journaled), close disk utility, press reinstall mac os x, install onto the partition, if the installer fails, dont press anything just hold the power button down and let it restart and it should boot.

Mine failed too several times trying to update dp2. I wiped the drive and clean installed dp3. Then I succesfully used to migration assistent that pops up to import my users, apps etc from my working 10.6.8 drive.

thertrain

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Happy to report I was able to get everything installed late last night. Here is how I did it.

1. Install a fresh copy of Lion, so the computer is back and functioning correctly.
2. Update the EFI Firmware that was released in the past month or so.
3. Reset PRAM & NVRAM
4. Installed DP1
5. Installed DP3

The whole process took a couple hours but everything is up and running.

Hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.