Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Why do people go on about how droolworthy their phone looks and then immediately slap on a big 'ol case on it. Honestly. Why do people even care how a phone looks anymore? Majority of people have bumpers, barely there cases, or full armor cases on their phones. Even a bumper completely takes away from the design of a phone. If you think it doesn't, then how would you like the iphone to have that bumper as a permanent fixture? Why design a phone that will shatter with one accidental drop? Why design a phone that just screams for a case. Bottom Line: ITS A MOBILE DEVICE!!! Don't design a phone thinking it will never be dropped. You have drop tests for a reason. Can you imagine if cars were designed in a way where the designers were so full of themselves, that they felt the buyer who got into a fender bender was some idiot who didn't take proper care when using their car? Apple get off your high horse, and produce an iPhone that will pass a drop test. The competition has already passed you in performance, and now they have caught up in design and ability to pass drop tests without shattering their screens.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Hence the words "majority of people." just sayin.

Well, those that throw a huge case on the phone obviously didn't buy the phone for the droolworthy design. Seems pretty simple to me man.

If I am not mistaken, the argument here is "most people throw a case on their phone therefor the design of the phone doesn't matter", yes? I think that's a flawed statement, personally. Those that don't use a case likely do care. The majority of people don;t care about the stocks app either. Those that do I am sure are happy it's there. :)

By the way, I would disagree that a phone needs a case on it. I think a lot of people are either clumsy, paranoid, or both. I fall into the paranoid category. I have never dropped my iPhone, and I use a case on it at all times.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I use a black iPhone bumper on mine, but no case. The bumper at least reduces chance of the camera lens getting scratched. But I agree, slapping a big ugly case on iPhone or any other detracts from the workmanship. The phone are marketed for beauty, show the phone being utilized without a case and it never featured with one on. Yet, when you purchase one they push hard for cases during the sale. Yes, I realize reps get commission and that is their motive for that and screen protecters, etc. But still, customers buy into it and the case gets slapped on. What a crime.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
you don't have to. i've been just fine with EVERY iPhone (and a couple windows phones as well) and never broken one (I've had some manufacturing defects, but that's it). You don't need a case

If you're the kind of person who drops your phone a lot and doesn't take good care of it, then you don't get to enjoy nice design. It's unfortunate but there's not really any other solution other than buying one of those tank phones, which never have nice designs.

The glass back may be more prone to cracks than most, but its also less prone to scratches. The iPhone is actually more durable than most. Phones aren't meant to be dropped.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
Why do people go on about how droolworthy their phone looks and then immediately slap on a big 'ol case on it. Honestly. Why do people even care how a phone looks anymore? Majority of people have bumpers, barely there cases, or full armor cases on their phones. Even a bumper completely takes away from the design of a phone. If you think it doesn't, then how would you like the iphone to have that bumper as a permanent fixture? Why design a phone that will shatter with one accidental drop? Why design a phone that just screams for a case. Bottom Line: ITS A MOBILE DEVICE!!! Don't design a phone thinking it will never be dropped. You have drop tests for a reason. Can you imagine if cars were designed in a way where the designers were so full of themselves, that they felt the buyer who got into a fender bender was some idiot who didn't take proper care when using their car? Apple get off your high horse, and produce an iPhone that will pass a drop test. The competition has already passed you in performance, and now they have caught up in design and ability to pass drop tests without shattering their screens.

/topic closed

DanBurns91

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
West Midlands, England
Personally i don't care if people use a case or not, I for one, buy the iPhone for design and functionality and don't see the point of casing it to retain a scratch less phone for whoever you sell it onto in the future. However, I'm sure people that use cases have a valid argument also.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
Why?

People care about the close they wear, the cars they drive, and the look of many other things. Why is it so strange to care how a phone looks.

Well he answered his own question with the second question. Drop protection or not, you mentioned earlier....

Well, those that throw a huge case on the phone obviously didn't buy the phone for the droolworthy design. Seems pretty simple to me man.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
The people that say I don't use a case because I'm careful are the same TYPE of people that used to say, "I don't wear a seatbelt because I'm careful, I've never been in an accident." or "I don't wear a helmet, because I'm careful, I've never been in an accident." To them I say, who gives a shlt.
People wear seat belts and helmets, not because their bad drivers or riders, but because they know accidents happen. It's not being paranoid, it's being safe and protecting yourself. Accidents happen, and no matter how careful you are with your phone, it can get dropped in some way. Thinking otherwise is just plain ignorant. Now that being said, if you don't use a case, and at the same time know and admit that you can still have an accident (your fault or not) where a case would help, but just don't give a shlt, then kudos to you, cuz you sir/madam are a rebel.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The people that say I don't use a case because I'm careful are the same TYPE of people that used to say, "I don't wear a seatbelt because I'm careful, I've never been in an accident." or "I don't wear a helmet, because I'm careful, I've never been in an accident." To them I say, who gives a shlt.
People wear seat belts and helmets, not because their bad drivers or riders, but because they know accidents happen. It's not being paranoid, it's being safe and protecting yourself. Accidents happen, and no matter how careful you are with your phone, it can get dropped in some way. Thinking otherwise is just plain ignorant. Now that being said, if you don't use a case, and at the same time know and admit that you can still have an accident (your fault or not) where a case would help, but just don't give a shlt, then kudos to you, cuz you sir/madam are a rebel.

There is a pretty big difference here. I don't think I am in too much danger of losing my life if I shatter my phone. Worst case scenario I get it replaced for $200.

This is just a guess, but I think more people break their phone because of their own clumsiness than because someone else ran into them and caused the phone to go flying.

Hayduke60

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2009
I've had my iPhone 4 for less than a year and have had 3 cases wrapped around it. Two lived tragic lives. They were burnt, cut and deeply scratched. They got to the point that duct tape wouldn't fix them. This last one seems to be holding up well though. It has the port covers I need to keep the metal chips and grinding dust out. It also can take a welding spark or two without flinching. My phone lives in my pocket, it takes a beating sometimes. But at the end of the day, I can take the case off to clean the metal out of it and my phone looks brand new. Much cheaper to replace a few cases than a new phone, no?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I find it funny people worry that other people put a case on their phone. In my line of work, I need a case.
To the people who say they are careful and the don't ever drop their phone, accidents happen. This is why they are called accidents.

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth

If I am not mistaken, the argument here is "most people throw a case on their phone therefor the design of the phone doesn't matter", yes? I think that's a flawed statement, personally. Those that don't use a case likely do care. The majority of people don;t care about the stocks app either. Those that do I am sure are happy it's there. :)

By the way, I would disagree that a phone needs a case on it. I think a lot of people are either clumsy, paranoid, or both. I fall into the paranoid category. I have never dropped my iPhone, and I use a case on it at all times.

This ^^ /thread

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011

THIS x 100. :D
Not too often something gives me a chuckle and is 100% true. Rebel indeed.

Hayduke60

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2009
Depends on what you are spending on the cases, really. Some of them are pretty spendy if you ask me!
I agree. I would love one of those Lifeproof cases, but can't see spending that much green on a case. I bought an Otterbox commuter case at Wally mart for less than 20 bucks. It has taken a severe beating and still looks great.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
You don't HAVE to put a case on it. I have a white 4S and sometimes I use a black bumper and it actually looks better because of the color contrast. Other times I just don't have anything on it. And I don't use screen protectors because the glass feels better. I am careful though and my phone is in near perfect condition.

I'm guessing people use cases because, to them, the phone might look better in the case, may be more comfortable to hold, or are trying to keep it in the best possible condition for resale.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

Why do you care what other people do with their phone?

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Why do you care what other people do with their phone?

You completely missed the point of the OP. But I gotta admit nothing more ironic than caring enough about someones opinion that you ask him why he cares about other people's phone. Yooz a funny fella.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.