Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
5. Quick Reply on Notifications

You're sitting there, playing Angry Birds on your iPhone or watching a movie on your iPad, when all the sudden you start getting in a Messages conversation, or a Facebook Messenger Group Chat, or a ChatON chat about where you and your buddies are going to meet. You're constantly switching between your apps just to send simple messages! With a new Quick Reply API added into iOS, now you can easily message back straight from the notification center; no need to constantly switch apps.

4. Integrate Facebook

You've integrated Twitter, so why not integrate Facebook. Allow Facebook (as well as Twitter) updates from Siri, allow direct photo uploads, even allow us to share things we come upon while on the internet, or share our favorite song from the Music app. Think of all the possibilities that Facebook integration into iOS can bring!

3. Make the Messages app an Aggregator

The New Messages app not only supports SMS and iMessage, but now you can get MSN, Yahoo, AIM, and Facebook chat right through messages. Each provider has it's own little icon so you never forget which service you're using. Windows Phone did it, so can you Apple!

2. Data Management Utilities

Not everyone has unlimited data on their phone. Digging through to the "Usage" menu isn't convenient either. By adding easier access to see how much data you've consumed, you can help save people from going over. You can even add the option to warn when you're about to go over your data cap and set your monthly cycle so the iPhone or iPad easily knows when to reset for that month.

1. Accessible quick-toggles in the Multitasking bar

Turning on/off Wifi, on/off Bluetooth, on/off 3G. Easy access to quick settings without opening the Settings app. Integrates perfectly with the Multitasking bar.

So what do you guys think? Like my ideas?

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I think these are great ideas.

I really want a quick reply system because I hate having to jump out of an app and then manually go back to the app I was in. It just feels discontinuous.

Quick toggles are also something that would be cool. I wonder if the multitask area would be the best place though. Unlike the iPad, there's not much space there and you would have to swipe 3 times to get to toggles assuming the music player and volume widgets are still there.

Facebook integration would be great for some, but I don't really care.

Data management isn't an issue for me since I essentially have an unlimited plan, but for people who have 500mb a month, it would be great. Some of my friends turn off iMessage because they don't want to waste data ==

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I dig 3, 4, 5. Number one, i can do via multiple jailbreak tweaks, so i'm not too worried about that. Number two i'm not worried about because i have unlimited data through Sprint. I'd like a "Downloads" folder so we can store/share files between all apps.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
1. Maps: Turn-by-turn directions with Siri, 3D maps, Compass integration
2. GameCenter: New profile page, online/offline friend's list, messages, Game Store
3. Camera: Face unlock, Panorama mode, Timer & Burst options, Photobooth for iPhone
4. Notification Center: Spotlight integration, additional widgets, swipe to delete, iCloud sync
5. Safari: Full screen browsing, swipe to refresh page, grid layout for current tabs & top sites

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009

You're sitting there, playing Angry Birds on your iPhone or watching a movie on your iPad, when all the sudden you start getting in a Messages conversation, or a Facebook Messenger Group Chat, or a ChatON chat about where you and your buddies are going to meet. You're constantly switching between your apps just to send simple messages! With a new Quick Reply API added into iOS, now you can easily message back straight from the notification center; no need to constantly switch apps.

4. Integrate Facebook

You've integrated Twitter, so why not integrate Facebook. Allow Facebook (as well as Twitter) updates from Siri, allow direct photo uploads, even allow us to share things we come upon while on the internet, or share our favorite song from the Music app. Think of all the possibilities that Facebook integration into iOS can bring!

The New Messages app not only supports SMS and iMessage, but now you can get MSN, Yahoo, AIM, and Facebook chat right through messages. Each provider has it's own little icon so you never forget which service you're using. Windows Phone did it, so can you Apple!

Not everyone has unlimited data on their phone. Digging through to the "Usage" menu isn't convenient either. By adding easier access to see how much data you've consumed, you can help save people from going over. You can even add the option to warn when you're about to go over your data cap and set your monthly cycle so the iPhone or iPad easily knows when to reset for that month.

Turning on/off Wifi, on/off Bluetooth, on/off 3G. Easy access to quick settings without opening the Settings app. Integrates perfectly with the Multitasking bar.

1) A QuickReply API would not be needed. API's are for developers to add things, i.e Game Center or AirPlay or AirPrint to their apps. All iOS would need to do is tell the app that the game will be interrupted. It already does this when a call comes in or when you close the app.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
1) A QuickReply API would not be needed. API's are for developers to add things, i.e Game Center or AirPlay or AirPrint to their apps. All iOS would need to do is tell the app that the game will be interrupted. It already does this when a call comes in or when you close the app.

The API would be for other messaging apps to quick reply

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
All great ideas, and all currently possible (except using Messages for multiple services) through jailbreak tweaks. It'd be nice to have them as native features, though.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010

4. Integrate Facebook
Quick reply is NEEDED, this in my opinion should be number one. This is probably my favourite thing about having my phone jailbroken.

Facebook integration, meh.. I don't care, I have facebook but don't post. I don't see the point.

I can't see them ever adding msn, etc support. I'm surprised people in use these still. Facebook chat, yeah fair enough. I have my FB app for that though. Not a big deal for me.

Data management would help, I get unlimited anyway so don't care.

The quick toggles should be in the notifcations menu not the MT bar, as it is with Android and sbsettings.

What do I think is NEEDED?

Bigger folders, let us scroll through them so I don't need 3 folders for my games (I jailbreak for this)

While I think it would be extremely complicated to introduce, password protection on apps (photos more specifically). I can do this with jailbreaking but there's no stopping someone open a image application and accessing my images that way. People are always asking to go on my iPad, if I could lock them out of things such as photos/videos/etc I would be comfortable with letting them go on it.

Those are the only two things what come to mind, facial recognition unlocking doesn't sound that good to me unless it is quick (surely it can't be quicker then me typing in my password...) And it's not needed its more of a show off thing in my opinion.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
The quick toggles should be in the notifcations menu not the MT bar, as it is with Android and sbsettings.

Agreed this would be a great place for them. Ideally I'd want wifi, 3G on/off, mobile data and Bluetooth included as I'm forever toggling these.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY

4. Integrate Facebook

A lot of people throw a lot of ideas around on this site that are pretty out there but I can't find anything I wouldn't like about this list (with the addition of statusbar notifications so you even know you have a message to reply to).

Like it or not jailbreaks are drying up so the more we can get into the native iOS the better.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
3 more things one usually does not think of, but still are important

1. Easy access to different profiles (ringtone on/off, also to be set or pre-set by time)

2. Possibility to pre-set send-time for SMS and e-mails.

3. Forward Delete key at least for external BT keyboards (if such support is missing today)

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
1. Easy access to different profiles (ringtone on/off, also to be set or pre-set by time)

2. Possibility to pre-set send-time for SMS and e-mails.

3. Forward Delete key at least for external BT keyboards (if such support is missing today)
When would you use 2? I just can't think of a situation when you would..

Apart from on NYE when your drunk and don't want to text everyone :p Last year my messages didn't end up saying "Happy New Year!"... I won't say what they said haha.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Nice ideas and I hope they get implemented one day.

We need a more refined notification system too (lock screen can just be one long scrolling list of notifications). The menu bar should show that there's an unread notification, or even better, the iPhone 5 to have a notification LED (the home button would be great, if it glowed red).

We need folders to allow unlimited apps. If I want to put 30 apps into a folder, then it'll just be a scrolling folder. I have about 5 folders for games - I'd much rather just scroll to find a game.

Widgets or live tiles. A pile of static app icons isn't too useful - I'd rather have useful widgets on the home screen. Not seen a concept or real world product that does this well though, so while I'd like to have it, it'd have to be done well.

App Store to stop asking for a password when we update applications.

Ability to turn 3G off, WiFi, adjust brightness etc all from the multitask bar. I also think the multitask bar and notification pulley should be combined into one.

Probably the most crucial one: failed SMS messages to automatically be resent! Why hasn't this been done yet Apple?

JoltinJoe

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
This is really nitpicky, but I would like to be able to choose an app that is displayed when my iDevice is charging, i.e. a slideshow of photos, current weather from a nice weather app, scrolling stocks.

I like the quick reply and toggle multipurpose status bar, as well.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
a lot of good ideas in this thread. i really hope quick toggle for at least wifi/bt is going to come with iOS 6 and hopefully some of these other improvements as well.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
When would you use 2? I just can't think of a situation when you would..

Apart from on NYE when your drunk and don't want to text everyone :p Last year my messages didn't end up saying "Happy New Year!"... I won't say what they said haha.

For instance when working during the week end, I can plan a sending out of an email (or fax using email) to be sent on Monday morning, when I want it to be sent and I know there are people at the office where they shall receive it. If I pre-set this sending on Sunday afternoon, I don't have to think about sending it on an often stressful Monday morning.

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
Quick reply would be nice but I would settle for not crashing 10% of the time when I click the message. And I don't care about Facebook rest is solid

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
For me, the number one thing that wasn't mentioned here is better maps. Stock maps are bad. I don;t want to pay $50+ for a navigation app. I want what the other mobile OS's have: a free feature rich turn by turn navigation program. That said, I do enjoy the way google maps currently works if you are walking/using public transit, so I would hope they don't get rid of that, but rather add to it.

FWIW there is a jailbreak for most of what is mentioned here. The best way to show Apple what you want (IMO) is to jailbreak and install those tweaks. This is an incredibly easy way for Apple to see what features people are jailbreaking for. We have already seen plenty of features that were previously jailbreak only implemented with every major release of iOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Aussie

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2012
We Need this

I like all of those ideas even though all the ideas you can get with jailbreak but apple would most lightly do it better.

Apple are stupid there have not added blocking people they need to add that.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I dig 3, 4, 5. Number one, i can do via multiple jailbreak tweaks, so i'm not too worried about that. Number two i'm not worried about because i have unlimited data through Sprint. I'd like a "Downloads" folder so we can store/share files between all apps.

I'd like to not have to jailbreak my phone to get those things though.

----------

I think everything mentioned here could be useful to various users. Ignorant statements like "I don;t use this so I don;t care" make me laugh. If Apple was in the market of making ultra custom phones for each of their users, that might fly. Until then, it's useful to think about everyone else out there.

For me, the number one thing that wasn't mentioned here is better maps. Stock maps are bad. I don;t want to pay $50+ for a navigation app. I want what the other mobile OS's have: a free feature rich turn by turn navigation program. That said, I do enjoy the way google maps currently works if you are walking/using public transit, so I would hope they don't get rid of that, but rather add to it.

FWIW there is a jailbreak for most of what is mentioned here. The best way to show Apple what you want (IMO) is to jailbreak and install those tweaks. This is an incredibly easy way for Apple to see what features people are jailbreaking for. We have already seen plenty of features that were previously jailbreak only implemented with every major release of iOS.

While I agree the stock Maps app is poor, the best £40 I spent was on TomTom in January. You can't beat a dedicated, proper Sat Nav app with full support from a big manufacturer.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
And 3G on/off toggle? LOL Why? You want crappy data speeds? You want to torn it on every time you need it? lol. It uses power when you use it, not when it's in indle.

Wrong. Having 3G on uses a lot more power, whether it's being used or not

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
iOS needs a ton of Android features. It may take a looooooong time for me to write it all out though... :S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.