Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Looks like a decent upgrade if the rumoured specs are even close to hitting the mark, but for me I think I'm mostly wanting new software features now rather than hardware. Galaxy s2 is extremely efficient already.

The rumoured "s cloud" (iCloud rival) may be what sways me to get one.

However having an iPhone to sync with my iPad would be great..it's just that the current gen iPhone isnt good enough for me. Want a bigger screen. :(

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
shut-up-and-take-my-money1.jpg

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Not interested because I don't like Android. I'm jelly of the hardware under the hood though, I wish they'd put that processor in a Windows Phone or the next iPhone.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
I had an android phone after my Iphone 3G and I had nothing but problems with it. The pros did not outweigh the cons one bit, I was so glad when I got my 4S I will never buy another android product because of that one phone, bleck.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I had an android phone after my Iphone 3G and I had nothing but problems with it. The pros did not outweigh the cons one bit, I was so glad when I got my 4S I will never buy another android product because of that one phone, bleck.

I find different people's experiences with technology fascinating. My experience is the mirror opposite of yours - I found the iPhone was getting tired, was underwhelmed when I got the 4S, but have found that the Galaxy S2 has reignited my excitement about smart phones.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

Which handset was it out of interest?

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I don't like plastic it feels cheap. Lumia, iPhone, HTC phones have much better build quality.
1) My iPhone 3G didn't feel cheap, yet the back was pure plastic.
2) The Lumia features an unibody polycarbonate (yes, that's plastic) design. It's the best example of how to use plastic to design a phone (and then ruin it with WP7).

If you replace the polycarbonate on the Lumia with Liquimetal, WP7 with a build of MeeGo that supports Android apps and throw in a retina display, you'd have the ultimate iPhone rival. Someone may send Nokia that memo.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
How do you define poorly optimized? A lot of Android phones are laggy, if that's what you mean. But Samsung's latest stuff seems pretty smooth.

Yeah, updates suck. They seem worst in the U.S.

How does the build quality effect you? (I figure you're talking about materials, sturdiness, ect.) Do you not put cases on your phones? It's arguable that Samsung phones are built better than the iPhone. Kinda depends on what you're looking for.

I think there's a difference between build quality/durability and impact resistance. There's this concept out there that the iPhone has bad build quality/durability because if you drop it it cracks. But in terms of how solid it feels and the quality of materials used, its the best out there, and its certainly very durable because the glass/metal stands up to wear and tear better than plastic. It has poor impact resistance, but phones really aren't meant to be dropped...you're talking about close to $1000 worth of cutting edge technology here, it should be taken care of. Cases/cheap phones are out there for the clumsy.

And, having a samsung focus and an iPhone, as much as I adore the focus, its because of windows phone. Not the device. The device seems cheap, the plastic makes it feel like a toy, not a tool. That's what people mean about the build quality I think. When you spend that much money on a device (GS3 will likely be $300 with contract), you want it to feel premium, and even though the GS3 will be industry leading, it won't feel like that in your hand (if they keep the plastic designs of older phones, this is all conjecture), and thats a problem

Cancelled
Jun 19, 2010
i myself am very interested in the s3 , my 4s has been the worst iPhone i have ever had, (on my 4th one!) calls dropping out , bad static, crashing apps etc etc, i thought the call issues had to be the network but i was wrong, tried my sim in another phone , and no calls dropped out , no static, i will deffo be leaving the iPhone fan scene this year ,which is a shame as i used to love the iPhone.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
Giuly said:
2) The Lumia features an unibody polycarbonate (yes, that's plastic) design. It's the best example of how to use plastic to design a phone (and then ruin it with WP7).

I switched from the 4 to the Lumia and lasted three days. Let me tell you, the operating system was the best part about that phone. WP7 is awesome but after using a phone of glass and steel for the past two years I couldn't settle for plastic.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I switched from the 4 to the Lumia and lasted three days. Let me tell you, the operating system was the best part about that phone. WP7 is awesome but after using a phone of glass and steel for the past two years I couldn't settle for plastic.

So the fact that the iPhone is made of glass and stainless steel overrides everything else:rolleyes:

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I don't know how samsung do it, but their android phones seem to operate so much more smoothly than all the others

the SGS2 is totally lag free
So is my Samsung galaxy note.

----------

I think there's a difference between build quality/durability and impact resistance. There's this concept out there that the iPhone has bad build quality/durability because if you drop it it cracks. But in terms of how solid it feels and the quality of materials used, its the best out there, and its certainly very durable because the glass/metal stands up to wear and tear better than plastic. It has poor impact resistance, but phones really aren't meant to be dropped...you're talking about close to $1000 worth of cutting edge technology here, it should be taken care of. Cases/cheap phones are out there for the clumsy.

And, having a samsung focus and an iPhone, as much as I adore the focus, its because of windows phone. Not the device. The device seems cheap, the plastic makes it feel like a toy, not a tool. That's what people mean about the build quality I think. When you spend that much money on a device (GS3 will likely be $300 with contract), you want it to feel premium, and even though the GS3 will be industry leading, it won't feel like that in your hand (if they keep the plastic designs of older phones, this is all conjecture), and thats a problem

The Focus was a cheap phone wasn't it?

----------

So the fact that the iPhone is made of glass and stainless steel overrides everything else:rolleyes:

I guess for some it does. Most use a case anyway, so for me it is not as much of an issue. Sammy has made some inexpensive handsets and also makes some Higher end models which feel like premium handsets.
You usually get what you pay for. The Iphone is a $600 phone, so it should feel solid in the hand. Set it down a bit hard and that nice glass doesn't hold up though. Drop a plastic phone and it won't break as easy.
Many choices for different folks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.