Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Anyone try using WhatsApp for MMS to other other smartphones. Almost everyone I know that wasn't using it I have got them to use it and now that pretty much all we use for all txt'n/MMS. I'm just going out on a limb here as no1 I know uses ST although I have a SIM just haven't activated it just yet.

Yes, I'm using WhatsApp over wifi/cellular data. It works fine.

macrazee

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
Straight Talk is great...why pay more?

AT&T would be in real trouble if the masses weren't fools who frothed over a "FREE" or "$99 Special" phone versus their total bill over 24 months!

You do need to watch your data usage that is the one thing that will get you terminated. If you use over 2GB per month forget it.

Sulten

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Does Iphone 4s ( Sprint ) work with straight talk? My friend wants me to help him as he has sprint. I've read about not being able to get the sms but the work around will work.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
Does Iphone 4s ( Sprint ) work with straight talk? My friend wants me to help him as he has sprint. I've read about not being able to get the sms but the work around will work.

Wouldn't work as you can't unlock a CDMA iPhone for US GSM Carriers (i.e. AT&T or StraightTalk).

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
technically it will work. U will need to use new givey sim imposter and your phone has to be jailbroken so no 5.1 update

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
technically it will work. U will need to use new givey sim imposter and your phone has to be jailbroken so no 5.1 update

Really? I thought the iPhone 4S could either run on the CDMA or GSM networks, and not both? I guess I could be wrong. I also thought Sprint/Verizon were CDMA networks and AT&T/StraightTalk/other MVNOs were GSM...

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Really? I thought the iPhone 4S could either run on the CDMA or GSM networks, and not both? I guess I could be wrong. I also thought Sprint/Verizon were CDMA networks and AT&T/StraightTalk/other MVNOs were GSM...

Yes really. 4s has CDMA/GSM radio in it and nothing is stopping it. Its an artificial block that apple put in per request from cell companies. Basically they are filtering out and locking out USA GSM networks. New impostors (givey and RSIM) remove that lock. Only thing is u have to have a jailbreak in order to install one package that is needed for CDMA phones.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Yes really. 4s has CDMA/GSM radio in it and nothing is stopping it. Its an artificial block that apple put in per request from cell companies. Basically they are filtering out and locking out USA GSM networks. New impostors (givey and RSIM) remove that lock. Only thing is u have to have a jailbreak in order to install one package that is needed for CDMA phones.

Ah, then I am wrong. :) Thanks for the clarification.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
yes sprint will work too. But u need to find an iphone with 5.0.1 and either jailbreak it or buy it jailbroken already. 5.1 will not work. Then you will need to get Givey card and follow the steps

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
The problem with Straight Talk is how well data works!
Works faster than my home WiFi, I don't want to waste it but it's so good, I enjoy using it..

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Straight Talk is great...why pay more

AT&T would be in real trouble if the masses weren't fools who frothed over a "FREE" or "$99 Special" phone versus their total bill over 24 months!

Well I have a family of 5 on AT&T, all on brand new iphone 4S. If we were on Straighttalk, we'd have to pay at $600 per phone $3,000, and for the plan $45 X 5 X 24 months is 5,400. Total cost: $8,400

On AT&T, we get brand new iphone 4S for $200 for 24 months ($1,000), and a family plan of $60 a month, $20 Family text, Mobile to Any Mobile, $25 data total $225 per month. Total cost: $6,400.

AT&T wins over Straighttalk with a family plan of 5 for those who always want the latest iPhones.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Well I have a family of 5 on AT&T, all on brand new iphone 4S. If we were on Straighttalk, we'd have to pay at $600 per phone $3,000, and for the plan $45 X 5 X 24 months is 5,400. Total cost: $8,400

On AT&T, we get brand new iphone 4S for $200 for 24 months ($1,000), and a family plan of $60 a month, $20 Family text, Mobile to Any Mobile, $25 data total $225 per month. Total cost: $6,400.

AT&T wins over Straighttalk with a family plan of 5 for those who always want the latest iPhones.
Did you factor in the data plan for EACH line? Because a $25 data plan on each line is $125 alone a month.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012

I've never been on a 'family' plan but apparently you can get pretty good deals that way. Good for you! (no sarcasm, I mean it). But for the average 'single' customer the difference is quite big. $100/month (average) for one of the 'big 4' providers = $1200/year. Straight Talk at $45/month =$540/year. Difference of about $660, which can be used to buy a new phone. I myself bought a mint iphone off craigslist for $300, and my savings over the year are even better. And when you factor in the SECOND year as you did in your comparison, the savings are about $1220. So you could get a brand new phone EVERY YEAR on straight talk (as opposed to every 2) and still not lose any money compared to AT&T. PLUS on top of that you aren't locked into a ridiculous 2 year contract.

On a side rant - the whole 2 year contract thing has to change soon...I think it already has started to considering the recent big push to prepaid coverage. A couple years ago it was ghetto to do prepaid, but now a ton of people (myself included) are doing it. I mean - who is really going to keep the same 'smartphone' for 2 years these days??

EDIT: Oh yeah - what's with the $25 data? You're telling me that your whole family of 5 only pays $25 for data every month? No offense but I don't buy that. What, do you guys get like 10MB each?

Oh lol - and one more EDIT: after reading your post again - you realize that the 'family plan' you are getting actually comes out the same as straight talk? The only benefit is the subsidized phones, which is legit, no doubt. But that just tells you how great Straight Talk is: it offers family-plan rates to individuals. Can't argue against that :)

Last edited:

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I've never been on a 'family' plan but apparently you can get pretty good deals that way. Good for you! (no sarcasm, I mean it). But for the average 'single' customer the difference is quite big. $100/month (average) for one of the 'big 4' providers = $1200/year. Straight Talk at $45/month =$540/year. Difference of about $660, which can be used to buy a new phone. I myself bought a mint iphone off craigslist for $300, and my savings over the year are even better. And when you factor in the SECOND year as you did in your comparison, the savings are about $1220. So you could get a brand new phone EVERY YEAR on straight talk (as opposed to every 2) and still not lose any money compared to AT&T. PLUS on top of that you aren't locked into a ridiculous 2 year contract.

On a side rant - the whole 2 year contract thing has to change soon...I think it already has started to considering the recent big push to prepaid coverage. A couple years ago it was ghetto to do prepaid, but now a ton of people (myself included) are doing it. I mean - who is really going to keep the same 'smartphone' for 2 years these days??

EDIT: Oh yeah - what's with the $25 data? You're telling me that your whole family of 5 only pays $25 for data every month? No offense but I don't buy that. What, do you guys get like 10MB each?

Oh lol - and one more EDIT: after reading your post again - you realize that the 'family plan' you are getting actually comes out the same as straight talk? The only benefit is the subsidized phones, which is legit, no doubt. But that just tells you how great Straight Talk is: it offers family-plan rates to individuals. Can't argue against that :)

He's dropping the 9.99 but his math is close. Family plan is $69.99, data is $25/line, text is $29.99 and include unlimited any mobile calling. That totals about $225 BEFORE TAXES AND BOGUS FEES a month.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
He's dropping the 9.99 but his math is close. Family plan is $69.99, data is $25/line, text is $29.99 and include unlimited any mobile calling. That totals about $225 BEFORE TAXES AND BOGUS FEES a month.

Ahhh, $25/line - that makes a lot more sense.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Does anyone know something about limits? I mean, we all know it's not unlimited.

I heard about 2gb/month of data.. What happens when you reach 2GB? Do they just stop your data?
I also heard about 100mb/day

And talk and text?

Thanks.

Fede

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Does anyone know something about limits? I mean, we all know it's not unlimited.

I heard about 2gb/month of data.. What happens when you reach 2GB? Do they just stop your data?
I also heard about 100mb/day

And talk and text?

Thanks.

Fede

After 2gb they freeze your service and you need to call cs

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011

Yes $25 data per line.
$20 family messaging (yes a few of us have this)
$60 plan first two lines and $10 for 3 more.
New iPhones every 2 years

Oh I didn't add in $200 average selling old iPhones.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Yes $25 data per line.
$20 family messaging (yes a few of us have this)
$60 plan first two lines and $10 for 3 more.
New iPhones every 2 years

Oh I didn't add in $200 average selling old iPhones.

My math and yours are both off then, I forget to add the $29.97 for three extra lines, but your plan's wrong too. $59.99 family plan and $20 family messaging BOTH don't allow M2AM. M2AM requires 69.99 plan and new $30 messaging feature, unless you have a FAN deal or other special plan - but that's not a fair comparison, because it's not available to any random customer interested.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
2GB is the "safe" limit. If you hit 2GB, your account is not automatically suspended.

People have reported going to 5GB in a single month before getting suspended. One month, I used about 4GB and was not suspended.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
and Will they defreeze it?

Do you know something about the 100mb/day ? is that true?

I've definitely used more than 100 mb in one day, but I stayed under 2 GB for the month. I was tempted to go over the 2 GB limit, just to see what would happen, but I didn't.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.