Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
This method, while weird, is supposed to work very well for people with home button issues. my home button works perfect, so I can't really test it. But I'm hoping someone can test this out and give some real results.

Step One: Open the Weather App or the Stock App.

Step Two: Hold the power button long enough so the “Power to Slide off” slider appears on the iPhone.

Step Three: Now, after having released the power button, press and hold the Home button till the slider disappears and the Weather/Stock app force quits.

"If you’re lucky enough – like almost everyone around who’s tried this trick – your iPhone home button would now be more responsive. Don’t ask us how or why, but if you want to know how to recalibrate iPhone home button, this sure looks like a pretty easy method that you can follow right away.

Although the nitty-gritty and the logic behind this method isn’t visible, the method sure helps those who’ve been looking for stuff on how to make iPhone home button more responsive – because the home button (the most pressed of all buttons on iPhone!) has this habit of lagging down, or becoming unresponsive after some time. In cases of rough or over-usage, the chances are pretty high."

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I tried it. Don't think I was having issues, really, but I figured it couldn't hurt. Steps are easy to follow and the OS reacts exactly in the way described. Would be neat to see a vid of a before and after (on a phone that has been effected with home button problems).

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I believe this method has been known for quite sometime. I remember reading about this last year. But it's good to keep refreshing our minds so that those who missed it can try fixing it by this method.

http://www.iphonestuffs4u.com/iphone-home-button-not-working/
http://digitalization.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/fix-home-button-problem-on-iphone-4-re-calibrate-it/
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2011/12/how-to-fix-you-iphones-unresponsive-home-button.html

All these have solutions which I googled. lol

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I believe this method has been known for quite sometime. I remember reading about this last year. But it's good to keep refreshing our minds so that those who missed it can try fixing it by this method.

http://www.iphonestuffs4u.com/iphone-home-button-not-working/
http://digitalization.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/fix-home-button-problem-on-iphone-4-re-calibrate-it/
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2011/12/how-to-fix-you-iphones-unresponsive-home-button.html

All these have solutions which I googled. lol

I am just seeing this method. Not saying it hasn't been around. The home buttons on my old ip4 had some bad lagging issues and I never remember seeing this method as a fix. But ur right. I'd rather read something twice or 3 times then never see t at all.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i repaired my wife's iphone 4 home button by replacing the flexible inside the iphone for under $10. now it works like new again.

Charcoalwerks

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
Maryland
I don't know, I just tried it, and my 4 home button still isn't as touchy as my iPod Touch 3rd Gen or my old 3GS. I could sneeze to close to the 3GS and I'd get the search screen!:D

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I have an iPhone 4 that's water damaged, and this did nothing for it. I think I had one a few weeks ago with the Home button issue, but it may have gone away after pushing it up to 100 times in a row. I figure the flex cable is just dead and needs repair if you really want to fix it though. I don't think any of these calibration tricks work unless it's a misalignment.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This method, while weird, is supposed to work very well for people with home button issues.
You're right, this method has worked well for me in the past.

However you left out the three important words one speaks, during step three. I've corrected it below.

Step Three: Now, after having released the power button, press and hold the Home button (while speaking the words "I hate Android") till the slider disappears and the Weather app force quits.

I know it may sound odd, but it's crucial you say "I hate Android" to your phone during step three.

My home button works perfectly now. :) :) :)

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I saw this on lifehacker and thought I'd try it. I didn't think that my iPhone's button was laggy or unresponsive just that it was faulty or worn. Clicking or double clicking often got the wrong response. I even took the phone to an Apple genius who agreed it was faulty but couldn't do anything as it was out of warranty. He did take the phone away to supposedly clean it and showed me how to turn on an accessibility notion to have home button on the screen.
I thought I'd just have to put up with the button till next phone came out, or the button completely died and I'd have to get it fixed, but this fixed it. Amazing.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Have had problems with my button - read this somewhere else and tried it... no help. Tried again, no dice.

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted

Didn't work. I can imagine that the simple act up pressing and holding the home button for a little while might improve the responsiveness in buttons with a certain fault. But not in all cases.

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
Wirelessly posted

Didn't work. I can imagine that the simple act up pressing and holding the home button for a little while might improve the responsiveness in buttons with a certain fault. But not in all cases.

It calibrates the home button. If it didn't work for you there's something hardwarewise wrong with your home button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.