Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mastsethi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
iPhone comes with Gorilla glass.
Screen guard on Gorilla Glass is like tissue on the Kevlar.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
You would think your assumption is correct but just today, I dropped my phone on the edge of my keyboard on work and it landed face up on my desk. It scratched my screen. My keyboard is a typical Dell "plastic" keyboard.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
People keep saying that the glass is invincible. But you guys forget something. The oleophobic coating on the glass is not scratch or wear proof.
The iPhone's manual itself says that it will wear with normal use.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
i mean i can afford it but it would be such a waste of money

I don't think you would be saying that if you felt one one the phone. If you have I have to say you are loco! Best feeling screen protector out there IMHO.

$30 is not very expensive when you weigh the quality and feel IMHO. I'll gladly pay another $30 if needed in the future. I had issues with my first one so I have a brand new one sitting in the package ready to apply when this one wears out.

Last edited:

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Corning nor Apple disclose this, but it's pretty obvious it's GG

And how is it obvious? The screen cracks anf chips rather easily so NO it does not use GG. GG isn't supposed to do this.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
After using screen protectors since I purchased my 4S.....today I finally removed it. Should have done this sooner.

Screen protectors are overrated and unless you're throwing your phone in with your keys or have Freddy Krueger-like claws....they're not really needed IMO.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
After using screen protectors since I purchased my 4S.....today I finally removed it. Should have done this sooner.

Screen protectors are overrated and unless you're throwing your phone in with your keys or have Freddy Krueger-like claws....they're not really needed IMO.
After your first scratch you'll possible feel different. Try the Glas T if you like the feel of being naked and want the protection. Don't let the price scare you.

I find it funny how some complain about the price of a $100 case or a $30 screen protector when they're placing it on a $800+ phone. In the big scheme of things I don't think it's a lot of money but I know some do. You can't take it with you people!

Tulipo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
So all of those cracked iPhone screens we see are clearly Gorilla glass? Right.

http://www.theithacajournal.com/article/20120415/NEWS01/204150360/Corning-glass-made-iPhone-possible

"Joe Dunning, a spokesman at Corning's headquarters in Corning, declined to verify the details of Isaacson's account.

But after the book's publication, Corning is publicly acknowledging its relationship with Apple. It previously had been bound by a nondisclosure agreement that designers like Apple use to keep their competitors from learning too much about their operations, Dunning said.

"What we can now say is that we have supplied the glass for iPhones since 2007," he said."

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
http://www.theithacajournal.com/article/20120415/NEWS01/204150360/Corning-glass-made-iPhone-possible

"Joe Dunning, a spokesman at Corning's headquarters in Corning, declined to verify the details of Isaacson's account.

But after the book's publication, Corning is publicly acknowledging its relationship with Apple. It previously had been bound by a nondisclosure agreement that designers like Apple use to keep their competitors from learning too much about their operations, Dunning said.

"What we can now say is that we have supplied the glass for iPhones since 2007," he said."
Oh snap! Good find.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
The iPhone does not use Gorilla Glass. I don't know why so many people think this.

Yes it does:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/02/apple...ne-means-gorilla-glass-2-likely-for-iphone-5/
http://www.imore.com/2012/03/02/apple-admits-corning-glass-iphone/

Apple was Corning's first client for Gorilla glass since the original iphone. Also they are their largest client.

That said, Gorilla glass is scratch resistant not scratproof. Also as I mentioned the oleophobic coating on top is not as hard as the glass.

mastsethi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
Yes, of course it is scratch resistant and not scratch proof. But with the normal day to day usage, its very unlikely for screen to get a lot of scratches.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Yes, of course it is scratch resistant and not scratch proof. But with the normal day to day usage, its very unlikely for screen to get a lot of scratches.

No but normal day to day use will wear the oleophobic coating as stated in the user manual.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey

agreed

cdd543

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
Denver
I prefer power support over the sgp though I haven't tried the more expensive one mentioned. Power support seem to last a little longer before being scratched in my experiences.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
I prefer power support over the sgp though I haven't tried the more expensive one mentioned. Power support seem to last a little longer before being scratched in my experiences.

im leaning towards the powersupport set or just going to a kiosk in the mall and have them do it, i always get at least one air bubble when i do it myself :eek:

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
im leaning towards the powersupport set or just going to a kiosk in the mall and have them do it, i always get at least one air bubble when i do it myself :eek:

Use use the tape method and it will remove dust/bubbles.

I also recommend PS. I used to love SGP, but my last experience with their oleophobic was quite bad.

maniacphoner

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I wish I had started with the Glas.t and didn't waste more than $30 on other screen protectors.

Ditto! I have to agree with you. I wish they had came out this product long time ago since I had been investing on various types of screen protector films. But I have been reading a few articles of the bubbles forming when applying the Glas.t. T.T I felt back because I was the one who introduced them into purchasing this item. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.