Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cruzer-u3

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
This does not work for a Telus Canada locked iPhone 4 on iOS 4.3.1.
I am trying to activate a Rogers SIM in it.
iTunes just says the SIM isn't supported and won't activate.
I guess the settings for Telus in SamPrefs must be wrong????

my friend
of course it doesn't work for you, because you are 4.3.1
it is working only for firmware 5.0 to 5.1
I tested already .worked
iphone 4 5.0.1 & ipone 4 5.1 AT&T LOCKED

ExcelPremium

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
Can you unlock it with more than one Sim card? Say if you bought a AT&T iPhone 4S but reside in Canada and using both Telus(personal) and Rogers(business) as carriers?

Or will I have to repeat the unlocking process each time I need to switch sim cards out? I ask because I'd want my unlocks on the Telus/Rogers sim saved, just in case in a week it gets patched.

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
my friend
of course it doesn't work for you, because you are 4.3.1
it is working only for firmware 5.0 to 5.1
I tested already .worked
iphone 4 5.0.1 & ipone 4 5.1 AT&T LOCKED

The link states:
"A new unlock for all iPhones has been discovered by Loktar_Sun. This SAM based unlock method works for all iPhone models, regardless of baseband and iOS version"
They need to be more clear then if it only works on phones running iOS 5.0 or newer....

jdzialak

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
i had it working but then had to do a tethered reboot after saving the lockdown thru the new redsnow, and i had no service. tweaked the SAM settings again for 30 mins and its back. I have a voicemail badge that won't go away...and i guess i cannot turn the phone off, ever, but its working for now.
I just posted 2 days ago that my unlocked 3GS died, and i have an iPhone 4 that needed an unlock. this came just in time.

The SAM instruction say to delete the app after unlocking. I'm afraid to since i needed again within an hour. ideas?

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
will this work to allow a Verizon iPhone 4S to work with an AT&T SIM? I never understood the rules with unlock w/ regards to the iPhone 4S.

Good lord. It doesn't gut your phone and reinstall new hardware. It's sad how many people delve into fancy phones and prolly think that GSM is an STD and you need to take a CDMA supplement daily.

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
The SAM instruction say to delete the app after unlocking. I'm afraid to since i needed again within an hour. ideas?

Just go to Disable in its settings.

I unlocked my 4S after about 5 attempts with the T-Mobile carrier bundle for Simple Mobile. I tried to do the same about 20 times with my iPhone 4, but I always got the "SIM card could not be recognized" message in iTunes. I guess it's been a few hours, so I'll try it again. I'm wondering if Apple patched the activation glitch with a server update. I sell unlocked phones from time to time, and this method would be nearly impossible to implement without the customer's SIM, so I'm glad ApplenBerry developed a new Gevey that will be reverse engineered by Chinese counterfeiters a few days after and lowering the price from $50 to $20.

ExcelPremium

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
Are you able to use multiple sims of the carrier you unlocked it to or just THAT particular sim?

Lastly, once you unlock it to another provider, are you still able to use the original providers sim?

jdzialak

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
Just go to Disable in its settings.

I unlocked my 4S after about 5 attempts with the T-Mobile carrier bundle for Simple Mobile. I tried to do the same about 20 times with my iPhone 4, but I always got the "SIM card could not be recognized" message in iTunes. I guess it's been a few hours, so I'll try it again.

I got the same message a bunch of times, but one time it just worked.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
If this has already been answered somewhere, feel free to redirect me. I have a 3GS that currently is SIM-less and hacktivated for use as an iPod in my car. I'd like to have it unlocked though, in case I need a backup phone. The only SIM card I have though, is an official AT&T microSIM for my iP4, still on contract. Essentially, I'd like to unlock the 3GS and be able to swap SIMs in and out without screwing up anything related to my AT&T contract (specifically unlimited data) and obviously keep everything fully functional. Am I able to do that using this method, without messing up anything when it comes to my phone plan?

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Here's my tut for those who need it :)

YouTube: video

Thanks for the video. I didn't realize you had to disable SAM prior to connecting to iTunes. You copied the IMSI off the AT&T SIM, but the new SAM(same version; perhaps he didn't update the number) always reverts back to your current SIM IMSI if you try to paste your AT&T IMSI in that box. I don't think you need that step anymore.

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
If this has already been answered somewhere, feel free to redirect me. I have a 3GS that currently is SIM-less and hacktivated for use as an iPod in my car. I'd like to have it unlocked though, in case I need a backup phone. The only SIM card I have though, is an official AT&T microSIM for my iP4, still on contract. Essentially, I'd like to unlock the 3GS and be able to swap SIMs in and out without screwing up anything related to my AT&T contract (specifically unlimited data) and obviously keep everything fully functional. Am I able to do that using this method, without messing up anything when it comes to my phone plan?

Your phone plan is tied to your SIM card. You won't have to worry about anything since you usually don't risk going over your data limit unless you're tethering or streaming lots of videos. You're already unlimited though. If you want to use your micro SIM in your 3GS, just buy a SIM adapter on eBay for $.99.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Good lord. It doesn't gut your phone and reinstall new hardware. It's sad how many people delve into fancy phones and prolly think that GSM is an STD and you need to take a CDMA supplement daily.

For 100th time all iphone 4s are same hardware. Chip used is both CDMA/GSM. Apple was forced by carriers to artificially lock out specific networks when 4s came out. Its sad how many people spread incorrect information by answering questions :)

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
Your phone plan is tied to your SIM card. You won't have to worry about anything since you usually don't risk going over your data limit unless you're tethering or streaming lots of videos. You're already unlimited though. If you want to use your micro SIM in your 3GS, just buy a SIM adapter on eBay for $.99.

right, but since this process requires an active SIM card, you're saying that trying the unlock with my 3GS (using an adapter that I have) is totally safe? That after the SAM unlock I'll be able to freely swap SIMs and keep the same exact plan/hardware as far as AT&T's records go?

EDIT: maybe i'm not exactly understanding the whole SAM unlock process. Is this a SIM unlock? Or a phone unlock? Or is there a difference between the two?

Last edited:

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Are you able to use multiple sims of the carrier you unlocked it to or just THAT particular sim?

Lastly, once you unlock it to another provider, are you still able to use the original providers sim?

Good question. You need to backup your activation tickets with an ssh tool like iFile, iFunbox, or iPhoneBrowser if you want to use multiple unlocked SIMs. You will have to restore the activation tickets for each unlocked SIM that you plan to use. The original AT&T SIM or original carrier SIM will work in conjunction with the spoofed activation tickets, but you may need to connect to iTunes when popping in the AT&T SIM or just toggling Airplane Mode On/Off. it took me a few tries to get my AT&T SIM to appear again. I highly suggest you back up your activation tickets if you plan to use multiple unlocked SIMs because this method seems to be random.

----------

right, but since this process requires an active SIM card, you're saying that trying the unlock with my 3GS (using an adapter that I have) is totally safe? That after the SAM unlock I'll be able to freely swap SIMs and keep the same exact plan/hardware as far as AT&T's records go?

Yes, your plan is on the SIM card and not the iPhone. There are some SIM carriers that do separate data plans for iPhones and Blackberries somehow, but that doesn't apply here.

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Here's my tut for those who need it :)

YouTube: video

I see what you did wrong here:

The IMSI from any AT&T SIM card should be copied and pasted in the main SAM settings for IMSI after you Spoof Real SIM to SAM. Under Enabled, Manual, ICCID, you can use this one for the IMSI if you have an AT&T iPhone 4 that you need to unlock: 310410429790146. You can also copy the IMSI from any AT&T SIM card.

Once you do that, click on Utilities-->Attempt Activation. Then after the automatic respring, make sure you slide the Enable option to off(gray) in SAM. Then connect your iPhone to iTunes. You'll get the red error message. Then unplug and replug your iPhone into iTunes for the proper activation. Your carrier will show Searching... and then the signal bars plus carrier name.

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/971919

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.