Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
I also observed people around me yesterday. I am living in Asia now. I noticed that the majority users use either the iPhone 4S or the Galaxy Note. Interestingly, most of those who use the Galaxy Note are the ladies. Not sure the reason. I thought the ladies would have preferred a smaller phone. Any possible explanation?

Ladies like me have purses to carry the Note. :)

Also in my case, I'm under 5 feet with correspondingly small hands. While I *can* use the iPhone with one hand, most of the time I end up using two anyway. My biggest issue with the size of the Note would be when holding it up to take calls, but not most other usage (I think - would have to experience it to know for sure).

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's nice not needing to put down my umbrella if my phone rings during a rainstorm.

This is a sincere question... how small are your hands that you cannot answer a call with one hand on a device like this? We aren't talking about texting, emailing, browsing the web, etc. We are talking sliding your finger to answer a call. I just can't imagine anyone having a whole lot of difficulty answering a call with one hand unless they are an xxs glove size.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
This is a sincere question... how small are your hands that you cannot answer a call with one hand on a device like this? We aren't talking about texting, emailing, browsing the web, etc. We are talking sliding your finger to answer a call. I just can't imagine anyone having a whole lot of difficulty answering a call with one hand unless they are an xxs glove size.

I have no clue what my glove size is, but I'm 5 feet tall. You're right, I could probably answer a 5" screen phone one handed; I was really thinking more about dialing phone numbers and/or sending a quick "it's raining cats and dogs; please pick me up" text message. If I'm only going to have one device with me, I'd rather have the smaller device.

ETA: Anyway, the original question wasn't "can you use a large phone with just one hand?" but "why would you need to use a phone (any phone) with just one hand?". I was just handing out some random examples of how one-handedness can come in handy.

Last edited:

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Wirelessly posted

mkruck said:
Can you make a phone call with one hand on the galaxy note. Can you use the note and scroll easily with with one hand.

Will Samsung update the Galaxy Note to ice cream sandwich before the Democratic and Republican National conventions?

I keep seeing this come up as an issue or potential dealbreaker, and I just don't get it.

I ask with all sincerity (not trying to troll, flamebait or open up a can of worms): What's the obsession with being able to use a phone with one hand?

So much of my use happens while having a drink or food. Otherwise known as one handed operation. This is critical.

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
As for another keyboard, I have not used the note... does it not use the stock ICS keyboard? The reason I ask is because the stock ICS keyboard is fantastic. Really, it is. I would say the next best is WP7 stock keyboard (also very good, maybe even a tie). I haven't come across a keyboard that is better than that of stock ICS.

Problem is that the note does not run ICS yet.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I just found that the Note comes with a stereo head set with a mic. Maybe we don't have to hold it single handed for long. I heard that the Note's version of the Siri is better than the one for the iPhone. Not sure if that is really true. I also heard that the signal to noise of the Note is better than that of the iPhone 4S. Also not sure if it is true.

----------

Problem is that the note does not run ICS yet.

Will it be available when Samsung provides an upgrade to Android 4 this Fall?

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
As for another keyboard, I have not used the note... does it not use the stock ICS keyboard? The reason I ask is because the stock ICS keyboard is fantastic.

I saw the virtual keyboard on youtube. The person said that it is a samsung keyboard.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have no clue what my glove size is, but I'm 5 feet tall. You're right, I could probably answer a 5" screen phone one handed; I was really thinking more about dialing phone numbers and/or sending a quick "it's raining cats and dogs; please pick me up" text message. If I'm only going to have one device with me, I'd rather have the smaller device.

ETA: Anyway, the original question wasn't "can you use a large phone with just one hand?" but "why would you need to use a phone (any phone) with just one hand?". I was just handing out some random examples of how one-handedness can come in handy.

Hey, you stated you couldn't even answer the phone. I questioned that, that's all. Your response (including mine) had little to do with the original question. And, FWIW, and I think I said this before, I agree with a lot of the points of a 5" screen being too big. I just couldn't get my head around not being able to answer calls one handed being one of them. :)

Oh, and based on your height, I would peg you as a medium glove. :)

----------

I saw the virtual keyboard on youtube. The person said that it is a samsung keyboard.

I haven't had the opportunity to use their keyboard overlay, but I can say that the keyboard overlays I HAVE used I didn't like (looking mainly at you, HTC!). Stock ICS keyboard, however, is very good. Using the stock keyboard may be as easy as downloading from Google play (or whatever the hell they decided to call the marketplace now).

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Can you make a phone call with one hand on the galaxy note. Can you use the note and scroll easily with with one hand.

Will Samsung update the Galaxy Note to ice cream sandwich before the Democratic and Republican National conventions?

Don't get me wrong. I like the Note. But there comes a time when a phone is just way too big for the masses.

My galaxy nexus feels too long and I found myself having to use two hands many times. With the Note it's almost a two hand operation.

It will appeal to some people. But it's not going to appeal to the masses because of its size.

Same with the iPhones small size. The Note for me is too big for the record but the iPhone is too small. A 4.3" screen would be ideal but looks like i have to settle for a 4.5". The one i have now is 4".

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Try this. I haven't used it, but it may be exactly the remedy needed for this situation.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...yLDEsImNvbS52bGx3cC5pbnB1dG1ldGhvZC5sYXRpbiJd

Dont see what is so great about that keyboard. Looks pretty basic to me.

There are so many keyboards to use. Better keyboard is nice if you dont want swype, Swiftkey X is nice. I mostly use SlideIt which is a Swype type keyboard (which is better than Swype imo)but you can also use it as normal too if you dnt want to slide on it all the time. It also has themes so you can change the color of the keyboard.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Same with the iPhones small size. The Note for me is too big for the record but the iPhone is too small. A 4.3" screen would be ideal but looks like i have to settle for a 4.5". The one i have now is 4".

4.3" phones are probably about as big as it can get for my hands to be able to comfortably use one handed. I can use SGS2 in one hand without stretching.

The iPhone is definitely very comfortable to use, but having used a phone with a screen that's almost an inch bigger, it's just too small.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Dont see what is so great about that keyboard. Looks pretty basic to me.

There are so many keyboards to use. Better keyboard is nice if you dont want swype, Swiftkey X is nice. I mostly use SlideIt which is a Swype type keyboard (which is better than Swype imo)but you can also use it as normal too if you dnt want to slide on it all the time. It also has themes so you can change the color of the keyboard.

That's the point... it's the base ICS keyboard (AFAIK) with a wonderful auto-correct built in. The stock ICS keyboard has been my favorite keyboard on a touchscreen device for its simplicity and accuracy.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
That's the point... it's the base ICS keyboard (AFAIK) with a wonderful auto-correct built in. The stock ICS keyboard has been my favorite keyboard on a touchscreen device for its simplicity and accuracy.

So, the "stock" ICS keyboard doesn't has the auto-correct feature?
Is the auto-correct function of the "base" ICS keyboard as good as the iPhone's?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
So, the "stock" ICS keyboard doesn't has the auto-correct feature?
Is the auto-correct function of the "base" ICS keyboard as good as the iPhone's?

The stock ICS feature DOES have auto-correction. The reason I pointed to this app is because it was pointed out to me that the Note is currently running gingerbread (which also has auto-corect, but it's not as good). IMO the auto correct in the ICS keyboard is better than anything else I have used. I would rate it as follows: ICS > WP7 (very close second) > iOS5 (trailing by quite a bit IMO)

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
The stock ICS feature DOES have auto-correction. The reason I pointed to this app is because it was pointed out to me that the Note is currently running gingerbread (which also has auto-corect, but it's not as good). IMO the auto correct in the ICS keyboard is better than anything else I have used. I would rate it as follows: ICS > WP7 (very close second) > iOS5 (trailing by quite a bit IMO)

Thank you very much for your info, lordofthereef.

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
Hello, can the iPhone 4S do things like:

The 4S doesn't have all of these features natively built in, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is not capable of performing these tasks.

1. S Memo

Without doing much research, I would say iWork would be the best way to replicate S Memo. Specifically the Pages app. You can insert photos and format text around them and create rather decent word documents this way. Not needing to do so myself, I am not sure how or if incorporating handwritten text is possible.

mzl.odxlujnf.320x480-75.jpg

Pages for iPhone

2. Instantly Capture and Annotate Any Screen

iOS does allow screen capture by pressing the Home and Lock buttons simultaneously.
This creates an image file in your Camera Roll which you can then open with a third party app to add hand written annotations.

Just do some research and you'll find hundreds of apps with the function of adding handwritten annotations to photos out there. It's just a matter of choosing the one that works best for you.

3. Rich communication of ideas and emotions

I suggest email. Been using it for well over a decade and I love it. There is also text messaging, Facebook, Twitter, and an abundance of other social networking sites with (somewhat) functioning apps available for iOS available.

4. Shape Match & Formula Match

Pages for iPhone has the capabilities of doing this. Just not by converting handwritten/drawn text.

Hope I could be somewhat of a help to you. Being an iPod touch owner you have everything you need to do what you are asking.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
The 4S doesn't have all of these features natively built in, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is not capable of performing these tasks.

Without doing much research, I would say iWork would be the best way to replicate S Memo. Specifically the Pages app. You can insert photos and format text around them and create rather decent word documents this way. Not needing to do so myself, I am not sure how or if incorporating handwritten text is possible.

Pages for iPhone

iOS does allow screen capture by pressing the Home and Lock buttons simultaneously.
This creates an image file in your Camera Roll which you can then open with a third party app to add hand written annotations.

Just do some research and you'll find hundreds of apps with the function of adding handwritten annotations to photos out there. It's just a matter of choosing the one that works best for you.

I suggest email. Been using it for well over a decade and I love it. There is also text messaging, Facebook, Twitter, and an abundance of other social networking sites with (somewhat) functioning apps available for iOS available.

Pages for iPhone has the capabilities of doing this. Just not by converting handwritten/drawn text.

Hope I could be somewhat of a help to you. Being an iPod touch owner you have everything you need to do what you are asking.

Thanks for the info. I did not know that there is an iPhone version of iWork and Pages.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
It looks like whenever Apple rolls out an update for iOS, all the iOS devices can benefit from the update. It does not matter whether it is an iPhone 3 or iPhone 4S (not sure about the future). However, for phones running Android, there is a possibility that the some of them may not be compatible with the new updates. Could anybody please confirm?

How is Android compared with iOS in terms of getting virus, trojan, etc?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

No, the iPhone 4S is not sentient nor does it have emotions. I doubt the Galaxy Note is, either.

Seriously, though, what kinda marketing puffery is that? You can "richly communicate ideas and emotions" on any phone, so long as you can talk and be heard.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

1. S Memo
2. Instantly Capture and Annotate Any Screen
4. Shape Match & Formula Match

There's a web site that has all the answers you seek.

By using it you'll save reading some of the erroneous responses from members who guess, rely on rumors, or consult with others who may not own the device you've referenced.

Here's the link, I'm sure you'll find it useful.

http://www.google.com

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It looks like whenever Apple rolls out an update for iOS, all the iOS devices can benefit from the update. It does not matter whether it is an iPhone 3 or iPhone 4S (not sure about the future).

Generally on an iPhone, Apple supports updates for about 3 years. That's generally not been the case at all for Android devices. Not even the "official" Google Nexus line is supported that long on Android.

There's a much, much higher incidence of malware on Android than on iOS. And by "much, much higher" I mean, there hasn't been any malware through Apple's App Store, as opposed to quite a bit of it showing up pretty regularly on Android's app stores, often times masquerading as legit apps (Angry birds, instagram, mobile banking apps).

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
It looks like whenever Apple rolls out an update for iOS, all the iOS devices can benefit from the update. It does not matter whether it is an iPhone 3 or iPhone 4S (not sure about the future). However, for phones running Android, there is a possibility that the some of them may not be compatible with the new updates. Could anybody please confirm?

The lack of Android updates is definitely true. Here's a link I read from back in October:

016a_android_orphans.png

7 of the 18 Android phones never ran a current version of the OS.
12 of 18 only ran a current version of the OS for a matter of weeks or less.
10 of 18 were at least two major versions behind well within their two year contract period.
11 of 18 stopped getting any support updates less than a year after release.
13 of 18 stopped getting any support updates before they even stopped selling the device or very shortly thereafter.
15 of 18 don’t run Gingerbread, which shipped in December 2010.
In a few weeks, when Ice Cream Sandwich comes out, every device on here will be another major version behind

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

Things haven't gotten any better. While Ice Cream Sandwich was released almost half a year ago, current statistics show only 3% of all Android devices are on Ice Cream Sandwich:

http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html

As of now, the Note has not been updated.

Regarding malware, just do a quick Google search on "Android Malware". According to some reports, millions of people have already been hit by malware on Android. A recent app pretends to be Instagram and sends hidden text messages to a premium number to rack up your phone bill. The first article I found highlights how serious the issue is, and recommends people install Anti-Virus software on their phone...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/221213/keep_malware_off_your_android_phone_5_quick_tips.html

This is simply not a problem on iOS, as Apple must approve each app before it makes it to the AppStore, and it is not possible to install apps from outside of the AppStore. The only iOS users which have been hit with malware, are people who jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.