Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I can tell you have nothing to say because this entire post is just insulting me.

These "Ultrabooks" use the same style finish as the macbook air, they use the same chic-lit style keyboard in the same style as found on the macbook air, Instead of an apple on the back its "SAMSUNG" or "HP", The ports are located in the same spots and look exactly the same, the SD card slot is in the same location, the weight and height is in the same location, etc.

Here's a photo of the Sony Vaio X505 - released in 2005:

vaio-x505-i1.gif

I guess Apple needs to stop using "the same chic-lit style keyboard in the same style as found on" the Sony Vaio X505.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I can tell you have nothing to say because this entire post is just insulting me.

These "Ultrabooks" use the same style finish as the macbook air, they use the same chic-lit style keyboard in the same style as found on the macbook air, Instead of an apple on the back its "SAMSUNG" or "HP", The ports are located in the same spots and look exactly the same, the SD card slot is in the same location, the weight and height is in the same location, etc.

Not all Ultrabooks look like the current MBA. Do some research and stop generalizing.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Samsung makes up some of the body parts that make a Macbook air but you don't see me calling it a Samsung air.

Same thing with windows machines, they have different companies but they still use the Windows software, thus they are Microsoft machines. These Ultrabooks are made by different companies like you said, but they all have the same operating system. Macs are made by different companies but we still say they are apple computers.

You actually have no idea about anything! This is quite amazing, keep going!

----------

Here's a photo of the Sony Vaio X505 - released in 2005:

I guess Apple needs to stop using "the same chic-lit style keyboard in the same style as found on" the Sony Vaio X505.

End of thread :).
Wasn't there a a device released before an iPad called "scratch book" or something, that the iPad copied?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I couldn't believe Microsoft had sunk this low. Talk about ripping off.
Actually MS supplies the OS, its the companies like Dell, HP, ASUS that create the hardware and as noted Apple copied sony, so you'll have to throw apple under the bus as well, if you want to criticize a company for copying

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
The Zenbook is the only -obvious- air knockoff I can think of, even the keyboard layout is pretty much exactly the same. I don't care for it or see the appeal of carrying a knockoff though.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Those "ultrabooks" are actually quite terrible, from what I hear. Apparently they overheat a lot and you can fix that by underclocking... And these often cost the same or more than the MBA.

But yeah, not Microsoft's fault at all.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Those "ultrabooks" are actually quite terrible, from what I hear. Apparently they overheat a lot and you can fix that by underclocking... And these often cost the same or more than the MBA.

But yeah, not Microsoft's fault at all.

The problems with Ultrabooks highlight the issues of trying to integrate Windows with different hardware configurations. MBAs are so good partly because OS X is finely tuned to essentially no more then 2 hardware architectures. x86 as used on Macbooks/iMac/Mac mini and the Xeon-based Mac Pros. Contrast that with Windows which has to work on 1000 different architectures.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'm surprised to see someone blaming Microsoft for the Ultrabook.

You can thank (or blame) Intel for all the Ultrabook innovations that we're seeing now.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I'm surprised to see someone blaming Microsoft for the Ultrabook.

You can thank (or blame) Intel for all the Ultrabook innovations that we're seeing now.

Obviously ultrabooks are MBA knockoffs and I'm expecting the lawsuit any day now, or does Apple only sue against something that's making money?

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
point of clarification:

microsoft is not to "blame" in this case, it's the individual manufacturers copying the MBA design, if you want to hold anyone accountable.

if you do a little research, you'll find that apple is unique in that it controls the hardware and software. windows machines may run the microsoft OS, but does not control the hardware it gets placed on.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I rather like the Ultrabooks, not that I have one or would get one
But if I had to use a Windows box, I would prefer one that was as Mac-like as possible in design

I currently use my MBA and run Win7 in VMware for a few things for work
When the time comes my job forces me to travel with my Dell, I will opt for an Ultrabook

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think Intel saw a potential revenue stream/market sector and is trying to tap it. This is particular useful for them since the netbook fad faded, either done in by the iPad to some degree or people tired of such a slow computer.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
The Zenbook is the only -obvious- air knockoff I can think of, even the keyboard layout is pretty much exactly the same. I don't care for it or see the appeal of carrying a knockoff though.

So you buy a laptop for making yourself look better instead of getting something done. Got it.

Obviously ultrabooks are MBA knockoffs and I'm expecting the lawsuit any day now, or does Apple only sue against something that's making money?

Why do you generalize like that when it's far from the truth? How does the Lenovo IdeaPad U300s, an ultrabook, compare to the MBA from a design standpoint?

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
It isn't MS, it's the OEMs of the industry.

They're out of ideas, have been for years now, and are using Apple as their collective R&D dept.

Apple shows the way forward and the others follow. Been this way for a while now. Just laugh about it and enjoy your MBA. It's a superior machine in every way, anyway. No current "ultra book" even touches it. Part of the reason the industry at large can't get these ultrabooks to move if their life depended on it, and meanwhile Apple sells MBAs like crazy.

It all started here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXh2RMHLm7E

People thought Apple was crazy - no internal drive, etc.

Yeah . . . crazy like a fox.

Well said.

Freaking knock off products make me sick. Gutless, ballless and unable to innovate on their own Dell, Asus, HP prove their inabilities by knocking off original well designed products.

Must be easy to be a designer there ... just sit back, wait for the product to become popular then reverse engineer it and tout it like its their own original - pathetic. They'll never will get my computer buying money.

Steve would be pissed. I hope Apple could sue them based on their design patents but maybe not.

Charcoalwerks

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
Maryland
I look at it like this, and I may be historically inaccurate....

1.Mustang \

2.Camaro = all 3= "Ponycar" = Freedom of choice= USA= luvit 'er' leevit!

3.Challenger /

Last edited:

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I look at it like this, and I may be historically inaccurate....

1.Mustang \

2.Camaro =all= "Ponycar" = Freedom of choice= USA= luvit 'er' leevit!

3.Challenger /

I don't get it. Why do people think computers are analogous to cars? I don't even understand what you're trying to say otherwise.

Well said.

Freaking knock off products make me sick. Gutless, ballless and unable to innovate on their own Dell, Asus, HP prove their inabilities by knocking off original well designed products.

Must be easy to be a designer there ... just sit back, wait for the product to become popular then reverse engineer it and tout it like its their own original - pathetic. They'll never will get my computer buying money.

Steve would be pissed. I hope Apple could sue them based on their design patents but maybe not.

The HP ProBook, EliteBook, Integrity, and ProLiant servers are design knockoffs too, right? What HP product is a knockoff of Apple?

And it's been said before, Sony was first to the game, so why would Steve be so upset that someone uses Sony's idea?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Nothing to do with Microsoft.

I doubt Microsoft much care whether or not you run Windows on a PC or a mac.

And, office is their cash cow anyway (makes a lot more than Windows does from memory), so if Apple take over they'll simply shift their focus to Office for Mac instead.

Microsoft is a software company. These ultrabooks have nothing to do with them. If you want to take random "not-really-justified" pot shots at assigning blame, blame intel, they've had more to do with the ultrabook market than Microsoft have.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
When flat screens with beveled corners are considered design innovations I guess everything could be seen as a knockoff. Seen a row of laptops lately? They all look about the same, probably because they are made up of a keyboard, screen, and a few ports.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
You don't realize how quickly you can ruin a brilliant industrial design until you see some of these MBA and MDP knockoffs.

Wobbly cases, lack luster displays, junk keyboards, wacky cable management, hot-spots, and noise.

All in the name of copy-cat cost reduction.

Reminds me when they took out the batteries and tacked on a two pound paper towel roll of cells on the back.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I assume you created a thread about how low Apple has sunk when they completely ripped off Android's notification system, right?

There is a HUGE difference between ripping off a hardware design and ripping off the notification center. Like orders of magnitude difference. Apple steals small, other companies commit grand larceny.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
You have to admit it's one thing for Apple to develop a 1 trackpad algorithm for 1 hardware implementation, compared to dozens of different hardware on Windows. Another example of how full vertical integration increases quality. It's not that there's a huge secret to Apple's success, it's that they had the in-house talent to pull it all off.

It's not like every Windows computer is a completely different animal. Intel and AMD make reference boards and a lot of manufacturers use related platforms. The ultrabook is a rather good example of this (where most ultrabooks are almost identical), and lots of computers built to run Windows have similar chipsets because of that. Sure, there are lots of chipsets, but they are commo enough.

If Synaptics made better a better trackpad driver it would probably end up in a hell of a lot of PC laptops within a few months. It's not really a case of unique engineering as it is laziness and wanting nothing more than profit ;)

Apple isn't quite that lazy, although they're definitely about profit too. They still have a habit of not quite getting things right (hehe, we could talk about those loose screws on the MBAs ;))

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
It's not like every Windows computer is a completely different animal. Intel and AMD make reference boards and a lot of manufacturers use related platforms. The ultrabook is a rather good example of this (where most ultrabooks are almost identical), and lots of computers built to run Windows have similar chipsets because of that. Sure, there are lots of chipsets, but they are commo enough.

If Synaptics made better a better trackpad driver it would probably end up in a hell of a lot of PC laptops within a few months. It's not really a case of unique engineering as it is laziness and wanting nothing more than profit ;)

Apple isn't quite that lazy, although they're definitely about profit too. They still have a habit of not quite getting things right (hehe, we could talk about those loose screws on the MBAs ;))

Difference is Apple knows if you get it right the first time, profits will follow. Apple has always operated on that basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.