Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
My last two Macs have been 17" MacBook Pro's if Apple does indeed drop the 17" model then I'll not be buying a new Mac.

I know that the 15" and 13" models probably sell a whole lot more and I'm just buying a niche product but this sucks if true :(

bailorg

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
I wish analyst predictions would get relegated to the blog

People just get pointlessly amped up/infuriated over pure speculation when this sort of thing gets posted on the front page.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
If it has the word "Pro" in it, it's a safe bet it's on the list of things to drop.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Would be a damn shame if so. As a graphic designer, the extra screen real estate available on the 17" MBP makes working in InDesign, DreamWeaver, Photoshop that much more practicable and it's really not that heavy a machine to lug around.

Certainly if they discontinue the 17" I'll be replacing my current 2009 17" MBP pronto before they disappear from the channel...

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have this suspicion as well. We may be seeing just a 11' air, 13' MacBook (amalgamation of both air and pro) and 15' MacBook pro. Apple seems to be in the process of streamlining their laptop line and the 17' currently sticks out like a sore thumb, IMO.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
People just get pointlessly amped up/infuriated over pure speculation when this sort of thing gets posted on the front page.

Ming-Chi Kuo is clearly full of crazy talk. If Apple slims down the 15", power will be sacrificed and for those that need it in a portable machine, the 17" MacBook Pro will be the final option. Otherwise, you're going to have a lot of people jumping ship from Mac laptops, and Apple's all about people joining the MacBook party not leaving it.

Kuo's been reasonably accurate in the past. Not 100%, but far better than most.

https://www.macrumors.com/search?s=kuo

arn

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
I'm not sad...

My first Powerbook was a 17", 1.33 G4. It was beautiful. Like a giant, beautiful unicorn in a sea of prairie monsters, the 17"'er was a beaut.

But she's past her time. She's just not as popular anymore.

She doesn't want to die kicking and screaming! She shouldn't be made to suffer!

End the line! End the line now! End it while we still love her!

It's for the best. Goodbye, 17" MacBook Pro. We loved you and will remember you fondly.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I work in a computer shop and we sell like 1 macBook Pro 15" every 10 MacBook pro 13". And much more less 17".

heyisa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Kansas
I had a 15 inch and loved it, but recently decided to go 17 inch and I love it even more. Yes it weighs a lot, but most people are not dancing around with their laptops (When I need portable, I got an ipod touch in my pocket.) My eyes aren't great and the screen real estate gives me lots of space to have two applications open on the same screen, which is great for productivity.
This is also the best replacement TV computer ever. I can watch full HD movies in bed with a bright beautiful screen. Me and my girlfriend often times watch tv and movies on it instead of the TV. 15 inches just isn't as good in this department.

In all honesty I don't use the express card port. But having separate audio in and out is necessary, as is having a firewire 800 port. If the new "thinner" 15 inch macbook pro doesn't have these ports I probably won't be buying one anytime soon.

I predict if this rumor is true, the latest 17 inch will have one of the highest resale values of any mac. There are pros that love these machines.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Nawwww... won't happen anytime soon.

I think the 17" system is a gotta-have purchase for many of its owners, and the cost is a secondary consideration.

That is me for sure and I agree with the other parts in your post too. I think it is unlikely they would discontinue a profitable product.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
17" - more real estate (no, same px on smaller screen doesn't cut it); room for expansion slot; extra ports; built-in optical drive (not quite dead yet). I'm on my third, and they're only too big on an airline table - and a 15" is about the same depth.

Someone saying they are too "huge" needs to set it next to a 15" UB. It's surprising how close in width and depth they really are.

I certainly hope the analyst is wrong. IMO, is would be a big mistake. Pros need the extra real estate and expansion.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
I can't really imagine Apple dropping the 17" model.

If Apple had dropped all the models that were rumored to be dropped, there wouldn't be any more models to buy.

There are two words in this article that reveal quite a bit: "rumor" and "analyst".

Who the hell is an analyst? Do they get anointed or are they self-appointed? ;)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
Great news!!! I hope they ditch the Mac Pro too. Both these products are of the past. Nobody wants to carry around a 17" laptop anymore, and certainly very few people want a bulky desktop computer unit that attaches to a separate external monitor.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Likely next they drop the Mac Pro and then software like Logic and so on. There are so many more content-comsummers than there are people who make stuff. Why not sell to the larger group?

But really for most people 15" is a good compromise and they can connect to a 27" monitor.

problem is, I fixed my mbp15 logic board instead of buying a current maxed out 17" expecting an imminent refresh on the 15'' and a couple months later, a refresh on the 17'' in line with the aforementioned.

If this guy is really good with predictions, I should set out and buy the mbp17" now!

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
A rant but a very true one.

I think it makes a lot of sense, the air is a beautiful piece of industrial design but more of a upmarket product. The 13' Macbook Pro offers so much for its price, if the 13 mbp had a dedicated card I can see it taking over a lot of the market as it would compete with the windows machines. I personally think the 13' form factor is perfect and ideal as a portable machine, and have had 6 laptops all 13'.

When I bough my first 13' macbook in 2007 it was the cheapest and lowest spec macbook you could buy and it cost $1800 now you can get the pro machines for 1300-1700 that is what people lean towards.

I don't think the market for for the 17' mbp is that large, and the figures show this, there will always be people who think that a particular apple product is the best one and are willing to spend $3500 on a 17' portable quad-core machine to render on site. It's definitely niche but if there is one thing we have learnt over the past 5 years is that apple has shifted its strategy from the semi-pro and professional market to a very very consumer market, as a result we have seen the decline in what I believe apple should be focusing on.

RIP Mac Pros (no longer really taken that seriously)
RIP Matte Cinema Displays (30' 23')
RIP 17 Macbook Pro's
RIP Apples credibility in making products for the professional market

We welcome more broadly affordable gimmicks like ipad 2's 3's 6's iphone 5's 10's and everything else to follow as apple slowly takes over the PC market. Sure innovate, but these toys are just toys. Apple, it's okay your strategy is to get money, but don't **** bitches we still love you for who you once were.

Last edited:

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
I'm a content creator. With the recent rumors for an expanded Air line, I've been thinking that if the new 17" can be brought down to the weight of the current 15", then I would get a 17". My dream would be a 17" MacBook Air, with the large screen size for viewing multiple apps for working, with the manageable weight of the current 15". With Apple's obscene profit margins for its other notebook models, as a responsible equipment supplier, it can afford to carry models that are needed by a sizeable portion of users, particularly professional users.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Apple have shifted their focus away from "Pro" users to consumers - that is what is making them money though.

I can see the creative industries moving to Windows in the next 5 years. (They will still have iPads and iPhones)

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
yeah, drop mac book pro 17", mac pro, whats next?

Next, you will go back to Windows and Dell's business products, like anybody else who uses computers professionally. It's that simple.

That being said, the 17" Apple notebooks were awesome. Personally, I never saw the benefits of the 15" models - they're a strange compromise between a workstation replacement and a true mobile system, neither being one or the other. The 12" and 13" Apple notebooks were amazing if you needed something mobile, and the 17" series was great if wanted a desktop system that could easily be moved from one work place to another. But why would somebody want the 15" model? Anyway. Who does still care? Apparently, Apple wants to transform their notebooks into iPads with keyboards and trackpads and I'm sure that I won't follow them onto that journey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.