Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
You want to take external monitor with you when you go out? It's a laptop you know...

No, I just said I believe 15" sell a hell lot more than 17" because a lot of pros prefer a smaller laptop to carry around if they can have an external display at home or whatever they go to do their work. I'm not pulling this out of my ass. I've been told this by people who make money with their laptops. Sure, other people might have different needs. But, honestly, if they can pack at least 1920x1200 on the 15", I don't see why not.

CaptainCannabis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
If Apple drops 17" MBP I'll drop Apple. I require large (matte) screen, lots of power and hopefully expandebility from my laptop. I couldn't care less how slim it is. If I want slim I can have my iPad but if I need to do serious work on road I need my 17" MBP. Worst thing that happened to pro users were the success of iToys...

I couldn't agree more. I've been using Apple since 2001 (long before all the Apple craziness), and I've seen how they've progressively moved towards the new switcher and iToy market, leaving the pro market to the side. A good example of this is their OS - it's turning into eye-candy, with all the stupid iPad gimmicks and effects they are adding instead of making it an efficient and stable OS.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Dropping the 17 inch MacBook makes more sense if the next-generation 15 inch MacBook can match the current 17 inch screen resolution. Given that iPad screens have quadrupled in resolution, I see no reason why the same would not happen with MacBooks.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
At 2500 eur I cant see many clients. It's way too expensive for a notebook. I only met a few people with 17 mbps and one of them returned it for a desktop and a smaller notebook and still had some cash left:eek:.
I don't think pros are still looking at apple.

Last edited:

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
yeah, drop mac book pro 17", mac pro, whats next?

enough

edit--
It really doesn't make sense killing the content creation lines (mac pro, mbp 17").

If the MacBooks get a higher res display it might make sense. Give the 15" the same or better resolution as the 17" and the 15" is a 17" in sense. ;-)

- Joe

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
No surprises here. Once I heard a friend of my sister-in-law was getting a 17"MBPro. I jumped up and told her to call her friend and tell her "STOP!!" I argued that there aren't any advantages that the 17" offers, other than a bigger screen and a bit more L3 cache. In fact, there are more disadvantages:

• heavier
• no SD card slot (which she uses a lot, and Express card slot attachments are overpriced).
• costs quite a bit more
• heavier
• bulkier
• heavier

OK... the bottom line is it's just heavier and bulkier -- and costs more! I told her than with the cash she'd save getting a 15" with a matte hi-res screen, she can get an external 24" LED screen and still have a bit more for a 3rd party RAM upgrade.

People in the know... know this stuff. Others fall prey to sales people.

As for the next-gen MBPros... better to get the current ones so you have better upgrade options in terms of RAM and hard disk space! You won't be able to replace/upgrade these things in the next-gen model if they DO go the way of the Macbook Air!! Remember -- you can stuff TWO internal drives into a current 15" Macbook Pro (by sacrificing the optical drive to one), solid-state or not (and the SSD would be cheaper than 'upgrading' it on the Apple Store Online)!

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I'm quite disappointed with the sales number of the MacBook Air in the article, especially when it is compared with the strong sales of the MBP 13". MBA 13" is in every aspect much faster than the MBP 13", the screen is a lot better too. When you take the price of an equivalent SSD in the consideration, MBA 13" is much cheaper too.

So are people buying the 13" MBP just for the word "Pro"?

And if nothing else, the much larger storage space. I don't care if it's faster if I can't even put everything I need on it. And you can't update the MBA easily either.

Plus the 13" MBA is more expensive and you still can't even get a decent size drive on it (The best you can get is what i would need minimum and you have to pay a lot for that size hard drive). It's not like the MBA is that much smaller really. I'll take the larger size and get the computer I need.

MrVinney96

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
Holland :)
No.

Oh HELL no. 17' is PERFECT for video editing and Photoshopping. Although 15' is big and more portable, 17' is perfect if you want an iMac to go.

Please Apple, don't do this.

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
Hmm, when you visualize it, those 17s aren't such a big deal after all. Especially if they manage to squeeze the same number of pixels into a 15" laptop…

MacBookAirProSales-20120423-110549.jpg

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
If anything I think they should expand the line instead of limit it. The 17 inch doesn't sell the same as the 13 inch....no sh**. Dell and HP and Sony, and all the other makers of laptops have no issue keeping a lot of models around. I rarely ever see them discontinuing any line.

I wish if they were that done with Macs and wanted to only sell iToys they would at least free OSX so I could install it on anything I wish without hacking it. Just a nice simple install. (In my dreams, I know) Be nice for MS not to have 90% dominance of the OS market though, thats unhealthy.

Only a rumor though, hopefully they do expand the line and keep what they have. If not I feel so bad for the people that put in their hard earned cash towards the 17 inch and get shafted. My needs I wouldn't need that particular laptop, the 13 inch Pro does fine for me. Others have different needs.

A real aggressive SOB in charge could make so much more money if they expanded the lines properly without overlapping a lot of laptops, which is a problem for Dell and CO IMO, lots of their stuff overlaps.

Have the Air at 11, 13 and 15

Have a Macbook at 13-15-17 starting at 899 and working up to 1599. Average GPU's small amount of SSD memory. Average resolution displays

Have a pro line with the same 13-15-17 inch, maybe even a 16 inch (I like that screen size LOL )

All with beefier GPUS' and lots of SSD memory, more RAM, and higher resolution displays.

It would easy for anyone to make a choice there. Far easier than any other PC maker still even if they added some lines.

Last edited:

leo.andres.21

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Centre of the Attention
That $700 price premium is one reason why I'm not convinced by the rumour. It almost certainly has a much larger profit margin than the lesser MBPs to make up for smaller sales. Whether or not it is justified is the buyer's choice. Why do people buy an S Class when a C Class is nearly the same and does all the same things but is smaller? You could use the same arguments about volumes and price there too.

I never actually says the 17" will be discontinued, I doubt it. Just saying people opt for 15" more than 17" due to whatever reasons I listed.
But the 17" isn't like a luxury car, where there are distinctive features or function, as well as different form factors.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Hmm, when you visualize it, those 17s aren't such a big deal after all. Especially if they manage to squeeze the same number of pixels into a 15" laptop…
And they could have done that several years ago, and chose not to. Pixel count is not the only consideration when working 10 hours straight on a laptop. I already have a 15" laptop with that resolution and it's nowhere near as good as my 17" MBP.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If Apple drops 17" MBP I'll drop Apple. I require large (matte) screen, lots of power and hopefully expandebility from my laptop. I couldn't care less how slim it is. If I want slim I can have my iPad but if I need to do serious work on road I need my 17" MBP. Worst thing that happened to pro users were the success of iToys...

There is nothing a 17" can do that a 15" can't. The high end 15 and 17 have pretty much the same specs sans the PC Card slot which is so last decade. But the truth about the 17" is that it's not all that portable. You never see anyone use one in public b/c the footprint is ginormous. There is a reason it's become such a slow seller, so don't blame Apple if it doesn't think it's wise to pile good money after bad in R&D for future models.

I'd much rather Apple K.O. the 17" and concentrate on the 15" as its pro laptop, and even beef up the Mini as a headless, card slot-less, workstation.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
No surprises here. Once I heard a friend of my sister-in-law was getting a 17"MBPro. I jumped up and told her to call her friend and tell her "STOP!!" I argued that there aren't any advantages that the 17" offers, other than a bigger screen and a bit more L3 cache. In fact, there are more disadvantages:

• heavier
• no SD card slot (which she uses a lot, and Express card slot attachments are overpriced).
• costs quite a bit more
• heavier
• bulkier
• heavier

OK... the bottom line is it's just heavier and bulkier -- and costs more! I told her than with the cash she'd save getting a 15" with a matte hi-res screen, she can get an external 24" LED screen and still have a bit more for a 3rd party RAM upgrade.

People in the know... know this stuff. Others fall prey to sales people.

As for the next-gen MBPros... better to get the current ones so you have better upgrade options in terms of RAM and hard disk space! You won't be able to replace/upgrade these things in the next-gen model if they DO go the way of the Macbook Air!! Remember -- you can stuff TWO internal drives into a current 15" Macbook Pro (by sacrificing the optical drive to one), solid-state or not (and the SSD would be cheaper than 'upgrading' it on the Apple Store Online)!

Those who actually get paid for what they do with their MBP's couldn't care less about some $700 price difference. You can make that money in couple of hours but you can't get a way with too small screen. Same goes for weight. Its not fashion accessory its a tool to get the things done. Lets face it, I couldn't care less if my next 17" MBP has aesthetic appeal of hammer as long as it gets the job done. After all Mac Book Pro is meant for PRO users and many prefer 17" over the 15" screen. When you are in location external screens do very little in many cases.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Really, why would anybody choose the 13" Pro over the Air ? It has a faster CPU and (potentially) more memory, but it's much heavier and has a lower screen resolution. If you're going to pay the weight penalty, you might as well get the 15"

(and I"m speaking as someone who's owned a 11" & 13" Airs, 12" Powerbook, a 13" Macbook and a 15" Pro).

Hrm, let me see. From some one who would not consider the Air and loves her 13" Pro...

1 (and a huge one that would make the Air right out for me regardless of anything else): Storage space. 256 GB is the minimum and the pro is a lot cheaper for that. And I can upgrade the pro to more than that. Can't with the air. Don't really want to get just the minimum honestly (right now that's what I have and I'm thinking of buying a larger one cause I'm getting close to capacity). ANd seeing as my 13" is also my main computer, no, I don't want to have to sit there and play organize my space games to keep under the limit.

2. Cheaper.

3. I like having a DVD drive honestly.

4. I like being able to upgrade my laptop easily.

5. I can install more RAM.

6. More ports (hell, I already have a USB splitter to make more ports on mine).

And those are my reasons I'd not consider the Air and definitely much prefer the Pro over it (I'm sure other people have other reasons). I can see why some people would want the air (as a second computer for more portability to a desktop), but it is totally not the computer for my needs at all (I just want one that replaces my desktop but is portable as well).

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
The numbers in the article is highly suspect.
Macbook Pro 13 inch is the only mac I see that are constant 20-25% off retail.
The only reason for that would be weak sales.

AIR Vs Pro 13. Besides the DVD, does not the pro model have a quod core/8 thread processor? Air have a dual core/4 thread.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Do people actually take computers out side of their homes?

I mean other than to work why would anyone take their notebook with them

Yeah, if nothing else I like being able to take my personal computer with me when I travel and having a computer with me. Plus it makes it far more usefult to be able to take it places cause I can then do more stuff with it. And I don't use my computer for my work.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
There is nothing a 17" can do that a 15" can't. The high end 15 and 17 have pretty much the same specs sans the PC Card slot which is so last decade. But the truth about the 17" is that it's not all that portable. You never see anyone use one in public b/c the footprint is ginormous. There is a reason it's become such a slow seller, so don't blame Apple if it doesn't think it's wise to pile good money after bad in R&D for future models.

I'd much rather Apple K.O. the 17" and concentrate on the 15" as its pro laptop, and even beef up the Mini as a headless, card slot-less, workstation.

Bull... It's not about PC card slots it's about ability to do your work in comfortably manner. I have 15" MBP and couple of 17" MBP's and using 15" sucks in location. BTW. I couldn't care less about foot prints etc. the same applies to many creative pro users.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
But the truth about the 17" is that it's not all that portable. You never see anyone use one in public b/c the footprint is ginormous. There is a reason it's become such a slow seller, so don't blame Apple if it doesn't think it's wise to pile good money after bad in R&D for future models.
Ummm... mine's been to every continent on the planet with the exception of Australia, multiple times. I don't see that argument at all. It weighs a whopping 1 pound more than the 15" and it's an inch wider. It's not really an issue.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
yeah, drop mac book pro 17", mac pro, whats next?

enough

edit--
It really doesn't make sense killing the content creation lines (mac pro, mbp 17").

Looks like Apple doesn't care about pro market anymore:rolleyes:

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
I would say, that is possible, if we consider the 15' to have a retina display, because the pixel density would be better than the actual 17' and the 17'ches would not make a really better retina than 15'ches,wich means almost there,so 17 inches would be obsolete.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Dropping the 17 inch MacBook makes more sense if the next-generation 15 inch MacBook can match the current 17 inch screen resolution. Given that iPad screens have quadrupled in resolution, I see no reason why the same would not happen with MacBooks.
I can, battery life. Without making it thicker and heavier anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.