Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
'If' the rumor is true it's sad.

Many people need the 17" screen for mobile work.

Please, if you'd like to see the 17" survive then email Apple at the link below.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

The company has gone to the extreme with mobility and high volume products only. The 17 makes money for Apple but maybe just not enough money.

Who cares, leave it alone, just because it may not be a multi-million-dollar maker it serves a lot loyal customers well.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
It's ok they are making a 21" mbp for true video/photo editing professionals to replace it.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It's ok they are making a 21" mbp for true video/photo editing professionals to replace it.

Yep:
2012_03_26_pC1_21inch.png

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm guessing this rumour is coming about because the 13" MacBook Pro and 15" MacBook Pro will see the new Air-like design first. The 17" was late to get the unibody design, and I believe it'll be the same in this case.

I don't think it is going anywhere.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I seriously doubt Apple will drop the 17" screen. In fact there were "rumors" a year ago about a 17" Macbook Air on the horizon. Apple is dropping most the MBP models to keep their machines more inline with the iPad/MBA interface. Given that, the optical drive in the MBP just doesn't fit in with Apple's strategy.
So I think we will see a 17" MBA in the coming months.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Seems a little premature based solely off a questionable rumor from an analyst

While true, waiting until it is discontinued will be too late. apple will be unlikely to backtrack on something like that, without an amazing outcry that I wouldn't expect.

I have no interest in the 17" myself, but I know some who really do, so for their sake I hope it stays around (or is replaced by another size that is equally capable, such as a 16" or 18", although I don't see those being likely).

jW

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
... so many useless smart assed remarks from the usual ****** ...

Unfortunately this 'analyst' has been very accurate in the past, so there is cause for alarm by anyone who uses, wants or needs a 17".

For those suggesting a "reaction" rather than "pro-action" you simply don't get it.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009

Unfortunately this 'analyst' has been very accurate in the past, so there is cause for alarm by anyone who uses, wants or needs a 17".

For those suggesting a "reaction" rather than "pro-action" you simply don't get it.

i have enjoyed 17 inch mbp in the past. i read your posts and articles regarding these rumors and am more alarmed. i am concerned that the macbook pro is dead as we know it. most of apples revenue comes from the iOS devices. according to the article most of their notebook sales come from the 11 and 13 inch models. at best apple treats the macbook pro 15 and 17 like the mac pro and ignores it. at worst they merge the lines and we basically get macbook air 11-15.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
i have enjoyed 17 inch mbp in the past. i read your posts and articles regarding these rumors and am more alarmed. i am concerned that the macbook pro is dead as we know it. most of apples revenue comes from the iOS devices. according to the article most of their notebook sales come from the 11 and 13 inch models. at best apple treats the macbook pro 15 and 17 like the mac pro and ignores it. at worst they merge the lines and we basically get macbook air 11-15.

agreed, I can see this happen

----------

if this analyst is right wouldnt that mean the decission is already made in apples head? so would this patition be reaction?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Laugh all you want, but I would buy that...

AGREED! I'd get that in a heartbeat for our university's mobile studio. Having a 21" display with a plethora of ports, two Thunderbold ports, Express Card 34 (just because) eSATA, enough space and cooling for beefier CPUs and Nvidia Quadro GPU (FINALLY), and a HUGE trackpad would be perfect for anyone looking to get a mobile workstation going.

I think the thing people have to remember is that not everyone enjoys using a 13" screen. Sure, if Facebook and email is your bring-home-the-bacon job then go for it. But for users that find the 23" ACD a bit small it just won't cut it.

if they discontinue the 17" i'll get the current version one.

I agree, but then we'll be stuck looking at real mobile workstations from HP and Dell . . . running . . . . Windows (YUCK!) or squinting our eyes at a 15" display.

So I think we will see a 17" MBA in the coming months.

I agree, but the biggest issue I have with the MBA styled 17" MBP is cooling, or lack thereof and limitations a thin laptop would have on CPU selection. The "Pro" in Macbook Pro is really a misnomer, but most have come to relate the "Pro" with just one more USB and a Firewire 800 port, as opposed to top-of-the-line specs.

Making a 15" and 17" "Air-like" device really means Apple is going to axe off the entire MBP line, and give us machine with just two USB ports, an SDXC slot and Thunderbolt . . . which wouldn't be bad at all if it still came with top notch quad core mobile workstation CPUs . . . but we all know that won't happen.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
I really hope this doesn't happen. But I think what others have said is right, i think the MBP may be dying. Apple is more concerned with iOS devices and appeasing the mass consumer and don't want to be bothered by people who need more from their machines. If Apple merges the MBA and MBP I think I will have to look at a windows machine next time around. I want the ability to easily upgrade my RAM and HDD. If Apple didn't charge an arm and a leg for upgrades I may be more inclined to have them do it. All I can say is I hope this doesn't happen and I would be happy to sign a petition to show Apple that they are losing their way.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
A 21" Macbook Pro would fall apart before you got it out of the store.

Look at the 15" 2008/2009 A1286 models. The back cover is two pieces, and glued together. It comes apart at the bottom all the time.

Or the A1226/A1260 models with the frame that falls apart at the bottom because the frame is incredibly thin with no reinforcement.

21" advertisements. I can see it now. "Think different. Think broken."

Getting rid of the 17" makes sense. A bigger machine with the same design is just going to break more often. Less people buy it, as well.

the 2010 and 2011 unibody are a step in the right direction. The back cover is sturdy, good frame, ONE piece. But maybe it's too little too late.

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Over the past year I bought two 17" MBP's and turned down a good deal on a third. They are just too big for the amount of travel/commuting I do. I also returned the first two.
When they are out I'm leaning toward an 11" Air or 13" Pro, assuming there is still one. And then keeping 1080p monitors located in key locations. Add to that there are generally spare monitors floating around where I commonly land. Carrying a spare TB to DVI cable is sufficient. I get my laptop screen plus usually another 22" screen available.

I am curious, of those here who currently have 17" MBP's - how many buy it for the extra screen size and how many buy it for the quad-core CPU/GPU/RAM combo?

Also, I noticed Lenovo dropped their 17" Thinkpad sometime this past year. It may be the end of the large laptop.

Last edited:

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010

The 17" is severly overpriced, that's what is wrong with the 17" MBP. If you look at competitors, the increase to 17" inch isn't that much more expensive. It's only with Apple laptops.

So people go buy the 15" MBP instead of the 17" due to the big jump in money. If Apple prices the 17" MBP at a more reasonable level, the 17" MBP would be alot more profitable due to more volume.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
The 17" is severly overpriced, that's what is wrong with the 17" MBP. If you look at competitors, the increase to 17" inch isn't that much more expensive. It's only with Apple laptops.

So people go buy the 15" MBP instead of the 17" due to the big jump in money. If Apple prices the 17" MBP at a more reasonable level, the 17" MBP would be alot more profitable due to more volume.

This is the truth of it, the starting price for a brand new MacBook Pro 17" is astronomical in comparison to competitors. Most consumers can stomach the price hike on the 13" model and maybe the 15" model, but it just seems to be way out there for the 17".

ayres

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
and why would a cloaked corporate entity such as apple listen to the emotional pleas of a few? the data from which they base their product decisions far outweighs what we know... besides, this is a company that prides itself on creating demand - they don't keep something in production simply because some people like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.