Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
The seller us gainsaver which doesnt have a great reputation but maybe they work and might be jail-breakable. Used atv2 are going for more than $100 on ebay. Think its worh taking a chance?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
If it has the latest software, and I suspect it does at that price, I'd leave it alone. The reason the older ones are fetching high prices is they can be Jailbroken IF they are running the older software.

I don't jailbreak my own devices so am not really that well up on it, but that's the reason for the price.

OP: I think that one has probably been updated, so if jail breaking was your plan, I'd look elsewhere.

Wreckie

macrumors regular
May 9, 2011
What about Apple TV 1st generation 160GB version for 40USD? Looks like new, but is used.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
I don't understand why you would buy a used one from ebay when you can buy a brand new one for $20 more dollars

The atv 2 is jail breakable, the atv3 isnt as yet and It may take a while for an untethered version to be jail breakable. I have a jail broken atv 2 and it is amazing in terms if the content i get. Thats why.

----------

If it has the latest software, and I suspect it does at that price, I'd leave it alone. The reason the older ones are fetching high prices is they can be Jailbroken IF they are running the older software.

I don't jailbreak my own devices so am not really that well up on it, but that's the reason for the price.

OP: I think that one has probably been updated, so if jail breaking was your plan, I'd look elsewhere.

I went ahead and ordered. I actually git it fir $62.50. It hasnt arrived yet so i dont kniw the firmware version but i do know the serial number and it was produced in april 2011 so it mught have the earlier firmware. If not i could always do a tethered jailbreak or just use it stock or resell it. From what i gather the atv 3 is no better than the atv2 in terms if picture quality. And some people have had problems with it. For under one hundred dollars its no big deal. But a jailbroken atv is amazing in terms of all the free content.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The atv 2 is jail breakable, the atv3 isnt as yet and It may take a while for an untethered version to be jail breakable. I have a jail broken atv 2 and it is amazing in terms if the content i get. Thats why.

Unless it was jailbroken before and you can get the SHSHs, the ATV2 won;t be jailbreakable since Apple is no longer signing anything but the lastest firmware.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Unless it was jailbroken before and you can get the SHSHs, the ATV2 won;t be jailbreakable since Apple is no longer signing anything but the lastest firmware.

Im hoping it might never have been updated to 5.1. If its still in the 4s im in good shape for a jailbreak.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Im hoping it might never have been updated to 5.1. If its still in the 4s im in good shape for a jailbreak.

As part of the jailbreak process you need to reflash the firmware, even if it is still at old firmware you can't currently jailbreak it, all you can do is tethered Jailbreak the current firmware

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
As part of the jailbreak process you need to reflash the firmware, even if it is still at old firmware you can't currently jailbreak it, all you can do is tethered Jailbreak the current firmware

Isnt it possible for tinyumbrella to save itfir jailbreak?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Isnt it possible for tinyumbrella to save itfir jailbreak?

TU will save whatever Apple is signing (or will download whatever Cydia had on its server, if the ATV was jailbroken before). TU won't be able to save anything but the most current firmware at this point.(which is what apple is signing).

So as I said, even if the ATV you got is on an older firmware, all you can do to Jailbreak is upgrade and use the tethered JB, nothing else.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Some of the stores in my area are still selling brand new ATV2s for $79.99. I thought about buying one, but it isn't worth it since I can't jailbreak them.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
:rolleyes:

Already answered that on post #11

Doesnt say which stires and how does he know why he cant update:rolleyes:

----------

I second that...what stores and you can still tether jailbreak..right?

Most likely can tether. Its a PITA but gets the same results. I bough another fully untethered off ebay for another room. If the gainsaver is a flop ill sell it.

swindmiller

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
Just won a Gen2 off Ebay for $100...don't know what version it is though...probably 5.1 but I can still tether right?
Same price as a Gen3 but can do so much more from what I am reading.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Mine just arrived. It is 4.2.2 (2203). For some reason the power cord is too tight and wont fit in the unit. I've emailed them. But i used the cord from my other atv2 and the used one wirks fine. Is it possible to get an untethered jailbreak or should i just update to the latest and do a tether. If i do tether what is quckest and fastest way?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Doesnt say which stires and how does he know why he cant update:rolleyes:

The store is called Fred Meyers. I think they're called Krogers an Smiths in other parts of the country. Last time i stopped by the local one, they had 2.

And yeah, you can do a tethered jailbreak, but last time I checked XMBC wasn't working.

swindmiller

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
Glad it works..kind of...hope you get the power cord. I was all worried as to which version of the software it came with but after re-reading it looks like it does not matter...will most likely be tethered until they release a new one.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Glad it works..kind of...hope you get the power cord. I was all worried as to which version of the software it came with but after re-reading it looks like it does not matter...will most likely be tethered until they release a new one.

Agreed. I think i'llgo ahead and update the software from 4.2.2 which doesnt allow streaming from ipad to the latest. Then will wait until they get the untether working. I bought on ebay another fully untethered 4.4.4 loaded for $150. Its new he just opened it to jailbreak.

swindmiller

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
Agreed. I think i'llgo ahead and update the software from 4.2.2 which doesnt allow streaming from ipad to the latest. Then will wait until they get the untether working. I bought on ebay another fully untethered 4.4.4 loaded for $150. Its new he just opened it to jailbreak.

If I tether jailbreak and they come out with an untethered can I them apply that?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If I tether jailbreak and they come out with an untethered can I them apply that?

No once you tether you can't never ever go back.....:D

Just kidding around, yeah you can do anything, you can go back to stock, you can re run the tool and get untethered, you can do it from a fresh firmware... anything you heart may want. ;)

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I just tried to get a older atv and was amazed at the prices. I just wanted a cheaper one as I use it seldom. my atv1 just went to the apple gaveyard and I only use it once in awhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.