Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
Yes, but that depends on your definition of "works".
Well, if you want a card that works 100% get an Apple 5870, it's as simple as that really. ;)

Not to be rude, but for the low price of the 6870, nobody should complain about some small issues which can be solved mostly with modified ROMs or ATYinit, thanks to Netkas. But that's my opinion.

If you ask me the most important part, accelerated graphics in OS X, works great.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Well, if you want a card that works 100% get an Apple 5870, it's as simple as that really. ;)

Not to be rude, but for the low price of the 6870, nobody should complain about some small issues which can be solved mostly with modified ROMs or ATYinit, thanks to Netkas. But that's my opinion.

If you ask me the most important part, accelerated graphics in OS X, works great.

I agree with you, it works for the most part. If anything, it's really incredible how well it works!

But what isn't important to most people can be critically important to certain people. For example, Talino wants a boot screen but doesn't want to flash his card. In that case, it doesn't work.

Also, a new thread just popped up where someone wants to run four monitors on the 6870. As I recall, even with flashing, some of the outputs don't work, so that's not a viable solution for that person either.

I've even seen someone state that the 6970 "works". Technically true, but that's a pretty big exaggeration in my opinion.

The 6870 would certainly work for me. I'm only waiting to see what the 7000 series Mac cards are like and how they are priced. Might be a long wait.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
4 screens can be run from 6870, as long as you have 2 displays which accept MDP or DP. Must be real thing, no adapters unless active.

It is important to note that 6870s with only 1 @ DP or MDP can only run 3 screens at once...(just like a 5770 or 5870 from Apple)

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
4 screens can be run from 6870, as long as you have 2 displays which accept MDP or DP. Must be real thing, no adapters unless active.

It is important to note that 6870s with only 1 @ DP or MDP can only run 3 screens at once...(just like a 5770 or 5870 from Apple)

Actually I have an Apple 5770 on my MP 3,1 and it will only support two displays natively. I have one display connected to the only DVI port and another connected to the MDP, if I connect a third monitor to the second MDP I lose one of my other two displays.

Varmann

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2010
Actually I have an Apple 5770 on my MP 3,1 and it will only support two displays natively. I have one display connected to the only DVI port and another connected to the MDP, if I connect a third monitor to the second MDP I lose one of my other two displays.

Are you sure everything is ok?
I also have an Apple 5770. I got it to work with two displays (Dell 30" native MDP, old Sony 23", DVI) and a projector (MDP -> HDMI). With them on simultaneously it worked nicely.

But since I used to have the projector turned off most of the time, I got a lot of weird rearrangements of the desktops and windows. So now I have the projector on its own card (an old 2600).

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA

Re-read the first two sentences in my post.

You are either using passive MDP to DVI/VGA adapters or have a bad card. Apple 5770 runs 3 displays.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Re-read the first two sentences in my post.

You are either using passive MDP to DVI/VGA adapters or have a bad card. Apple 5770 runs 3 displays.

What is 'passive' MDP ?

Do I need to buy the more expensive MDP > DVI that looks like it comes with a small power brick and a USB cable?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
What is 'passive' MDP ?

Do I need to buy the more expensive MDP > DVI that looks like it comes with a small power brick and a USB cable?

From the AMD FAQ:
You can connect up to two non-DisplayPort monitors at one time to an AMD Eyefinity technology-enabled graphics card using non-DisplayPort connections or passive DisplayPort dongles. To enable and drive 3 or more non-DisplayPort monitors at one time, the additional non-DisplayPort monitors must be connected with an active DisplayPort dongle.

Passive dongles use the DisplayPort connection to receive non-DP signaling from the connector and they 'passively' adjust the signals to be compliant with the connected monitor. Passive dongles are considered legacy connections, not DisplayPort connections, therefore they do not fulfill the DisplayPort connection requirement mentioned previously and cannot be used to enable 3 or more displays. They do, however, offer an affordable solution to adapt legacy displays to DisplayPort connections.

Active dongles use true DisplayPort signaling to 'actively' translate and re-transmit the signals as the required outputs. Because they use the true DisplayPort signaling, they are considered a DisplayPort connection and meet the requirements to enable 3 or more displays.

DisplayPort to DL-DVI dongles require an external power supply which is usually through a separate USB connection (the USB connection must meet the USB 'high power' specification).

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I got the cable in the first link I posted and it didn't work.

How do you know if you need MDP > DVI for dual link or single link?

The cable I bought is for single link, when I connect it, one of my displays goes to sleep.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I got the cable in the first link I posted and it didn't work.

How do you know if you need MDP > DVI for dual link or single link?

The cable I bought is for single link, when I connect it, one of my displays goes to sleep.

Perhaps some more disclosure is needed.

Are you in fact using a real Apple card or is it flashed? I only ask because that adapter is DP not MDP.

If all 3 displays are in fact DVI (Legacy in AMD parlance) you may need to have 2 of them using active adapters.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Perhaps some more disclosure is needed.

Are you in fact using a real Apple card or is it flashed? I only ask because that adapter is DP not MDP.

If all 3 displays are in fact DVI (Legacy in AMD parlance) you may need to have 2 of them using active adapters.

My GPU is a legit Apple 5770, not a flashed PC card. All three monitors are Dell ST2320L LED 23" monitors with DVI connections. My confusion is between single and dual DVI connectors. The adapter I bought today is single active, but it doesn't work, so I need to know, do I need just one active dual link display port to DVI adapter, or two?

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada
Last edited:

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada
Search for "2x PCIe 6pin 6-pin Mac video card power cables Mac Pro G5" on ebay. Really cheap for the 2 cables we need.

Loa

Nice... thanks.

Hey this might be a dumb question, but the 4870 in the 4,1 mac pro has 2 power cords... any reason why these wouldn't be usable :p?

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Nice... thanks.

Hey this might be a dumb question, but the 4870 in the 4,1 mac pro has 2 power cords... any reason why these wouldn't be usable :p?

They should work, but I can't confirm. If they're 6pin to 6pin, they should.

Loa

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
Guys, I can't seem to figure out if this setup would work or not.

My current situation:
2009 Mac Pro (Lion) with unflashed XFX 6870 dual fan, 1 23" monitor connected to DVI.

I would like to use two 21.5" 1600x1200 monitors using both DVI ports, is this a setup that should work? Or do I need to connect one using DVI and the other one with an active mini-dp to single-link DVI adapter?

I don't have the monitors yet, so I can't test it. ;)

Thanks

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Guys, I can't seem to figure out if this setup would work or not.

My current situation:
2009 Mac Pro (Lion) with unflashed XFX 6870 dual fan, 1 23" monitor connected to DVI.

I would like to use two 21.5" 1600x1200 monitors using both DVI ports, is this a setup that should work? Or do I need to connect one using DVI and the other one with an active mini-dp to single-link DVI adapter?

I don't have the monitors yet, so I can't test it. ;)

Thanks

Second DVI port doesn't work.

You'd need a mDP to DVI adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.