Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
OK so Samsung has a new teaser ad out for their new Galaxy phone and of course they take a swipe Apple fans (in the form of sheep). This got me wondering, why is it just Apple fans to be considered 'sheeple' or part of a cult? If you buy a Samsung smartphone you're not a Samsung or Android sheeple, but if you buy an iPhone you are? I dont get it. What is the point of Samsung's obsession with Apple? Do they think they're going to win over iPhone customers by insulting them?

Yes I know Apple had the Mac v PC ads which one could argue made fun of Windows users. But based on market share that really was David vs Golliath. Can you really say that in the case of Samsung? Worldwide they sell more phones than Apple does; worldwide there are more phones running Android than iOS. Yes Apple dominates the smartphone market in terms of profit, but certainly not market share. Also I would argue people using iPhones are doing so moreso out of personal preference and choice than those who use Windows PC's (I know the only reason I use a Windows laptop is because of familiarity; it's the software I use at work every day). So this idea that iPhone users are a bunch of 'sheeple' who don't know any better doesn't wash with me. And it certainly doesn't make me interested in a Samsung Galaxy phone.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
You ask a question only a psychologist could answer....

psychology:

The scientific study of the human mind and its functions, esp. those affecting behavior in a given context.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You ask a question only a psychologist could answer....

psychology:

The scientific study of the human mind and its functions, esp. those affecting behavior in a given context.

Welcome to MacRumors. Lots of psychologists here.

The same could have been said about Apple years ago when they made the famous Big Brother ad about Microsoft. However, I don't think they were obsessed as the OP put it, any more than Samsung is obsessed with the iPhone.

fullygruntled

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Bella Vista

The same could have been said about Apple years ago when they made the famous Big Brother ad about Microsoft. However, I don't think they were obsessed as the OP put it, any more than Samsung is obsessed with the iPhone.

I laugh when I think of those old Big Brother ads. Except who is the Big Brother now? Apple?? Just maybe.

Reactions: stevekr

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Samsung would kill people for the cult-like following that Apple has. They would PAY MONEY to have it. That's a fact.

ai4281

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
I'm not offended by the commercials, but I find them misguided.

I don't think most Android users and iPhone users care about their platforms in the way that's portrayed by Samsung. It's just the vocal minority on either sides (fanboys) who pedantically compare specs and differences to claim superiority. It seems naive and misguided for Samsung to continually pander to this small group of people, thinking they may be winning over an audience.

Apple's Mac vs. PC commercials were done better than these Samsung commercials. The PC guy was lovable! And Apple wasn't taking shots at PC users; Samsung actively targets iPhone users more so than the iPhone itself in their commercials.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Samsung has a new teaser ad out for their new Galaxy phone and of course they take a swipe Apple fans (in the form of sheep).
How do you know the ad is specifically making fun of Apple fans? That's an assumption that YOU are making.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
How do you know the ad is specifically making fun of Apple fans? That's an assumption that YOU are making.
Oh please we all know any references to sheep are about Apple fans. Who else would they be referring to?

----------

Of course Samsung is obsessed with Apple. That's why they have ads that feature sheep and make fun of people standing in line (I doubt they're making fun of Microsoft or RIM here). That's why their head designer recently said someday they'll be as good as Apple & Jony Ive.

And as far as comparisons to the whole Mac v PC, no way is Apple the Microsoft of the phone market. More people buy Samsung devices than iPhones. Perhaps Samsung customers are the sheeple?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You'll only be offended if you consider yourself a sheep.

I use whatever smart phone my work gives me. It's currently an iPhone 4S.

Samsung isn't the only one that laughs at that behavior. Face it, if apple said they were going to start selling the new iPhone tomorrow without giving out a single spec there would be a line of "sheeple" around the building.

They aren't referring to iPhone owners but the behavior of a lot of them.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I don't think Samsungis trying to recruit die hard Apple fans with these ads. They're more after the casual user who looks at the ad and says "do I really want to be like one of THOSE people?" and decides to get the Samsung instead of the iPhone.

fullygruntled

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Bella Vista
Oh please we all know any references to sheep are about Apple fans. Who else would they be referring to?

----------

Of course Samsung is obsessed with Apple. That's why they have ads that feature sheep and make fun of people standing in line (I doubt they're making fun of Microsoft or RIM here). That's why their head designer recently said someday they'll be as good as Apple & Jony Ive.

Just like Apple used to be obsessed with Microsoft.

And as far as comparisons to the whole Mac v PC, no way is Apple the Microsoft of the phone market. More people buy Samsung devices than iPhones. Perhaps Samsung customers are the sheeple?

False. Android is on more phones but more IPhones are sold than Samsung. Saying Apple is not the perceived King of the smartphone market is crazy.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Because Apple attracts more elitists/blind followers than any other company.

This is probably, in part, due to having the highest market share (I'm talking individual phones here, not OSes).

Not trying to offend anybody. It's true. I'm a member of both Android and iOS communities, and the iOS ones have more people who are willing to defend iOS to the grave than Android does.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Because Apple attracts more elitists/blind followers than any other company.

This is probably, in part, due to having the highest market share (I'm talking individual phones here, not OSes).

Not trying to offend anybody. It's true. I'm a member of both Android and iOS communities, and the iOS ones have more people who are willing to defend iOS to the grave than Android does.

Elitists? That's a bit arrogant of you imho. I've been using Apple hardware since around 1979 or so and I don't consider myself elitist. I just use what I love.

Typically, it's the Apple hater that uses terms like elitist and sheeple and stuff like that, while they go on and on about how open and great Android is. That's just what I've noticed over the years.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Elitists? That's a bit arrogant of you imho. I've been using Apple hardware since around 1979 or so and I don't consider myself elitist. I just use what I love.

Typically, it's the Apple hater that uses terms like elitist and sheeple and stuff like that, while they go on and on about how open and great Android is. That's just what I've noticed over the years.

You like what you like and that's fine, that doesn't make you an elitist.

Elitists are the ones who don't know or care what the competition does because they're happy in their little bubble. Lots of people (this site is no exception) put down Android without knowing its capabilities. That kind of behaviour is elitist. If you know the benefits and pitfalls of each platform and make an informed choice, fine..but don't trash talk other platforms if you don't know much about them.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
You like what you like and that's fine, that doesn't make you an elitist.

Elitists are the ones who don't know or care what the competition does because they're happy in their little bubble. Lots of people (this site is no exception) put down Android without knowing its capabilities. That kind of behaviour is elitist. If you know the benefits and pitfalls of each platform and make an informed choice, fine..but don't trash talk other platforms if you don't know much about them.

I agree, you shouldn't trash talk something you haven't tried. The problem arises when people who have tried and subsequently trash talk something get accused of being "iSheep". It basically means that in the eyes of some people, it's not possible to dislike Android. You either like it, or you're an "iSheep" whose opinion doesn't matter anyway.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I agree, you shouldn't trash talk something you haven't tried. The problem arises when people who have tried and subsequently trash talk something get accused of being "iSheep". It basically means that in the eyes of some people, it's not possible to dislike Android. You either like it, or you're an "iSheep" whose opinion doesn't matter anyway.

Some people are like that yeah, it's a very stupid viewpoint.

I just take exception to when people are trying to put down something without actually knowing what it does.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Some people are like that yeah, it's a very stupid viewpoint.

I just take exception to when people are trying to put down something without actually knowing what it does.

You aren't to know what people do and don't know. As such, you just have to let these things slide and move on.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
This got me wondering, why is it just Apple fans to be considered 'sheeple' or part of a cult?

People that use these descriptions are often lonely guys fishing for reactions on internet forums, or bitter people that get angry because others enjoy using something that they don't like. Or want to like. Especially if it's something that's popular, like Apple's phones. So, I wouldn't take it too seriously. I mean, the Android following on phone forums is just as cult-like as far as I can see. And of course Samsung can make any ad they want. They copied the iphone and ipad, why not copy the ads as well, right? Too bad this particular ad is not very clever though.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MOD NOTE: Quick post just to remind everyone that while this topic can be discussed it is important to keep in mind the forum rule on insults and name-calling.

This is what you should not do:

Insults. Direct personal insult of another forum member (e.g., "You are an idiot.") and other name-calling. Why? Because this isn't grade school. People should be able to discuss or even dispute other's posts without insulting people. You may dispute somebody's opinion but not attack/flame the person who stated it. There are a lot of other non-direct-personal insults that won't necessary get you banned instantly, but depending on the context/nature may lead to post editing, post deletion, warnings, or time-outs. They include telling people to shut up and being extremely or repeatedly rude or sarcastic. It's not your place to tell other users they are not welcome; if they follow the rules, they are welcome. Bottom line -- don't try to tick off others and don't make discussions unnecessarily personal. If somebody else insults you, report their post; their post does not give you a license to break the rules by returning their insults. Although we do not read Private Messages sent between forum members, the rules for appropriate and inappropriate content apply to them as well.

Carry on.

B

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
People that use these descriptions are often lonely guys fishing for reactions on internet forums, or bitter people that get angry because others enjoy using something that they don't like. Or want to like. Especially if it's something that's popular, like Apple's phones. So, I wouldn't take it too seriously. I mean, the Android following on phone forums is just as cult-like as far as I can see. And of course Samsung can make any ad they want. They copied the iphone and ipad, why not copy the ads as well, right? Too bad this particular ad is not very clever though.

I'll certainly agree with you that the Android movement has reached cult like status now. What amuses me the most is how many of these people don't seem to realise the irony of their words as a result of this.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I'll certainly agree with you that the Android movement has reached cult like status now. What amuses me the most is how many of these people don't seem to realise the irony of their words as a result of this.

Irony, yep. Comparable to the Windows vs Mac thing. Die-hard users of the mediocre software Gates & Co have been crancking out for years, calling people that gave their choice of computer platform some actual thought sheep. Go figure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.