Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
London
This has never happened before to my 8 year old PowerBook G4.

I'm sure all you ODD killers out there will be chuckling to yourselves, but some of us (graphic designers) need to read client CDs with photos on... (and yes, I am well aware that this Mac is a piece of *****) Soooo unprofessional of me. Anyway...

All was working well this morning... I've read about five different CDs, then had a Finder freeze. It refreshed and relaunched all by itself, but now the CD icon has vanished from the desktop and will not eject. I've restarted twice, launched Disk Utility and all seems well. All the drive data is accessible.

Any ideas anyone?? :confused:

Thanks

STATS
Mac: PowerBook G4 15", Build 9L31a
Drive: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-816
Firmware Revision: DXJ3
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Here's some stuff you could try.

My money's on the Terminal command, but I've had that fail on me in the past too.

P.S. Why would your Powerbook be a POS? I have two 17" PBs (one which is older than yours) and I think they are way cool (or I wouldn't be here).

I'm a graphic designer too (I work for a newspaper). All our work is done on PowerPC based Macs (G5 and G4). PowerBooks and PowerMacs are all still very viable for design work.

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
London
Here's some stuff you could try.

My money's on the Terminal command, but I've had that fail on me in the past too.

P.S. Why would your Powerbook be a POS? I have two 17" PBs (one which is older than yours) and I think they are way cool (or I wouldn't be here).

I'm a graphic designer too (I work for a newspaper). All our work is done on PowerPC based Macs (G5 and G4). PowerBooks and PowerMacs are all still very viable for design work.

I fixed it. I just shut it down. :rolleyes: Then held the eject key down as it booted up... et voila. Simple.

I'm freelance now and some companies don't have enough Macs to go around.. tsch! So, I'm having to resort to using my old PB (Not much fun after using a twin quad-core MacPro with a 27" display for the last 4 months) but this baby just about copes with CS4.

Thanks for your help anyway. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.