Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haziza

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Sweden
It good to turn the iPad off for longer time while at work and things like that?

It good fir the battery, it should save a bit? Begin constantley on can't be good for anything? Or am I wrong.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
This is not a machine that is meant to be shut down every night, and certainly doesn't need to be unless you're having an issue with an app. You will see that it loses little to no charge over night when being left in standby mode.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
you're wrong....well, kinda....they're meant to be always-on devices...it doesn't use very much battery while in standby. if you'd really want to save battery, i'd rather just turn on Airplane mode rather than completely shutdown.

Haziza

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Sweden
I'm not worried about the battery drain, just the battery health it self.

How do the lion battery feel about begin turned off during night and work? Is it good for it over the long time or not?

I mean letting the battery rest sometimes should good?

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
I'm not worried about the battery drain, just the battery health it self.

How do the lion battery feel about begin turned off during night and work? Is it good for it over the long time or not?

I mean letting the battery rest sometimes should good?

I don't think that it drains that much if I let it with 20% the next day it stays at 20% so it shouldn't hurt, since the battery also depletes by itself. I think age is more unforgiving than letting the ipad in standby during the night.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
It was specifically designed to be powered on pretty much always. Don't worry about turning it off until you encounter an issue, then reboot and leave it on for another month or two.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Keep in mind that rechargeable batteries drain even when in storage, albeit very slowly. So there should be no benefit whatsoever to trying to "save" the battery by turning the device off. Besides, any wear and tear on a battery, if any, comes from charging moreso than using them.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It good to turn the iPad off for longer time while at work and things like that?

It good fir the battery, it should save a bit? Begin constantley on can't be good for anything? Or am I wrong.

There is zero benefit to powering down the iPad at night. When the iPad is asleep, the power drain is so low that even Apple says it'll last a month. The "wear" on the battery in sleep is so minimal that you'll never see any difference over the lifetime of the product.

I guarantee you stress other components more by powering it off then on daily. Not to mention changes in battery temperature during this process... You're probably better off leaving it on, come to think of it.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
I remember when the iPod Touch first came out, people were asking how long the touch screen would last.

As with most things Apple, the components will outlast your ability to resist purchasing a newer/upgraded model.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
There is little you can do to extend the life of the battery. It's cells are in a constant tailspin whether you use the battery or not, whether the iPad is shut down or sleeping. It's a system unto itself.

But the good news is that the battery will likely last longer than you own your iPad... at 1,000 full charges it still retains 80%. That means you'd have to do a full charge nearly every day for 3 years to get to the 80% level. Most people don't do a full charge every day. So just enjoy your iPad and stop sweating details out of your control. In 3 years something upgrade worthy will be around.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
There is little you can do to extend the life of the battery. It's cells are in a constant tailspin whether you use the battery or not, whether the iPad is shut down or sleeping. It's a system unto itself.

But the good news is that the battery will likely last longer than you own your iPad... at 1,000 full charges it still retains 80%. That means you'd have to do a full charge nearly every day for 3 years to get to the 80% level. Most people don't do a full charge every day. So just enjoy your iPad and stop sweating details out of your control. In 3 years something upgrade worthy will be around.

We have 2 original iPads in our household that are in regular daily use and get charged every 3 days or so (about 400 charge cycles). Battery life is still pretty spectacular (maybe 10% below "new").

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I want facts, no one on here know about batteries?

So you came here asking actual, experienced users advice only to then tell them you don't believe anything they say (even though they ALL agree)? Nice. Remind me not to waste my time again. :mad:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I want facts, no one on here know about batteries?

Are you being serious right now?

We have all owned iPads. We have all left them on overnight almost every night. It has almost zero affect on the battery.

When the day comes that you need a new battery, if you don't have a newer iPad by then, Apple charges a small fee and gives you a whole different iPad in lieu of a battery replacement.

There is literally no real benefit to turning an iPad off when you're not using it.

Haziza

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Sweden
So everything you read on the forums is 100%? Hahahaha. Get real. Geif facts!

Just because some in here never turn it off, it doesn't mean it's right rofl. What ever I will seek answers in better forums in this question.

Last edited by a moderator:

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
So everything you read on the forums is 100%?

Yet you decided to ask this on a forum? Haha get a grip and do what the hell you want with your iPad. You asked and people gave you their opinions now shove off loser.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008

If you really don't believe those who've posted, you can always call Apple Support and ask them for their facts. Probably a better bet than insulting folks who offered their opinions and tried to help you.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Just because some in here never turn it off, it doesn't mean it's right rofl. What ever I will seek answers in better forums in this question.

I guess people just don't have to respond to this thread anymore. Op's attitude is unbearable.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The funniest part is that I think someone DID offer him the "facts" from Apple's website and someone else gave a very extensive link on how batteries work.

All this over something he doesn't even need to worry about........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.