Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Wrong... It can't match on hardware, battery capacity, trackpad, screen quality, weight, size, thunderbolt, etc etc.

Macs are about the hardware, OSX is just a bonus and is not significantly better or worse than Windows.

Macs are about hardware? Are you sure? My friends ASUS with the same price as my 13" bought during the same time is better in hardware quality. I think Mac is about the software. OSX is just amazing. Its revolutionary. Apple's hardware for computeres? So so.

Maybe youre right about the batt capacity and track pad and weight, and soon enough, thunderbolt is coming to all ivy bridge laptops!

Shanekarpi251

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
MN
Macbook is better in my opinion because you can do everything on them that you can with a Windows PC. I've got Windows installed on my mac for those few things ya can't do on OSX and whatever else ya like to do on windows. I think it's a great value to be able to use both operating systems on one machine. Also like other people had been saying the build quality also feels more solid than those plastic machines HP, Dell, etc make. I'm not saying those other machines aren't quality but I guess its just my preference. Yes a mac is more expensive but its definitely a worthy investment! I highly recommend trying one out for yourself!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
My question is, why is a MacBook better, than say an ultra book?
Subjective as is any question of "better" on any topic despite assertions made by some of the prior posts. Note how everyone doesn't agree exactly with each other. If you want feedback on why it might or might not suit you then you need to spell out your needs/wants. This isn't a one-size-fits-all matter or else everyone would use a Macbook. IMO the best way to answer you question is to spend some time using one. You can't beat first hand experience for assessing such things.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Macs are about hardware? Are you sure? My friends ASUS with the same price as my 13" bought during the same time is better in hardware quality. I think Mac is about the software. OSX is just amazing. Its revolutionary. Apple's hardware for computeres? So so.

Maybe youre right about the batt capacity and track pad and weight, and soon enough, thunderbolt is coming to all ivy bridge laptops!

Your friend's Asus probably has worse WiFi performance, far worse build quality (plastic). It doesn't have a great charging mechanism like MagSafe. It's keyboard quality is probably lower and not backlit. It's trackpad is probably purely useless. Its screen is most definitely horrible in comparison.

I've bought enough laptops in my life (probably go through 2 a year) to never have to bother with a non-Apple laptop again.

It has nothing to do with OSX. I run Windows on my iMac quite often when I'm in the mood for games. I would run Windows on the Macbook Pro more often but Windows power management means lower battery life.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I never actually thought of that, will do that now thanks

If there's an Apple store near you, check it out there. Just try to be objective about it.

For me I would say the build quality of the computer is much better than a Dell, HP, or any of PC manufacture. When you pick the computer up it feels like it is made of high quality parts. Not just plastic. Plus it looks like a piece of art.

The screen is one of the best screens on the market. Considering you look at the screen 100% of the time, having a nice screen is important to me. The keys are very nice to type on and the touch pad is very well done.

OSX is not as great as the last poster said. I personally don't own a MBP for OSX. I run windows 7 on mine. :)

Dell and some of the others aren't really bad at the upper end of their hardware. It's usually their budget models that suck, and Apple has nothing in an equivalent price range. The screen is a decent implementation, but it's not really that special. They still use TN panels because they're cost effective. I'm not going into the topic of color reproduction, because it's too time consuming and no one on here seems to understand the topic. The uniformity on recent ones seems to be pretty decent.

Wrong... It can't match on hardware, battery capacity, trackpad, screen quality, weight, size, thunderbolt, etc etc.

Macs are about the hardware, OSX is just a bonus and is not significantly better or worse than Windows.

Once again if you compare it to the best the other oems have to offer, it's a bit different. Usually on here I see the 15" macbook pro compared to laptops that cost half as much, even if the other brand has better models than the ones chosen for reference. Since it's an Apple enthusiast site, the assumption is that if money is no objective, you go with a Mac, but that's a terrible way to make an objective comparison. Apple hardware has given me problems just like other computers.

Your friend's Asus probably has worse WiFi performance, far worse build quality (plastic). It doesn't have a great charging mechanism like MagSafe. It's keyboard quality is probably lower and not backlit. It's trackpad is probably purely useless. Its screen is most definitely horrible in comparison.

You make too many assumptions without even asking what he owns or if it works well for him. This is just a weird concept that everything without an Apple logo is a piece of crap. There are things I really like about the macbooks, but they are not infallible machines.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
I love my MBP. You'll be really happy with the 13" for me the best features are the form factor of the 13" and the OS. OSX is just perfect, it simply works all the time. Your programs don't freeze, your never having to constantly hit ctrl alt delete, and virus practically don't exist. Another big plus is the Mac App store, it has everything you want. If you want a program you just go to the App store and buy it, no trips to best buy. The reliability is really second to none, and Apple backs it up with the year of Applecare they throw in. I highly recommend you put 8GB of RAM in and an SSD. I put in the RAM and an Intel 520 SSD and now my computer is just stupid fast, I can't imagine ever using another machine again. The only downside is the addiction that comes with Apple. I first bought an iMac to replace my dead desktop, then sold my brand new vaio and bought a MBP and MBA, then I had to have a time capsule, then an Apple TV 2, then I needed a Thunderbolt display for my MBP and it goes on and on. Basically be prepared to open your wallet, Apple doesn't come on the cheap, but its worth every damn penny. Good luck waiting, and enjoy!

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
The MBP is a very nice machine. The hardware is solid, the built quality is excellent.

We got our first MPB in 2008 when I got tired of playing IT guy in the house. Today we've got the 2008 MPB (son), 2 x 2012 MBP's (mine and wife) and a 2012 iMac (daughter) in the house - the only Windows I run are in VMs as I need to demo stuff which runs on Windows.

OSX is a great O/S, and being that I've been a unix guy since the mid 80s I truly appreciate not having the headaches which accompany Microsoft Windows. Why should Windows users have to purchase antivirus software - the O/S manufacturer should provide it IMNSHO.

It all comes down to personal preference. If you prefer an ultrabook, by all means get yourself an ultrabook.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Hi all,
New to the forum, never had a mac before, planning to take the plunge when the redesign comes out in (potentially) June.
Thanks

I would go along with all the comment in thekev's post. But just to add, to say which one is better depends on you're requirements and what you're planning to do with your next unit. My preference is OSX but I do occasionally have to use Windoze which doesn't bother me. OSX does come with its own little quirks and problems but rarely any of them are showstoppers.

The one outstanding thing with Apple in my experience is the high level of customer service in the stores. I've had 3 problems with my MBP in just over 2yrs (& believe me, I do look after all my gear) and each time, they've fixed it there and then. No fuss or anything, just very, very efficient.

If you're a student in Belfast, you should be able to get a discount depending on the level of education you're at. Apple also throw in a 3yr complementary warranty (1yr phone support) for UK HE students. </salesPitch>

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?

I've bought enough laptops in my life (probably go through 2 a year) to never have to bother with a non-Apple laptop again.

It has nothing to do with OSX. I run Windows on my iMac quite often when I'm in the mood for games. I would run Windows on the Macbook Pro more often but Windows power management means lower battery life.

But what about whats inside? He got a quad core i5 with a better gpu than my core 2 duo and 320m gpu for about the same price. Sure i have to agree with you the build quality of a mac is the best you could get out there. And every point you pointed out was pretty much true. But my point is, hardware, inside, not the build quality.

Now i may not have gone through as many laptops as you do but i understand your point.

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
because the simplicity, damm good quiality, looks beautifull, feels great, os x and a great company support! what else could you ask ? :D

Otumelty

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Belfast
I think I'll have to just treat myself, borrowing my uncles late 2011 pro to see how it feels, and bigjobby, I get it for 860 instead of 999 :)

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
But what about whats inside? He got a quad core i5 with a better gpu than my core 2 duo and 320m gpu for about the same price. Sure i have to agree with you the build quality of a mac is the best you could get out there. And every point you pointed out was pretty much true. But my point is, hardware, inside, not the build quality.

Now i may not have gone through as many laptops as you do but i understand your point.

That Quad Core i5 - $100 bucks from Intel
That 320M GPU - $50 from Nvidia?

Hardware inside is cheap. Consumers are the easiest to fool. Can I sell you a 15 megapixel camera too?

----------

If there's an Apple store near you, check it out there. Just try to be objective about it.

Dell and some of the others aren't really bad at the upper end of their hardware. It's usually their budget models that suck, and Apple has nothing in an equivalent price range. The screen is a decent implementation, but it's not really that special. They still use TN panels because they're cost effective. I'm not going into the topic of color reproduction, because it's too time consuming and no one on here seems to understand the topic. The uniformity on recent ones seems to be pretty decent.

Once again if you compare it to the best the other oems have to offer, it's a bit different. Usually on here I see the 15" macbook pro compared to laptops that cost half as much, even if the other brand has better models than the ones chosen for reference. Since it's an Apple enthusiast site, the assumption is that if money is no objective, you go with a Mac, but that's a terrible way to make an objective comparison. Apple hardware has given me problems just like other computers.

You make too many assumptions without even asking what he owns or if it works well for him. This is just a weird concept that everything without an Apple logo is a piece of crap. There are things I really like about the macbooks, but they are not infallible machines.

A Macbook Pro 15" competitor... simply... Does NOT exist.

If it did, I would know about it.

Give me a well built Windows machine that lasts as long as battery, is just as great in mobile, power, trackpad etc and I would buy it over an Apple machine any day.

They. Don't. Exist.

Hell, if Alienware decides to go Magnesium, half their size and weight while keeping power and screen size, I might even consider one of those.

kooskoos1814

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
Why MacBooks are the best ?

- Trackpad and keyboard (by far)

- Battery life (especially on the 13'' Pro and Air) if you consider the size and weight (Lenovos are great, but much bulkier and heavier)

- Screen

- Build quality

- OS X (If you know how to use some Linux distros you can have something very similar too though, but it's not working "out of the box")

marnuc

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
Guayaquil, Ecuador
I have been using mac since 1996, when my famliy got a beige machine for everyone, since then I have been a mac fan, but just recently bought my first macbook pro (early 2011), I can say this is a workhorse, you have bootcamp, which works better and looks better than most pc laptops, I have played everygame and all run perfect. Also the trackpad and macosx are just amazing, everything fits together, I think the money is well spend with a MBP.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
- the trackpad actually works
- the screen quality is excellent
- the keyboard is excellent
- the case is very sturdy and made of aluminium, so it won't look like crap after a few weeks of use (discolouration, etc)
- if you go glossy, the screen is covered in glass and easy to clean (my reason for sticking with glossy hires vs matte)
- it runs OS X

roofz

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2012
Southern California
If you're a student in Belfast, you should be able to get a discount depending on the level of education you're at. Apple also throw in a 3yr complementary warranty (1yr phone support) for UK HE students. </salesPitch>

Just had to throw this in... the 3 year warranty you're getting is not complimentary, but is just applecare smuggled into the outrageous prices you're paying in the uk :cool:

A Macbook Pro 15" competitor... simply... Does NOT exist.

HP Envy 15".

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Just had to throw this in... the 3 year warranty you're getting is not complimentary, but is just applecare smuggled into the outrageous prices you're paying in the uk :cool:

Disagree. Only UK HE students are entitled to the complimentary 3-year warranty with their discounted unit.

The standard rip-off UK purchases only come with a 1-year warranty. In this case, a double-shaft.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi all,
New to the forum, never had a mac before, planning to take the plunge when the redesign comes out in (potentially) June.
Thanks

Wouldn't it be more apt to compare an ultrabook to a MBA, considering the former all but blatantly copied the air? Slim form factors made possible by ditching the ODD, as well as the use of SSDs for speed and power conservation.

IMO, the macbook pro is in sore need of an update. I find its specs quite anemic, hardly deserving of the pro tag.

Simply put, the air was the original, and is still the best. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.