Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced its long-awaited Google Drive cloud storage service, providing users with 5GB of free storage integrated with Google Docs and other Google services.

Today, we're introducing Google Drive--a place where you can create, share, collaborate, and keep all of your stuff. Whether you're working with a friend on a joint research project, planning a wedding with your fiancé or tracking a budget with roommates, you can do it in Drive. You can upload and access all of your files, including videos, photos, Google Docs, PDFs and beyond.
Beyond the free 5GB level, Google offers several levels of paid storage up to 16 TB, all accessible via Google Docs or through clients for PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices -- though the iOS app has yet to be released, Google promises it is "coming soon". One of the biggest features in Drive is the ability to open more than 30 different file types directly in the browser, allowing users without programs like Illustrator and Photoshop to open up files and see what's inside. The service includes extensive sharing and collaboration features, as well.

google_drive_collage.jpg

The launch of Google Drive comes as several other cloud storage services have augmented their services in recent days. Microsoft's SkyDrive, which offers users 7GB of free cloud storage, yesterday updated its offering with an updated iOS app [Direct Link] and a preview client for OS X Lion, which allows users to manage their SkyDrive accounts directly from the Finder. Finally, Dropbox extended its file storage service with the ability to quickly share files stored on Dropbox with anyone, simply by creating a link.

Article Link: Google Launches Google Drive Cloud Storage Service

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
Dropbox still needs a "read only" share option

I use and like Dropbox: it's robust and works well, but ...

When I share an individual file by publishing it's URL (copy link) to someone, when they open a file, like a video, on Mac, it plays the video. If they don't have QT Pro, they can't download it. I often want to share videos (my own, nothing copyrighted by others), and Dropbox makes that more difficult. I supposed I could just ZIP the video first, as iDisk does, but that's yet another step. They should deal with this issue.

Second, if I share a folder, there are two issues:
1. When someone else attached to it, we BOTH pay for the storage used - Dropbox counts the same bits twice. So, if I share a folder, then one of my sharees decides to move a bunch of c**p into into it because he's not a computer nerd like me, I go above my quota and have to tell him to get that stuff away. There's no way to restrict access (see #2)

Maybe that's OK if we both have read/write/delete access to the files ... but ...

2. Often files just disappear from my shared folders. Why? Because the most common use of these shared files if for people to drag them onto their hard drives for whatever reasons. And on Mac, that's a "move" not a "copy." So the file vanishes from Dropbox.

So I spend time warning my users not to do that, etc. What Dropbox needs is folder access types: full sharing for collaboration, partial sharing (read/write/delete, but not ADD files); and read only sharing (users can copy the files if they want, but can't make any changes)

iDisk was slower, but I could accomplish those goals easily enough.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

When I share an individual file by publishing it's URL (copy link) to someone, when they open a file, like a video, on Mac, it plays the video. If they don't have QT Pro, they can't download it. I often want to share videos (my own, nothing copyrighted by others), and Dropbox makes that more difficult. I supposed I could just ZIP the video first, as iDisk does, but that's yet another step. They should deal with this issue.

1. When someone else attached to it, we BOTH pay for the storage used - Dropbox counts the same bits twice. So, if I share a folder, then one of my sharees decides to move a bunch of c**p into into it because he's not a computer nerd like me, I go above my quota and have to tell him to get that stuff away. There's no way to restrict access (see #2)

Maybe that's OK if we both have read/write/delete access to the files ... but ...

2. Often files just disappear from my shared folders. Why? Because the most common use of these shared files if for people to drag them onto their hard drives for whatever reasons. And on Mac, that's a "move" not a "copy." So the file vanishes from Dropbox.

So I spend time warning my users not to do that, etc. What Dropbox needs is folder access types: full sharing for collaboration, partial sharing (read/write/delete, but not ADD files); and read only sharing (users can copy the files if they want, but can't make any changes)

Personal experience with dropbox, have implemented on all pcs & macs in the office. Works like a charm & beats building a server for common files access.

One setback is two people having the same file open at once, but I guess that it is the same should it involve a server disk.

would like to add, that dragging a file out of dropbox on either mac or pc environment, it still moves the file, does not copy it (unless dropbox is set on a secondary disk)

skoops

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
Google also silently discontinued the old "Google Storage" plans. The $5 for 20GB/year plan is gone, it has been replaced by a 25GB option for $2.49 PER MONTH! Thats a ~6-fold increase in pricing

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.

I think you're in the wrong thread.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I use Dropbox and SkyDrive. Google knows enough about me, the last thing they'll ever get is my files although I do keep a copy of my music library with Match.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Does anyone know how to change the language? I have looked through every single setting I can find in Google and changed it all to English, but it still shows the bloody page in Dutch. I'm guessing it's because I'm in Brussels at the moment, but there must be a way to see the page in English, or at least in French?

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
And of course, iCloud will guide some of us to other services ...

With the demise if iDisk and iWeb, those of us who used those services need to find other Cloud storage for miscellaneous files and for personal web hosting.

Since it appears that Microsoft and Google sense a demand for these services, we get to at least explore Apple biggest rivals offerings - not a great move on Apple's part imho.

And once we start looking about the web hosting services (iWeb still works for small web project, like personal pages for non-techies, or even for techies who just want something simple and wysiwyg, we also explore other cloud offering from the likes of godaddy, networksolutions, etc.

One of Apple's great strengths was as a solution provider for many consumers: MobileMe was not perfect, but for many regular, non-geek folks, it had everything in one place for one price; iCloud wants to be that as well, but two significant services were removed. Photo sharing is not web hosting, and backup is not iDisk.

Oh well, since I don't run Apple, I guess I'll search around for other alternatives.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
As soon as Google Drive went live I went to the site. It said my drive was not ready yet, giving me an invitation to be notified when it's available.

After watching the video I'm eager to use it.

Having used Dropbox since it went live & really enjoying it, I've tried all other free cloud services as they've been rolled out. As expected each of them has their Pro's & Cons.

So far I like Dropbox best, then Sky Drive, lastly iCloud.

Google Drive appears to have many features, but first I need to experience it first hand.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
I have to admit, I kind of agree with Steve Jobs when he told Dropbox that their problem is that this is more of a feature than an actual standalone product. When big companies start to enter the game, now Microsoft and Google, they will be a major threat for Dropbox. Add to that Apple that probably will come back with a similar functionality for iCloud (and hoping it will work better than iDisk), Dropbox will have to reinvent itself.

However, I use Dropbox and I really love it. But if Google offer me same functionality and cheaper expansion possibility. (Dropbox doesn't offer anything below 10$ a month, 10$ for 50GB) Google offer 25GB for 2.50$ a month, or 100GB for 5$ a Month, I will really consider switching.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Why that bottom picture show 2 windows from a OS X and an Android tablet? That doesn`t match well. :p

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Meh

No interest in the product itself, but if it compels Dropbox to lower their prices in the future, that can't hurt….

phigment

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Box.com does all of this already, with none of the cons listed by the dropbox user. You can set permissions so that certain users can only view, download, edt, etc.... nobody will be deleting data from your shared folders unless you permit them to. Box.com for the win.

cococo

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
I have my Doc in DROPBOX, all pictures in SkyDrive 25GB, and now Google Drive 5GB...nothing left I can put into there. There are also BOX and more cloud storage in the market.

DROPBOX is pretty much dominating the cloud service of most users because their multiple platforms, PC, MAC, iPhone works so well and I have no complaint.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I really hope Apple comes out with a file system in the cloud. iCloud is not complete without this feature.

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
WebDAV

if this has WebDAV support then I'll use it. Otherwise I'll stick with my 10.5gb of free dropbox space.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I love the idea of being able to view my photoshop files without having PS on the computer!
I don't like the thought of reuploading my 40GB though... so I'll probably stick with DropBox. Hopefully this'll finally get them to lower their prices!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Google also silently discontinued the old "Google Storage" plans. The $5 for 20GB/year plan is gone, it has been replaced by a 25GB option for $2.49 PER MONTH! Thats a ~6-fold increase in pricing

Google has learned from watching Apple, yet they'll be hard pressed to generate the massive profits Apple does. One of the best assests Apple has is it's cult like user group. They'll always choose Apple, in some cases without even thinking.

Steve Jobs greatest achievement was creating this unique following of rabid fans.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Why stop using the service I'm already using (whether it's Dropbox/SkyDrive/SugarSync/SpiderOak) and switch to this?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I use Box, Dropbox, and Skydrive. Not sure which two I am going to get rid of, but I may keep all three. I hate the interface of Dropbox on the iPad. The new Skydrive update from Microsoft is pretty nice on it.

jstoltz

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
It's disappointing that standard google apps accounts can't upgrade the amount of storage unless they also upgrade to a business account.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Apple is out of the cloud party with the half baked "storage" feature of icloud that doesn't work... After all this talk about data centers, and cloud, and this and that, they have delivered a very mediocre service, worse even than their own mm in terms of its power (no keychain sync, no idisk) albeit not as horribly buggy and dysfunctional. I guess when your product doesn't do much to begin with it can be that buggy.

Do you want to give Google even more of your information? If you do this is great

Very good point, but unfortunately apple is making it easy for them.

iDisk was the single buggiest piece of **** product I have ever used, third party apps made it half work, but in the finder it was as frustrating a user experience as it can be. No wonder SJ joked you gonna trust us with icloud when we brought you mobileme?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.