Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Carrier are You with?

• Straight Talk

Votes: 46 7.8%
  • AT&T

Votes: 266 45.2%
  • H2O Wireless

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Sprint

Votes: 53 9.0%
  • Verizon

Votes: 128 21.7%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 74 12.6%
  • Simple Mobile

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Red Pocket Mobile

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • GoSmart Mobile

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Net 10

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Virgin Mobile USA

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Cricket Wireless

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Spot Mobile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walmart Family Mobile

• Ultra Mobile

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Platinum Tel (Ptel)

• Lyca Mobile

• Solavei

• Total voters

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Nice summary. I'm paying $64/month to AT&T right now (450 minute plan plus data with a FAN discount) for my iPhone 3GS. I'm seriously considering switching to Straight Talk. There are 2 reasons I'm delaying:

1. I'll probably be ready to upgrade on the next iPhone release.
2. I still have an unlimited data plan on AT&T. I leave AT&T and there's no getting that back.

With those two things, it's a better deal to stay on AT&T. The big reason ST is so cheap is that it doesn't have a device subsidy.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
With those two things, it's a better deal to stay on AT&T. The big reason ST is so cheap is that it doesn't have a device subsidy.

Ya then why doesn't AT&T offer the cheap plans to people who have their own phones? Even if u buy it out at full price they still charge up the a**...buy yes the unlimited data plan is definitely a bonus I can't argue about that.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
AT&T just pulled another dumb move....Disallowing Paygo customers from purchasing Data plans unless they are on their $25 or $50 plan....meaning to get 1GB data you will pay $50-$75 now plus applicable tax.......It was a great solution for the times I am in the states only for a week or two rather than paying $45 to straight talk....but now even thats not a option. I Guess ill have to get a T-Mobile sim as my back up now.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Ya then why doesn't AT&T offer the cheap plans to people who have their own phones? Even if u buy it out at full price they still charge up the a**...buy yes the unlimited data plan is definitely a bonus I can't argue about that.

I think they should offer some sort of incentive if you sign a two-year and BYOD. But unfortunately, they don't. What would be really cool is if you could pool upgrades together, and keep them in a pot, and get the latest phone for free on one line, by using two upgrades worth, if that makes any sense.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Only Tmobile discounts their monthly plans if u buy phone without discount or bring your own. ATT doesn't care about its customers to offer this service. ATT is what you refer to as "too big to fail and too big to care". Eventually there will be change as more and more people switch to prepaid models. I recently made the switch as Sprint started screwing customers as soon as iphone came into play. I was with sprint for 10 years and things were good. Now ETF went up to $350, stupid $10 premium data charge, adjustments to corp. discounts and horrible degradation of service forced me to switch. I was paying $135 a month for 2 lines and was about to upgrade my wife's phone to 4s which would have increased my monthly payment. I started researching and read up about straight talk. Ordered sim cards to test out and it turns out that service is really good in NYC. Ported my numbers over from sprint and got 3 months prepaid service for both of my lines. Total cost per month is $90 including NY taxes. Can't complain about that.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
ya AT&T is a rip off...its better to get on with Straight Talk, H2O or RedRocket and get more for your money

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
The plans look good, except for the fact that none of them offer unlimited data. I get unlimited with at&t and pay about $56 (fan discount) for 450 mins+data. Texting is taken care of by google voice and I barely use my minutes, so my plan works best for me.
JOOC, is straight talk a wal mart company?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
The plans look good, except for the fact that none of them offer unlimited data. I get unlimited with at&t and pay about $56 (fan discount) for 450 mins+data. Texting is taken care of by google voice and I barely use my minutes, so my plan works best for me.
JOOC, is straight talk a wal mart company?

thats great but the unlimited option has been off the charts for long time so these plans are the "Best Alternatives" to those who are paying HIGH PRICES.

Also Straight Talk is owned by Tracfone which also owns Net10.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Red Pocket is awesome, had it for nearly a month 0 complaints. I use a ton of minutes/texts and a decent amount of data and no issues as of yet, and best of all I get the AT&T network, my phone is actually faster with Red Pocket than it was on AT&T. Mind you I changed the carrier name to AT&T as Red Pocket was huge lol, also changed the 3G symbol to 4G.

27y8tu8.png

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I was pointing out why these plans aren't a viable alternative for me, but I understand your point.
That's a relief about straight talk. If I ever decided to leave at&t, these options would definitely be worth considering.
thats great but the unlimited option has been off the charts for long time so these plans are the "Best Alternatives" to those who are paying HIGH PRICES.

Also Straight Talk is owned by Tracfone which also owns Net10.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Through Straight Talk can you send videos or is it just pictures?

I have straight talk and I'm able to send MMS after I did the MMS settings via the swap SIM method without need to be jailbroken. I have a factory unlocked 4S, but I'm saving monie by having done the switch from AT&T to straight talk.

PS: search on other forums about this swap SIM method to change MMS settings.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Red Pocket is awesome, had it for nearly a month 0 complaints. I use a ton of minutes/texts and a decent amount of data and no issues as of yet, and best of all I get the AT&T network, my phone is actually faster with Red Pocket than it was on AT&T. Mind you I changed the carrier name to AT&T as Red Pocket was huge lol, also changed the 3G symbol to 4G.

Thats great! Speeds are around that with Straight Talk and H2O as well.

Sheepszies

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
@ Satnam1989:

I see your location is Toronto. Do you know if a Fido Iphone needs to be unlocked to run Straight Talk?

Just moved to New York from Montreal - trying to figure out how to get a cell phone for a reasonable price (I pay $60/month with Fido for unlimited talk/text + 6Gb of 3G)

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
@ Satnam1989:

I see your location is Toronto. Do you know if a Fido Iphone needs to be unlocked to run Straight Talk?

Just moved to New York from Montreal - trying to figure out how to get a cell phone for a reasonable price (I pay $60/month with Fido for unlimited talk/text + 6Gb of 3G)

Yes it does, Your iPhone must be unlocked to Run Straight Talk....I would suggest if you are with FIDO and your iPhone is from FIDO you may first try to get them to help you unlock it, they may do it for you....if not then there is Gevey SIM for iPhone 4S....and older baseband iPhone 4....or you can sell your iPhone in Canada(montreal kijiji) and pick your self up a iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S for around $300-$450 on Craigslist in NY locked to AT&T.....

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Anyone know how to edit a poll? I would like to add "Red Rocket" to the list but I can't seem to figure out how to do so...

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Those of you getting excited about Prepaid coming to Virgin & Cricket Wireless.....well these prepaid options listed in this post have been available for quiet some time now >1year

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Red Pocket has changed their $39.99 monthly plan, it now includes 25mb of data instead of 10mb.

Thanks, post updated, It seems those to companies just can't offer anything that's truly an amazing option like straight talk...instead they keep fighting with each other over MB's to GB's lol....

PS those that are on Red Rocket Mobile I have gotten the option added to the Poll so if you couldn't vote before do so now:)

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
Since Verizon is introducing their new plans this looks like a great alternative. My wife and I both have iPhone 4S's with unlimited data on both lines. If we wish to keep the unlimited data we are forced to pay the full unsubsidized price for the phone. If we are forced to pay the full price we may as well buy a factory unlocked new iPhone and move to straight talk and save $30 a month.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Since Verizon is introducing their new plans this looks like a great alternative. My wife and I both have iPhone 4S's with unlimited data on both lines. If we wish to keep the unlimited data we are forced to pay the full unsubsidized price for the phone. If we are forced to pay the full price we may as well buy a factory unlocked new iPhone and move to straight talk and save $30 a month.

Ya, you know you have to look at your phone+bill cost on annual base rather than monthly....for it to make sense what savings your truly getting. Yes a factory unlocked iPhone 4S is much much much better than stupid Verizon's CDMA with a crippled GSM function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.