Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
This is in the fine print for Google Drive, makes you think twice about it:

Screen%20Shot%202012-04-24%20at%202.11.35%20PM.png

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
While this grants Google the right to do more than they should be doing (and more than they will likely ever do), it is also necessary to avoid claims of infringement. I.e., if Google didn't include this language authorizing them to copy and create derivative works of your content, then they would be susceptible to claims of copyright infringement every time they copy your files to their servers, and when they create derivative works by indexing / sorting those files -- two of the exact things this service hopes to accomplish.

I'm not saying Google is acting like a choir boy, but your hyperbole is clearly what is ridiculous here.

Yeah, I don't trust Google for #$%& nowadays, but in all fairness, most of that type of thing is just legal boilerplate and there as CYA. No need to overreact. Google would be stupid not to protect themselves with that kind of wording.

Still, I'd love to see a comparison to what Apple, DropBox or MS has in their user agreements in that regard.

tonytiger13

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
This might be just specific for my situation, but I was wondering if this or skydive or similar products could off the following.

What I am looking for is a cloud based storage for my iPhoto library, so that anytime I add new photos to it, rather than copying the pics onto my MacBook air Hargrove, it would immediately upload it to the iphoto library in the cloud. I'd also like this library top be accessible from any of my macs, allowing me to add photos or events from one computer and have it show up across all.

Does any product like this exist? Will anything discussed in this thread allow me to do this?

Depends on how large your library is. SkyDrive was 25GB, but is now 7GB. Everything else is lower unless you are willing to pay. You can locate your iPhoto Library file to any networkable/cloud storage. Option-Click iPhoto on your dock and it'll ask what library you want to open, point it to the new location and you should be good to go (repeat on all Macs). iCloud offers much of what you're asking for free, but not quite everything (mostly just photo syncing on all iOS and Mac devices). You may experience a slower experience in iPhoto if your internet speeds are not up to par. And you'd have no access during internet access.

If you do it, you'd almost have to pay for a much larger storage space.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Is G slipping into the copy-cat business model that MS has been criticized for for the last decade?

That would be different for Google how? Google has built their entire company on copying ideas. Hell, they weren't even first to make a search engine.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
Depends on how large your library is. SkyDrive was 25GB, but is now 7GB. Everything else is lower unless you are willing to pay. You can locate your iPhoto Library file to any networkable/cloud storage. Option-Click iPhoto on your dock and it'll ask what library you want to open, point it to the new location and you should be good to go (repeat on all Macs). iCloud offers much of what you're asking for free, but not quite everything (mostly just photo syncing on all iOS and Mac devices). You may experience a slower experience in iPhoto if your internet speeds are not up to par. And you'd have no access during internet access.

If you do it, you'd almost have to pay for a much larger storage space.

Hmm. Im seriously considering it. My iPhoto library is getting to be around 60gb. That's 1/2 my SSD HD space. This may offer a reasonable solution, and make the need for frequent backups irrelevant

Renzatic

Suspended
BTW, you should start your own Mac rumors site in protest and do it right. That'll teach 'em!

Yeah, I know it. If dude guy had his way, and every Apple news site stuck to reporting Apple only news, it'd get pretty boring pretty quick.

This just in: Apple has a bunch of money

Breaking news: Apple still has a bunch of money. Maybe more now.

Tech Rumors: Apple ordered parts which may or may not be used as potential home buttons, which means they may or may not be in the process of making something allegedly innovative. We'll be the first to tell you what these buttons are actually for when we and ever other site finds out about Apple's potential new product next month at 9AM PST when Tim Cook hosts a keynote about something or other (they're not telling us anything).

Breaking News: Macbook Pro supplies dwindle. Is this the first sign of a future MBP refresh? (Update: Sorry, folks. Turns out Bill in shipping and receiving forgot to order some)

Last edited:

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
If anyone is looking for client-side encryption for at least _some_ files, I like the combo of Dropbox & BoxProtect (free) - it's pretty much an encrypted file system in your Dropbox, not sure how it handles sync problems though.

1. Ten years from now, if all of your passwords are still the same, then you deserve to be hacked.

2. Do you really think somebody is going to devote all of those resources over a 10+ year period to hack your database? Seems to me they'd have to have a REALLY good reason.

That is not how it works, computers get faster. In 10 years, if I find some old encrypted data of yours, it might just take me a minute to decrypt it. The contents may still be current enough to sabotage whatever career you're going after.

tonytiger13

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
As much as I use Google, it does sometimes freak me out in this capitalist country that a company seems to offer so many great services for free. Maybe just paranoia or maybe they'll one day pull the rug out from under us all.

cammonro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
1. Ten years from now, if all of your passwords are still the same, then you deserve to be hacked.

You make a good point here. That's one of the benefits of having a password manager - frequently changing passwords should be a simple exercise (since you don't have to remember them anyway).

2. Do you really think somebody is going to devote all of those resources over a 10+ year period to hack your database? Seems to me they'd have to have a REALLY good reason.

That's actually not what I'm saying. My point is processing technology can conceivably (and most likely will) outstrip even the strongest of encryption methods over time - so what takes a century to break now could be done in hours or maybe even minutes or less say a decade from now. Granted this is all hypothetical but not beyond the realm of possibility.

Ergo, there's no excuse for sloppy systems.

I think it makes sense to implement security at every level possible. What business does one app have being able to read the contents of another without permission from that app or the user? It's a flaw.

Lastly, DropBox has had security issues in the past. No reason to say they won't get hacked in the future.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
That's absolutely ridiculous; "evil" does not even come close to what Google determines through these open-ended "permissions"...to create "derivative works" out of my OWN FILES? Are they effing crazy?

That's from Google's general TOS, not a policy specific to Google Drive. I would assume it's for things that are publicly published like Youtube, Google+, or discussion groups (I assume a similar policy is in place here), but they really need to clarify with specific GD TOS so people know exactly what's going on.

How can it be Dropbox be crap or it is their fault that the people you let share the folder don't know shared drive etiquette and to copy the file instead of dragging it?

If dropbox doesn't have the option to give specific people read only access to a file or folder, I'd say that's a big problem that they need to fix.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Wow, offline access to files is really the worse around.

You need to use Chrome (it stores the files somewhere deep in the browser - great) and then it only offers offline viewing (not editing).

Even then viewing only works for those documents you recently edited and only documents and spreadsheets (not presentations, etc).

Ony works for one account too.

tonytiger13

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Hmm. Im seriously considering it. My iPhoto library is getting to be around 60gb. That's 1/2 my SSD HD space. This may offer a reasonable solution, and make the need for frequent backups irrelevant

I meant to say No access during internet outage.

Anyways, if you don't mind your iPhoto library to be local, buy a NAS (Network Attached Storage). Buy one that has RAID for faster access speeds. Seeing how you have an SSD, you might hate going back to the slow norm.

You can access NAS's from off-site using VPN or similar (Apple's Airports allow such access), but again, it's going to be slow unless you have 20Mb/s + internet on both ends, and even then it'll slow down considerably.

Sorry to the rest of the MacRumors posters for being off topic here!

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Legalese always makes things sound worse than what it actually is. That's basically a "hey, if someone takes one of the files you've posted online through a Google account, and uses it for some incredibly awkward Sonic The Hedgehog fanfiction, you can't sue us over it" clause.

Sorry but you don't have to lecture me about what a "derivative work" is - I deal with these issues every day as part of my job.

Besides, Google states THEY would have the right to create such works out of your OWN files, which is unacceptable...it has nothing to do with a simple waiver of liability.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
LOL - According to the terms, Google owns and reserves the right to use EVERYTHING on your Google Drive!

http://cl.ly/1W2h1A163p0W2A3C0M0q

Have fun having your info taken :)

via @sydlawrence

This is in the fine print for Google Drive, makes you think twice about it:

Looks familiar... ;)

iCloud TOS
http://www.apple.com/legal/icloud/en/terms.html
Except for material we may license to you, Apple does not claim ownership of the materials and/or Content you submit or make available on the Service. However, by submitting or posting such Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public or other users with whom you consent to share such Content, you grant Apple a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available, without any compensation or obligation to you.

All storage service providers have similar clauses.

Here are SkyDrive's terms. (Covered under Windows Live TOS.)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/microsoft-service-agreement

Except for material that we license to you, we don't claim ownership of the content you provide on the service. Your content remains your content. We also don't control, verify, or endorse the content that you and others make available on the service.
You control who may access your content. If you share content in public areas of the service or in shared areas available to others you've chosen, then you agree that anyone you've shared content with may use that content. When you give others access to your content on the service, you grant them free, nonexclusive permission to use, reproduce, distribute, display, transmit, and communicate to the public the content solely in connection with the service and other products and services made available by Microsoft. If you don't want others to have those rights, don't use the service to share your content.
You understand that Microsoft may need, and you hereby grant Microsoft the right, to use, modify, adapt, reproduce, distribute, and display content posted on the service solely to the extent necessary to provide the service.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
and when they create derivative works by indexing / sorting those files -- two of the exact things this service hopes to accomplish.

I'm not saying Google is acting like a choir boy, but your hyperbole is clearly what is ridiculous here.

Sorry, but if you understand a "derivative work" as a mere re-sorting of unchanged files, you definitely need to go back to law school - they are explicitly talking about "translations", "adaptations" and the like, for obvious purposes of privacy snooping and extensive advertising.

In other words, Google's self-appointed rights are nothing short of absurd to any reasonable lawyer...and this is why I WON'T use it. You are free to do as you wish, of course.

Edit: not even Apple's TOS for iCloud are that bad - they would also be able to adapt content submitted to iCloud, but "solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available" and limited to areas "accessible to the public" or your friends.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
As much as I use Google, it does sometimes freak me out in this capitalist country that a company seems to offer so many great services for free. Maybe just paranoia or maybe they'll one day pull the rug out from under us all.

First they gave me a free search engine

And I didn't speak out because because I wanted to find stuff on the internet

Then they offered up a nice email service

And I didn't speak out because I could get my email from anywhere because it was all web based

Then they offered up a nice browser.

And I didn't speak out because it was fast and had a nice, minimalist design.

Then they came for me.

And I couldn't speak out because there was really no reason to considering everyone already knew everything about me because all those nice free services they offered was really a front for marketing analytics so they could target advertise directly to me when they send me to the Google Work Camps.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
A little late to the cloud storage game, but I guess better late then never (not that I will ever use it).

I would like to see FREE cloud services hosting. :D Give me storage, a VM and a database, for FREE!

I guess cloud services hosting is only Microsoft and Amazon's game, and certainly not free. I wish I could sign up for the 6 month trial of Windows Azure without providing billing information. Obviously, I am joking about the free hosting BTW.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
In other words, Google's self-appointed rights are nothing short of absurd to any reasonable lawyer.

And yet, as just pointed out, they're very similar to the terms that MS and Apple use for their cloud services.

cammonro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
All storage service providers have similar clauses.

No actually it's not the same - the key differentiator in the iCloud TOS being "Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public". Google makes no such distinction.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
A little late to the cloud storage game, but I guess better late then never.

I would like to see FREE cloud services hosting. :D Give me storage, a VM and a database, for FREE!

I guess cloud services hosting is only Microsoft and Amazon's game, and certainly not free. I wish I could sign up for the 6 month trial of Windows Azure without providing billing information.
Nothing is free.
You will pay for it in $$$ or your information.

As for Google being late to the cloud storage party... hardly.
YouTube (cloud for video), Google Docs (cloud for documents), Picasa (cloud for pics).
It's all merging into one service. Although I don't see YouTube going away anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.