Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I think he meant viable as a product being sold by a business. Viable as in profitable so the company will keep making them.

That could be. It's hard to tell what he means by anything. Then again, the Xoom is stil available.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

(RTTNews.com) - Apple Inc. (AAPL) posted second-quarter net profit of $11.62 billion or $12.30 per share, up from $5.99 billion or $6.40 per share in the year-ago quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected the company to report earnings of $10.06 per share for the quarter. Analysts' estimates typically exclude special items.

Quarterly revenue rose to $39.2 billion from $24.7 billion in the same quarter last year. Forty three analysts had consensus revenue estimate of $36.81 billion for the quarter.​

Nice try.

Not even a nice try, pretty poor if you ask me. He always comes here trying to spread his FUD. This is the same guy who stated that Apple is going to become irrelevant. LOL! Apple keeps proving these pundits wrong. I predict the stock will be back to $640+ levels within 2 weeks easy.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
That's a strawman invented by some Wall Street analyst. Look at Verizon's and ATT's sales numbers of iPhones vs all others. Like they're going to screw with Apple over subsidies.

Those numbers tell that providers that sold most iPhone (AT&T) gained fewer new customers indicating that iPhone does not draw new customers anymore and thus making people think that providers simply have no incentives anymore to overpay for iPhone. It does sound logical to me.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Carriers can't lower iPhone subsidies, it would hurt their business way too much. Much of the world is buying it up just fine without subsidy anyway.

Cook has too much leverage. Apple could just buy ATT and become it's own carrier. Now that would get other carriers pissed off.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Not even a nice try, pretty poor if you ask me. He always comes here trying to spread his FUD. This is the same guy who stated that Apple is going to become irrelevant. LOL! Apple keeps proving these pundits wrong. I predict the stock will be back to $640+ levels within 2 weeks easy.

You should try to understand what FUD means. I just reported the facts that all news outlets reported below the headlines.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Cook has too much leverage. Apple could just buy ATT and become it's own carrier. Now that would get other carriers pissed off.

That would also be a very bad move for Apple and would like cause the stock to plummet.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Apple's ridiculously effective strategy has been predicated on coming up with new hit products every 3-4 years, each successive one being larger than the previous one. So it is perfectly reasonable to wonder what the next big driver of growth will be. I will admit that my crystal ball is cloudy, even if that makes me an apostate.

I didn't know the iMac, iPod, iPhone, or iPad were in the works or coming. Everyone's crystal ball was cloudy. Apple is a success because they don't let the competition know what's coming so it will take longer for them to copy and catch up.

Steve learned the hard way when he gave Microsoft the rights to use the new Mac GIU on MS Office for Mac. Microsoft took it and got a head start on creating Windows, which darn near put Apple out of business in the early 90s.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
C'mon...you call that pullback ?

Yeah, I'd call a drop around fiften percent a pullback, and I'd say someone hoping for a drop closer to 30% for a company doing this well, living in a fantasy.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
You should try i understand what FUD means. I just reported the facts that all news outlets reported below the headlines.

I said "He always comes here trying to spread his FUD", in direct reference to YOU. Which is a true statement, a fact. Like I said not even a nice try. Go spread your Apple hatred elsewhere.

Last edited:

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
i guess tim's comment just now about keeping the air and pro lines separate pretty much kills the conversion rumour!

Oh, you can be certain the rumors will still fly. There's always someone trying to be ahead of Apple.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
C'mon...you call that pullback ? AAPL can run $20-$30 up and down a day with no reason...I was looking for at least $500/share.

Most people call an almost 11% drop in stock price in 2 weeks a huge buying opportunity. Here's their chart for the past 2 weeks. Again my question to you is, where the hell were you?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 5.30.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 5.30.34 PM.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 79

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Been long...staying long (will buy another 10% thur)

price target with 6 months=$763 (trades at 11 times earnings...average company in history s@p trades at 14 times) you do the math... :)

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Been long...staying long (will buy another 10% thur)

price target with 6 months=$763 (trades at 11 times earnings...average company in history s@p trades at 14 times) you do the math... :)

Same here. Been long on Apple since 2008.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I didn't know the iMac, iPod, iPhone, or iPad were in the works or coming. Everyone's crystal ball was cloudy. Apple is a success because they don't let the competition know what's coming so it will take longer for them to copy and catch up.

Right, but it's the people who think they know what's coming next and how well it will do that give me a laugh. For one thing, they don't know, and for another, they probably don't appreciate how this trick becomes progressively more difficult to pull off.

Steve learned the hard way when he gave Microsoft the rights to use the new Mac GIU on MS Office for Mac. Microsoft took it and got a head start on creating Windows, which darn near put Apple out of business in the early 90s.

Sorry, but this never happened. The license Apple granted to Microsoft came after Steve left Apple. Also, Apple's financial problems did not appear until the mid-'90s. The early '90s was the Mac's market share peak.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Those numbers tell that providers that sold most iPhone (AT&T) gained fewer new customers indicating that iPhone does not draw new customers anymore and thus making people think that providers simply have no incentives anymore to overpay for iPhone. It does sound logical to me.

Riddle me this Batman. You're the CEO of ATT or Verizon. You have one quarter where new customer growth was down. What do you do?

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

Cook would never buy AT&T. It doesn't fit their culture or business model. Usually the only reasons you buy other companies is to merge them into your current operations, or get their customers and shut them down. AT&T wouldn't fit into either of these scenarios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.