Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I JB my iPhone at one point and a few things got screwed up and I never felt like the phone got back to acting right after I went back to un-JB software. I never fully reset it but decided to give it a shot this evening.

After I reset it and went through my massive list of apps I have found that I don't really play most of them, especially the more intense games, unless they're on my iPad. The games that are updated to retina res are especially nice to use and play with.

My iPhone is full of pick up and play games, photo apps, social networking, email/rss feeds and music.

What about you? Has the resolution and better screen size of the iPad pushed you to play your apps on it rather than the iPhone? Especially the universal apps?

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Yes. I haven't played any games on my iPhone since getting an iPad. I got the Midway Arcade on my iPhone and then installed it on my iPad, when I got that. I found it to be so much better to play on the iPad

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
most deff, the ipad takes ios games to an entire new level. i cant imagine playing modern combat on anything smaller.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
I upgraded from an old DS phat to a DSi XL about a month before I bought the iPad - should have saved my money, because I haven't played it once since getting the iPad. And I played my old DS for years - on the bus every day, during plane rides, etc.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Honestly, no. It does depend on the game. I mostly play IB II on the iPad but like the icloud support for being able to play it on the go (I find it's easier on the ipad).

On the other hand, a helicopter fighting game I play I mostly play on the iphone but one of the reasons is I started on it first (The iPad I got later) and got such a head start it's hard to play it on the iPad and not work at advancing my character on the iPhone (if it had iCLoud support I'd play it on the iPad at home and the iphone while on the go. It's fun either way honestly, I just find I do better on the iPad despite the fact with my small hands and the fact they set the controls on a set part of the screen (no having controls where you put down your thumb) it feels awkward to play (as well as the iPad being heavier so tilting it and holding it for a long time also gets tiresome).

The iPhone is better sized for handheld games that require more controls or tilting for control but for stuff that requires a lot of swiping and a lot of touching on the screen the iPad is better.

bajaracing

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
Ha, I only use my iPhone as .. a phone these days :) this simple drawsomething app has me hooked!

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Have I missed an option to keep game saves in sync between the devices? :confused: If I'm playing Angry Birds on the iPhone, can we make it so the iPad knows I completed that level when I get home? And if not, we should make it an option to do game only backups to iCloud in the next iOS update.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, kind of. The only time I bother to play my SGSII games are when I'm on the subway, and I only really play Stupid Zombies these days. And my nintendo ds lite is collecting dust. I've had it almost 5 years, I feel bad for it. I might pick it up tonight for old times' sake.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Have I missed an option to keep game saves in sync between the devices? :confused: If I'm playing Angry Birds on the iPhone, can we make it so the iPad knows I completed that level when I get home? And if not, we should make it an option to do game only backups to iCloud in the next iOS update.
Developers have to support that feature, but yes it's possible if it does. (You obviously need the same iCloud account on both devices.)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
My iPad has taken my gaming away from my iPhone AND my PS3/360.

I'm a pretty big gamer (not as much as before I had 2 kids), and I buy a lot of console games every year. But these days, my backlog is really piling up. As much as I love going downstairs to my man cave and playing Mass Effect 3 or Skyrim on the big HDTV, a lot of nights I just feel like it's much better to take my iPad upstairs and game on that until I go to bed. It's much easier than falling asleep in front of the TV, waking up, going up to the bedroom, and then trying to fall back asleep again. It also allows me to be with my family more. Even though I may be looking at my iPad, my kids are usually playing together in the same room, and I can be more present for them if they want me to play with them or start doing something cute that I want to catch on video or take a picture of.

The iPad has reduced my usage of a lot of things. Definitely not as much console or PC gaming happening. No more print magazines laying around the house as all of my subsriptions are on my iPad now. We have 2 HDTVs that I don't usually watch my shows on anymore, because it's just a lot cozier to do that on my iPad. The tower PC doesn't even get booted up these days. My laptop was sold a year ago.

I am the kind of consumer that the big console companies (MS, Sony, Nintendo) are afraid of. I'm seriously considering not ponying up for the next gen consoles.

NTeggerdine

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2011
Montrose Iowa
I JB my iPhone at one point and a few things got screwed up and I never felt like the phone got back to acting right after I went back to un-JB software. I never fully reset it but decided to give it a shot this evening.

After I reset it and went through my massive list of apps I have found that I don't really play most of them, especially the more intense games, unless they're on my iPad. The games that are updated to retina res are especially nice to use and play with.

My iPhone is full of pick up and play games, photo apps, social networking, email/rss feeds and music.

What about you? Has the resolution and better screen size of the iPad pushed you to play your apps on it rather than the iPhone? Especially the universal apps?

I have really picked up my gaming since i got the new ipad, the games they have updated for the new screen are awesome and its 100% better than playing on the ipad 2

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I tend to impulse buy a lot of games, but never actually play them on the iPad. Even though the iPad is bigger and games look better on it, I feel iOS gaming feels built more for mobile so IF I ever do play a game then I still prefer it on the iPhone and when I'm out of the house.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
My iPad is pretty much my only gaming platform....I allow myself one game per mac, so I have Bioshck on my iMac which I'm slowly playing my way through, nothing at the moment on either my Air or my MBP. The Air isn't really a gaming platform though. My iPad, however has rather a lot of games on it...It's just the perfect device for gaming on in an idle moment. I've never used my iPhone for gaming except for solitaire...:)

Last edited:

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
PC is my main gaming platform.

iPhone is my on the move gaming platform.

iPad is my when I am at home playing the little iOS games platform.

Doombringer

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
My PC has the powerhouse/exclusive games... Skyrim, ME3, and my MMOs. I'm not much of a console gamer.

Anything less intensive, I play on the iPad. I downloaded exactly one game for my Mini (Spirits), and it is fun, but really I do not find myself looking to the Mac for games -- just productivity.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
My gaming has evaporated since I got my iPad as I now spend more of my leisure time/dead travel time reading books or catching up on movies and TV shows.

I still can't get used to playing most games with "soft controls." It took me years to get used to FPS games with a joypad versus my keyboard/mouse combo so perhaps I'm just too old school to enjoy most iPad games.

That said, I do have a few I play every once in awhile, or social games like Drawsome which is a good diversion for five minutes or so. But serious gaming....no, the iPad's not really increased/taken over that role.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
I'm no longer a console lady since I have way more important things to do and the iPad 3 is my only gaming device. The prices are perfect! :D

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
My gaming has evaporated since I got my iPad as I now spend more of my leisure time/dead travel time reading books or catching up on movies and TV shows.

I still can't get used to playing most games with "soft controls." It took me years to get used to FPS games with a joypad versus my keyboard/mouse combo so perhaps I'm just too old school to enjoy most iPad games.

That said, I do have a few I play every once in awhile, or social games like Drawsome which is a good diversion for five minutes or so. But serious gaming....no, the iPad's not really increased/taken over that role.

I'm with you there. I usually stay away from the games with virtual joysticks. Lumi is the one exception.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Yes, the ipad has taken over my gaming, but only because I recently moved and now only have access to a crappy laptop (left the tower back home). So I game mostly on the new ipad, though i still prefer to play some games on my 3gs (dragon pass, dungeon raid, kairosoft titles, deathsmiles)

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
i was considering getting a portable gaming system for when i get the urge, finding that for gaming on the go, my ipad has totally eliminated my need / want of another portable gaming-capable system so hell, even saved some money there.

but generally, no, of course my ipad doesnt replace everything related to gaming. i have a dedicated alienware pc i use to play all the "serious" games on, and where i mod them and record my gameplay. i would never consider anything but the windows platform for the heavier gaming at the moment.

playerout

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
I'm no longer a console lady since I have way more important things to do and the iPad 3 is my only gaming device. The prices are perfect! :D

I'm totally with you! I was a console lady when I was younger, played lots of games on Sega and Nintendo..but as I started working and dealing with a family, I dropped it.
Now, with Iphone and Ipad, I'm in the game tunnel again :D
Especially because I can play during my trips to work, on the train, bus or subway.

I mostly play on my Iphone, but there are some games you definitely HAVE TO play on IPad..Infinity Blade, temple run or some fun rpg games are "not admitted" on Iphone but imperatively on Ipad!!!
and if they have retina support...it's the icing on the cake :D:D

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I'm not really much of a gamer these days. I don't count words with friends a gamers sort of game tbh.

I play the odd game of asphalt but it's nothing like the good old days of need for speed 1 on the pentium... Why can't they do a remake of that on iPad? :(

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
For most games, I'll grab my iPad. Rage HD, Infinity Blade, Real Racing HD, Angry Birds Space, Plants VS. Zombies, etc...However when it comes to Words With Friends, I do all of my playing on the iPhone, for some reason I just can't concentrate on my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.