Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dellaco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Hello, thank you for reading this. I would like to make iPad apps, and I want as cheap of a starting cost as possible. I have heard that I need a Mac with 10.5.7 in order to develop so my questions are:

A) What is the oldest piece of hardware that can run OS X, especially 10.5.7?

B) Can you remote to a mac using a Windows machine, and how many connections can it handle through remote?

Thank you for your time.

Carob

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
I'm not sure about 10.5.7. My impression is you need Snow Leopard (10.6) for the latest SDK, and you'd be better off having Lion (10.7) for best compatibility. Lion's system requirements are a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Any Intel Mac ever produced (since ~2006) will run 10.5.

I'd suggest trying to find a system that can run 10.6 and try to learn with Xcode 4. This way you can target iOS 5 and can use the most recent version.

I'd recommend any 2007 or later Mac that can have at least 4 GB of RAM, and the more RAM the better.

B

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
You will need a Mac with a C2D or later CPU running OS X 10.7 Lion to develop iOS apps (older CPU/OS/Xcode combos won't support any currently selling iOS device). The cheapest used/refurb Mac you can find that runs Lion will do.

A stock Mac will allow one VNC remote session. There's add on software that will allow more. No problem remoting to a Mac from a Wintel PC or iPad.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'd go find a refurb Mac mini. It's most likely the cheapest, most reliable Mac you can get that will still have a warranty and apple care.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
I found recently that Apple likes to keep everything close from you OS, Xcode and the latest version of the ios.

For instance, last week I was in Las Vegas with my Laptop and brought a project with my. Found out that I did not have 5.1 SDK on my laptop, So I needed the new version of Xcode to get it but xcode required that I have the latest up date of Lion to 10.7.3 from my 10.7. They like to keep everything updated to work it seems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.