Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fallingleaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Ok my f#$%ed up battery issues are back! For couple of weeks it was ok. Hell I even re-jailbroke and things were fine but again I started getting equal usage and standby time and KNOW that I have to factory restore.

Now 5.1 is out. I want to keep my Jailbreak but when I try to restore 5.0.1 (Holding option key on mac and restoring the 5.0.1 from my desktop) I get an error.

I read a lot of things about having to change the "hosts" document and removing/altering the gs.apple.com line, but then I did not even have such a thing to alter in my hosts. Then I read jailbroken phones do not have that gs thing to begin with. I opened a browser, typed gs.apple.com, got the 404 error which means apparently everything is ok. My itunes is updated (I have only altered it to have colour icons by changing the rsrc).

I still get the error 'This device isn't eligible for the requested built'

How can I restore 5.0.1 without updating???....
I am getting so sick of it that I am even thinking of updating to 5.1 and waiting for a jailbreak....
Actually I am downloading the update now but I thought I try asking here before I update (If I don't get errors trying to update to 5.1. Knowing my luck even that will not work!!)

So if anyone has a solution for a restore without update please let me know.
Thanks.

VERY PISSED OFF AGAIN... Iphone 4s seems to have been a big waste of money and time. For the short time it works it is awesome but it just acts up too much...

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Figured someone would answer you by now, but essentially a 4S can not be updated to 5.0.1, since it isn't being signed and the blobs will not work. You're stuck with going to 5.1 and losing the jailbreak.

fallingleaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks for the reply guys....So basically if the 5.0.1 starts acting up, you can't factory reset but chose to restore (option+restore) and get it back right? No options at all?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks for the reply guys....So basically if the 5.0.1 starts acting up, you can't factory reset but chose to restore (option+restore) and get it back right? No options at all?

Nothing.
Try not to install or mess with any packages that might cause issues cause you'd be stuck restoring to 5.1 with no jb.

debanger

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
iphone 4s stuck in apple logo

same prob. here,i download somrthing in cydia some app tweaks with my jailbroken iphone 4s,,then got stuck in apple logo,,i was gonna restore w/out updating to 5.1 just came out,,because i unlock my 4s with gevey and only 4s 5.0.1 and 5.0 can unlock ,,also my jailbreak will be gone,,

mikolagabor

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
Budapest
iphone boot stucked on apple logo

same prob. here,i download somrthing in cydia some app tweaks with my jailbroken iphone 4s,,then got stuck in apple logo,,i was gonna restore w/out updating to 5.1 just came out,,because i unlock my 4s with gevey and only 4s 5.0.1 and 5.0 can unlock ,,also my jailbreak will be gone,,

hi, I have the same issue - installed a "Telenor Fix" under cydia wich needed here in Hungary to access 3G etc.. - and after it said to reboot it went to an endless boot.. Tried to change commcenter file under tpot - in total commander and also tried to rename whatchdog folder in iFunbox but nothing happened... after all I tried to restore with iTunes to 5.0.1 9A406 but run into a 21 error message... If anyone have a solution please mail me before I restore to 5.1 - :-(

Hypnoman

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
London, UK
Same question but iPhone 3GS

I'm trying to restore an iPhone 3GS. It's currently jailbroken, and running 5.0.1, and I want to keep it that way. I have all the SHSH blobs, but can't find any instruction how to use them.

Basically, I've created a Custom_Restore using PwnageTool, gone into DFU mode, run TinyUmbrella, but as long as the iPhone is in DFU mode TinyUmbrella shows the Recovery Device with a question mark and a different ECID from the one I'm expecting.

If I start the TSS server and try to restore anyway I get an error 11.

Any help?

Hypnoman

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I'm trying to restore an iPhone 3GS. It's currently jailbroken, and running 5.0.1, and I want to keep it that way. I have all the SHSH blobs, but can't find any instruction how to use them.

Basically, I've created a Custom_Restore using PwnageTool, gone into DFU mode, run TinyUmbrella, but as long as the iPhone is in DFU mode TinyUmbrella shows the Recovery Device with a question mark and a different ECID from the one I'm expecting.

If I start the TSS server and try to restore anyway I get an error 11.

Any help?

Hypnoman

You have to use either redsnow or pwnage to put your iphone in "pwned" dfu mode.
Then you have TU TSS server running in the back, open itunes and restore to the custom 5.0.1 restore you created earlier.

Hypnoman

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
London, UK
Still no joy

You have to use either redsnow or pwnage to put your iphone in "pwned" dfu mode.
Then you have TU TSS server running in the back, open itunes and restore to the custom 5.0.1 restore you created earlier.

I followed this to the letter, and, as always, 'The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (11).'

This happens whether I try to restore the Custom 5.0.1 or a genuine untouched 5.0.1

Where to go from here?

Hypnoman

Spikestrip

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
California
I followed this to the letter, and, as always, 'The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (11).'

This happens whether I try to restore the Custom 5.0.1 or a genuine untouched 5.0.1

Where to go from here?

Hypnoman

Right now, you go nowhere. What you want can't be done yet. If you have your SHSH blobs, and your APTicket for 5.0.1, you will be able to downgrade eventually. Also, ihatesnow found a loophole allowing downgras on A5 devices. He just tweeted about this yesterday, and the tool has not been released. Watch for an upgrade to TinyUmbrella from Notcom.

Ebro10

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
same prob. here,i download somrthing in cydia some app tweaks with my jailbroken iphone 4s,,then got stuck in apple logo

I had the same problem here, so I just plugged it in and let it go and it finally reboot, but some apps wont open (including cydia, so I cant get rid of the new apps I downloaded) so I tried to reboot the phone and it did the same stuck in apple logo boot. It is finally working again, sort of. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to un-jainbreak the phone without restoring, so that I dont have to install 5.1, because I would really like to keep my jailbreak.

Spikestrip

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
California
I had the same problem here, so I just plugged it in and let it go and it finally reboot, but some apps wont open (including cydia, so I cant get rid of the new apps I downloaded) so I tried to reboot the phone and it did the same stuck in apple logo boot. It is finally working again, sort of. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to un-jainbreak the phone without restoring, so that I dont have to install 5.1, because I would really like to keep my jailbreak.

Wow, that's a tough situation. If I was in your shoes, I think I would actually try jailbreaking again to see if it could restore Cydia functionality. But please don't hold me responsible if you try that and your phone explodes! Seriously though, it might do bad things, so while I definitely would try that if it were mine, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending that you, or anyone else, try that. What would be best would be to learn how to SSH into your phone, if you can. Using that, you can remove the package you installed, but if you're not familiar with the command line, it's a lot to learn. Not impossible, or really even all that hard, but it looks scary if you're new to it.

Ebro10

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Wow, that's a tough situation. If I was in your shoes, I think I would actually try jailbreaking again to see if it could restore Cydia functionality. But please don't hold me responsible if you try that and your phone explodes! Seriously though, it might do bad things, so while I definitely would try that if it were mine, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending that you, or anyone else, try that. What would be best would be to learn how to SSH into your phone, if you can. Using that, you can remove the package you installed, but if you're not familiar with the command line, it's a lot to learn. Not impossible, or really even all that hard, but it looks scary if you're new to it.

I have already tried that but absinthe just said that the phone was already jailbroken and wouldn't do any thing. As for the SSH how exactly do you do that?

Ebro10

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Unless openSSH installs with cydia automatically I dont have it and cant install it because I can't access cydia.

Spikestrip

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
California
Unless openSSH installs with cydia automatically I dont have it and cant install it because I can't access cydia.

It does install with several different packages, but not with Cydia. You can try things like PhoneDisk, or DiskAid, both of which can help you view the contents of your phone's file system. Since the phone is jail broken, you'll have access to the whole device. What you'll need to do is find out where the offending package installed and remove it.

EngageWithRage

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2012
Your girlfriend's house
hi, I have the same issue - installed a "Telenor Fix" under cydia wich needed here in Hungary to access 3G etc.. - and after it said to reboot it went to an endless boot.. Tried to change commcenter file under tpot - in total commander and also tried to rename whatchdog folder in iFunbox but nothing happened... after all I tried to restore with iTunes to 5.0.1 9A406 but run into a 21 error message... If anyone have a solution please mail me before I restore to 5.1 - :-(

Did you try removing the package via iFunbox by running the command:

apt-get --purge remove (source name)

??

I have had similar issues and by plugging my iPhone (powered off) into my computer (with iFunbox running), I was able to assh into it and run the command after I turned it on

Last edited:

DenJansen

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
EDIT: I misread this as an iPhone 4, not 4S, thread. My instructions below were on a Verizon iPhone 4. Obviously 4S is an entirely different bag. Sorry!

I manage to factory restore to 5.0.1, but the process was less than flawless. I haven't had any problems since, but I accept no responsibility if this screws things up later :D

I started by stitching a custom IPSW in redsn0w using an SHSH blob I saved in TinyUmbrella. Then I went into iTunes and tried to restore using this IPSW while connected to Cydia's server.

About midway through this, I got an error, so I tried to kick the iPhone out of recovery using TinyUmbrella's Fix Recovery/Exit Recovery options. All this did was drop the phone into an endless reboot.

Thinking I just bricked my phone, as a last-ditch effort before restoring to 5.1 I used redsn0w's Recovery Fix utility. After letting it do its thing, surprisingly, I had a fresh 5.0.1 install.

So like I said, your mileage may vary, but it worked for me. :)

tiger285

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012

how did u unlock ur iphone 4s??? i have a iphone 4s on 5.0.1, baseband: 1.0.13 can i unlock mine with a gevey sim??? is it safe and reliable??

THANK U!!

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
So as to not start a brand new post, is this finally an option now what with the ability to downgrade through redsn0w? I currently have 5.0.1 and just want a fresh copy of it.

Basically the same exact issue as OP. My battery life is garbage right now and I want to run a fresh restore of 5.0.1 on my 4S.

Just want to make sure before I pull the trigger...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
So as to not start a brand new post, is this finally an option now what with the ability to downgrade through redsn0w? I currently have 5.0.1 and just want a fresh copy of it.

Basically the same exact issue as OP. My battery life is garbage right now and I want to run a fresh restore of 5.0.1 on my 4S.

Just want to make sure before I pull the trigger...

Yes, with the latest redsnow if you have 5.0.1 blobs for your 4S you can restore back to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.