Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy.b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Hello all,

I am having a problem trying to purchase iDVD from the apple app store. I have searched through it and can not find the program. I am trying to find that program or a comparable program to burn DVDs from Final Cut Pro X. If there is a free source program out there that is good please let me know.

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
iDVD is not available on the Mac App Store (MAS), as it has been discontinued.
You could look for iLife '11 on Amazon, it can be still get there for less than 50 USD.
In between you could try Burn or the Advanced Search for many threads concerning the topic of DVD authoring.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Check out this thread I started pretty recently, I ended up getting DVD Studio Pro 4 as I was unable to find good quality free (or shareware in the $0-100 range) software for that matter. I would recommend DVD Studio Pro 4 or Adobe Encore. iDVD is good for home videos but lacking for anything higher than that.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
iDVD is not available on the Mac App Store (MAS), as it has been discontinued.

Wow... I didn't even realize iDVD was discontinued. I guess that shows how little I actually pay attention to iLife.

Check out this thread I started pretty recently, I ended up getting DVD Studio Pro 4 as I was unable to find good quality free (or shareware in the $0-100 range) software for that matter. I would recommend DVD Studio Pro 4 or Adobe Encore. iDVD is good for home videos but lacking for anything higher than that.

The OP's best bet is probably DVD Studio Pro 4, because if he can find a cheap used copy of FCS 3 you did, it would be a lot cheaper than Encore. The only way to get Encore is to buy Premiere Pro, Production Suite or Master Collection.

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
The only way to get Encore is to buy Premiere Pro, Production Suite or Master Collection.

Adobe seems to be sitting on a golden opportunity to capitalize on Apple's recent shortcomings. I understand that DVD is the past, and online is the future, but what about the present? IMO, Apple pulled the trigger on these programs about two years too early. My customers still want DVDs.

Right now Adobe is pushing to get disgruntled FCP7 users to switch over to Premier. I'd like to see them do a similar push with Encore. Offer it as a stand alone program. Market it to Premier/FCP7/FCPX/AVID editors alike as an alternative to DVDSP. It seems they could make a killing.

It could also help to eventually convert people to Premier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.