Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Since this is the only forum I frequent I figured I would just come here to vent my frustration of looking for steady work... It's been over 2 years now since I have had a steady job and it is all getting frustrating. I'm not saying I haven't worked in the last 2 years just that I only have been working short term gigs...

I applied to many places and all oppurtunites have been unsuccessful even when i make it to the interview stage and am nearly assured a sure thing the rug gets pulled out from under me.

Most recently I got a 2nd interview for a job I am very interested in. It lasted an hour long and was with about 7 people. A couple people came in and out throughout the interview overall i think I did well.

That was Thursday a week and a half ago. I was told that I would hear their decision the following week or later as the department head (whom I interviewed with on my first interview) would be out of town until the end of last week. Here we are on Tue and tomorrow is my birthday and still I have heard nothing. This pressure is driving me nuts...

Any insightful input? I may crack if I don't get good news.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
As somebody who regularly interviews people I'm afraid quite a common practise is to offer the position to your first candidate without telling the others they have been unsuccessful. That way you can still offer the job to choice number two if it doesn't work out.
If you have had a second interview it's not unreasonable to email the HR peron you applied for and ask how you got on. You may find that there is something you need to address in your presentation or answers.
I hope you find something soon. Good luck.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Networking is a better strategy for finding a job.

I actually have a huge network of professionals in my field who for some reason can't help me find work. I was referred for multiple jobs by people in my network and for one reason or another it falls through. It's very frustrating.

I can't imagine that the job I most recently applied for that I am not the top candidate actually, it's that they are taking so long to decide that is killing my confidence. It's an entry level job in a field that I have circled for over 10 years.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I can't imagine that the job I most recently applied for that I am not the top candidate actually, it's that they are taking so long to decide that is killing my confidence. It's an entry level job in a field that I have circled for over 10 years.

Then you're probably overqualified. If you're overqualified the perception is that you'll leave the second something better comes along, which is probably true.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
As somebody who regularly interviews people I'm afraid quite a common practise is to offer the position to your first candidate without telling the others they have been unsuccessful. That way you can still offer the job to choice number two if it doesn't work out.
If you have had a second interview it's not unreasonable to email the HR peron you applied for and ask how you got on. You may find that there is something you need to address in your presentation or answers.

HR person wasn't present at the interview. I emailed with her last Friday and she said that they had not decided yet. My first interview was 3 weeks before I got called for the 2nd interview, so I'm just keeping hope that they are taking their time in deciding.

----------

Then you're probably overqualified. If you're overqualified the perception is that you'll leave the second something better comes along, which is probably true.

Well the difference this is a newer field. More like unexplored kind of job in comparison... It involves social media and I have been a web journalist in the same field for over 10 years. So it's very similar but not the same job.

----------

sounds like he doesn't know yet? not been rejected.

try staying calm and tell yourself its not the end of the world if you don't get it.

Yeah I just need to chill. Thanks for the advice.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Relax Young Grasshopper.

When you reach a certain threshold, it's more about "fit" than "qualifications." In my line of work, at this level, each position has been 100 and 1000 applicants, and usually 5-10 finalists. Actually, one usually expands their network quite significantly during the application process. At that point, it's all about "fit." In addition, if you have a strong network then you're in good shape already.

2 quick things:

A. It seems that the rule of thumb pre-2009 was that one should expect one roughly one month of full-time searching / 10k gross salary. It also seems much tougher now.

B. If you have 10 years experience, why not branch out on your own. Why work for someone else at all?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

It is sad that ethics in companies have gone out the window.

I would call that a VERY VERY unethical thing to do.

I also am of the opinion if you call someone in for a face to face interview you should have the decency to CALL the person and tell them no they did not get a job. It is the least you can do for the person taking the time and effort to go to you for a face to face.

Now if it is only a phone interview level then an email should be the least (even a generic one but at least tell them)

It sad that those ethics are completely gone in today's world. It is something I have learned to make a strong note of at companies is see how they treat the people interviewing with them.

As for the original poster call them. Force them to tell you an answer.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
What I've noticed in advertising is freelance. They take freelance people in and try them out to see if the fit is good, then they make an offer. I'm in that situation tomorrow. I'm having a discussion to go permanent.

Maybe give that a try?

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Since this is the only forum I frequent I figured I would just come here to vent my frustration of looking for steady work... It's been over 2 years now since I have had a steady job and it is all getting frustrating. I'm not saying I haven't worked in the last 2 years just that I only have been working short term gigs...

I applied to many places and all oppurtunites have been unsuccessful even when i make it to the interview stage and am nearly assured a sure thing the rug gets pulled out from under me.

Most recently I got a 2nd interview for a job I am very interested in. It lasted an hour long and was with about 7 people. A couple people came in and out throughout the interview overall i think I did well.

That was Thursday a week and a half ago. I was told that I would hear their decision the following week or later as the department head (whom I interviewed with on my first interview) would be out of town until the end of last week. Here we are on Tue and tomorrow is my birthday and still I have heard nothing. This pressure is driving me nuts...

Any insightful input? I may crack if I don't get good news.
Tell me about it. It's been about 8 months since graduation. I've gotten on gig and had one job in 2010 but after 70 applications I haven't even gotten to an interview.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
B. If you have 10 years experience, why not branch out on your own. Why work for someone else at all?

I actually did that for the last 2 years... ran a craft services business for independent films. But with a new family I need more stability and less 12 hour days. Also I come to realize that I hated being craft services on movies. Back breaking unappreciated work.

So I'm going back to finding a job working in a place with insurance so that I have enough saved up to start working on my own again.

----------

I am interested in finding out what you guys studied, with being unable to find jobs and all.

My degree is useless, it's Communications with an emphasis in TV/Radio. But I recently temped at the desk of a lady who is a VP of one of the divisions I applied for and she has the exact same degree as me. Her field has nothing to do with her degree though as it's in Visual FX for films.

----------

Happy Birthday!!

The best B-day present I could get is this company telling me that I got the job!

----------

Tell me about it. It's been about 8 months since graduation. I've gotten on gig and had one job in 2010 but after 70 applications I haven't even gotten to an interview.

Yeah it's tough... I got one job in Radio a year after I graduated and it only paid 10 bucks an hour and was part time. I quit to move to LA where it's been a struggle until 2007 to 2010 when I had a cush job at a studio for some decent money.

----------

Relax Young Grasshopper.

When you reach a certain threshold, it's more about "fit" than "qualifications." In my line of work, at this level, each position has been 100 and 1000 applicants, and usually 5-10 finalists. Actually, one usually expands their network quite significantly during the application process. At that point, it's all about "fit." In addition, if you have a strong network then you're in good shape already.

Well that's good to hear... I felt I was a GREAT fit in the interview. I got along with all the people there and I feel I connected to at least 6 out of the 7 people I interviewed with in the group (the whole 2nd interview was conducted in a conference room with six ladies and one gentleman). I'm pretty sure I won the guy over as he was very impressed with projects I was involved with in the past. Most of my answers were pretty concise but I did ramble for a couple of questions as I didn't fully understand the context of them. But overall I felt that I had won them pretty much all over.

Also did notice that the person that interviewed before me was only there for 35 minutes while my interview was a full hour long. My first interview was also a full hour.

So I'm just going to keep on hoping that they are really just taking their time on deciding on filling the position as they are a very laid back company (there are people that walk around barefoot at work) and it may very well be the case.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
I remember getting laid off in 2001 during the tech bust. I couldn't find a job for almost a year and I was over qualified a lot of times. I ended dumbing down my resume just to get a manufacturing job. It took me four years before I got another job more align to my profession and salary pre-2001. So my advice is do what ever you have to provide for your family.

As for interviewing, just follow-up with them. A thank you letter would be a nice touch. Just remember that there are more people looking for jobs than jobs so you have to make yourself standout.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I remember getting laid off in 2001 during the tech bust. I couldn't find a job for almost a year and I was over qualified a lot of times. I ended dumbing down my resume just to get a manufacturing job. It took me four years before I got another job more align to my profession and salary pre-2001. So my advice is do what ever you have to provide for your family.

As for interviewing, just follow-up with them. A thank you letter would be a nice touch. Just remember that there are more people looking for jobs than jobs so you have to make yourself standout.

Thanks yeah it's been 2 years for me and pretty rough. I sent a thank you letter the following Monday after my first interview to the department head and the main person I'd be working for (it was a friday over a month ago) and then another one to the head interviewer (person I'd be working for) on the 2nd interview and I asked her to forward the email to the other folks I had met with (she told me to do that at the end of the interview). I was not able to get everyone's email address and missed writing down one person's name as she came in late. The head interviewer said she would forward it to everyone else... whether she did or not is unknown to me... I probably should have CC'd the HR person as well.

I also emailed a follow up last Friday (4/20) to HR asking if there was any news... she reported back that they will decide this week... is today too soon to ask again?

Last edited:

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
I also emailed a follow up last Friday (4/20) to HR asking if there was any news... she reported back that they will decide this week... is today too soon to ask again?

I would wait at least a week. Keep in mind that what you know is only part of the equation. You personality and how they think you will fit in plays a bigger part than most people think. The only thing you can do is keep trying even if it means looking elsewhere. Two of my coworkers moved from California to Texas to get a job.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I would wait at least a week. Keep in mind that what you know is only part of the equation. You personality and how they think you will fit in plays a bigger part than most people think. The only thing you can do is keep trying even if it means looking elsewhere. Two of my coworkers moved from California to Texas to get a job.

That whole fit thing is so fallacious it's not even funny

As if you could possibly know how well somebody is going to work with other people from a 15 minute interview.

I really think managers need to be sent back to school for basic interviewing practices. I've been hearing about stuff like this more and more often.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
As if you could possibly know how well somebody is going to work with other people from a 15 minute interview.

Perhaps not - but I can't remember ever having an interview that short. Any interview that I felt went well lasted at least 45 minutes, some over two hours. All had at least one follow-up interview.

I will say this - 15 minutes is probably enough to figure out you don't want to work with someone.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
OP try looking at some major businesses. Many hire for entry level positions outside of the candidates field.

For example a place near me hired 50 something programmers. The catch? Most had no programming background at all, but they hired them to train them and move them into positions.

Its a popular thing going on in a lot of places right now. A friend of mine works at a HUGE computer company (one of the biggest that everyones heard of) and they just hired a bunch of people that were bankers, insurance salesmen, etc to work in IT because they can't find enough qualified candidates.

Another option is to take a civil service test and look at state jobs. I was ecstatic when I took mine and found I scored the top score in all 10 counties I applied for jobs in, sometimes out of several hundred people. I've gotten lots of job offers since. The civil service test is generally specific to what type of job you apply for.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

I would leave California for a job in a heartbeat... my family on the other hand would be the problem...

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
That whole fit thing is so fallacious it's not even funny

I really think managers need to be sent back to school for basic interviewing practices. I've been hearing about stuff like this more and more often.

Six years ago when I was interviewing for my current job, I went through a three stage interview process. A phone interview, an onsite interview with the managers and a lunch interview with the techs.

I was told that personality was more important than knowledge because you can train someone on how to do something, but you can't train someone on personality. Since then, I have been part of the interviewing team and even though you can't really know how well a person will fit, you do get an idea.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I am interested in finding out what you guys studied, with being unable to find jobs and all.

I studied electronic engineering. I am no in biotech.

I was laid off from a solar panel company. Fortunately I found a new job in a new field.

During my interviewing I saw so much unprofessionalism, rudeness and dis respect.

One company I interviewed with consumed 16 hours of my life. 3 visits to the facility, 2 lunches with directors and senior managers.
Never heard back even after several phone calls and emails.

Other places I had phone interviews with the promise of HR calling for an insure interview, never heard back.

Been told my experience was strong but they were looking for someone with my skill sets at half the price.

Interviewed for a line supervisor jon, temp position $14 and hour no benefits.

Another supervisor job had an expectation of 6 day work weeks.

It's ugly out there and employers have the luxury of hiring on the cheap and taking risks on the people they hire.

I don't have the passion at my new job that I had at my previous one. But it's a job and I am grateful to be earning a decent salary and good benefits.

It's very scary entering into a completely different field after 20 Years.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.