Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With only a little over six weeks of lead time, Apple today officially announced that it will hold its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) from June 11-15 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. Conference passes are on sale now for $1599, and come with a new restriction requiring that purchasers be members of one of the company's developer programs.

wwdc_2012.jpg

Tickets are expected to sell out quickly given past years' trends. Last year, the conference sold out in under twelve hours.
"We have a great WWDC planned this year and can't wait to share the latest news about iOS and OS X Mountain Lion with developers," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "The iOS platform has created an entirely new industry with fantastic opportunities for developers across the country and around the world."
Apple notes that it will hold over 100 technical sessions for developers, with over 1,000 Apple engineers on hand to provide support for attendees.

This year's conference again appears to be focused on both OS X and iOS developers equally, with OS X Mountain Lion set for public release later this summer and iOS 6 likely ready to enter developer testing at the conference ahead of an iPhone hardware update later in the year.

The June 11-15 dates for WWDC 2012 are not particularly surprising, given that a generic "Corporate Meeting" event typical of Apple's WWDC listing appeared on the Moscone Center's calendar last year, and the timeframe also appeared as long ago as April 2010 in a tentative convention calendar listing WWDC dates through 2015. Nevertheless, developers able to secure passes to the conference will need to move quickly to obtain travel arrangements and may encounter high prices, as the U.S. Open golf championship is being held in San Francisco during the same week.

Article Link: Tickets for WWDC 2012 Now On Sale: June 11-15

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
iOS has gone a long way, but is still a bit too limited to my taste. I'm really really curious to know what Apple will add to iOS 6.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Can we get better notifications please?

I feel sorry for people who don't use a jailbroken phone with apps like intelliscreenx or bitesms

Maybe widgets like the weather icon I've used since the original iPhone?!

Maybe enable FaceTime over LTE?

Seriously not hard apple.

Maybe I'll stop jail breaking then

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
does this mean we need to wait another month and a half before we see an iMac refresh or to see if Apple care to refresh their Mac Pro's anymore?

If so this is ridiculous. Would they announce new computers before holding this conference?

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
I wonder how fast they will sell out, last year it was mear hours. Today would not be the day for a developer to take a vacation day and miss the announcement.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
Incredible. Just incredible. I can't wait to discover what innovations Apple will bring to this year's WWDC. And neither can their copycat competitors who will be looking for product ideas for 2013.

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
I know it won't happen but if they were to "announce" the next iphone, that'd be freakin awesome ... i think the quote pretty much tells you mountain lion and ios 6 is a sure thing ... probably ivy bridge macs as well

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
does this mean we need to wait another month and a half before we see an iMac refresh or to see if Apple care to refresh their Mac Pro's anymore?

If so this is ridiculous. Would they announce new computers before holding this conference?

I'd love to know this too.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'd really like to go, but tickets cost over a month's pay. While I work in IT, I doubt my boss would subsidize the cost. :(

Over a months pay? Where do you live where an IT salary is that small and remind me never to live there. Unless cost of living is just that low too.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
iOS 6 woot woot. Surprise me please Apple.

Wonder if they'll consider a bigger venue next year.

Let the deciphering of the invite image begin! ;)

Well isn't it obvious?

The plethora of square shapes (or boxes if you will) indicate the future of sandboxing for all apps. The multitude of sizes of the boxes foreshadows the numerous sizes that will be available for iOS devices. iPhone nano, iPhone 5 and iPhone 5". Plus iPad mini and iPad XL. The multicolors indicates the bright, bright colors that will be available on Mac retina displays.

Oh and of course the apple shape indicates that an apple a day keeps the rumors away... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.